Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: C11 on an Atlas??? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5958811 - 07/07/13 11:55 AM

The only "pretty picture" astrophotography I do is DSLR on my Kenko Skymemo. You have an Astrotrac. You can spend years with such a setup using lenses 200mm and less and there are scores of good targets on which to perfect your skills. I have never, ever, tried a 500mm on my Kenko and I am betting that my Kenko set on a Losmandy G-11 tripod is more stable than your astrotrac. I have used a 300mm which is pushing even my rig.

Save yourself frustration, enjoy wide-field imaging for now, which can include some interesting variable work with a DSLR: see the Citizen Skies initiative. Google Citizen Sky.

Ed

BTW I do photometry, but not with my C11, I use my SN8" with my ST402ME and photometric filters. Much easier on the tracking. Watch out for hyperstar: AAVSO suggests that it is not good for variable work. (No, I do not wish to debate this, just passing on information I have read.)

Also, I feel that my C11 on a Losmandy G11 is pushing the limits for what I use it for: high resolution imaging with a webcam. I don't know much about the Atlas but I would not load it more than 50% capacity if you wish to do astrophotography through the OTA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wz2
Most Boring Astronomer...

Reged: 07/30/10

Re: C11 on an Atlas??? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5958849 - 07/07/13 12:24 PM

Jmandell,

Have you thought about a good, short focal length refractor? If your budget allows maybe one of the 4 element designs specifically intended for imaging. Light weight so not so hard on the mount. And you don't necessarily need real long subs with a faster instrument. People get great shots even using 60mm instruments.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: C11 on an Atlas??? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5959514 - 07/07/13 07:56 PM

Quote:

Uncle Rod, I have given your statement a lot of thought. And I don't have a good theory to explain your findings. I can say though that the vignetting is very strong even on DX / APS-C sensor, in my experience.

I can't speak to every setup and every sky condition, but a flat field or just Gradient Xterminator will take care of this kind of problem and you really should be doing flats anyway.

I used to love to shoot widefield with my ST2000 and a fracking Meade 3.3 reducer. Vignetting? Hell, it looked like you were looking through a freaking porthole.

A good flat applied, and poof, gone.

Edited by rmollise (07/07/13 07:59 PM)

jmandell
sage

Reged: 06/15/11

Re: C11 on an Atlas??? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5959702 - 07/07/13 10:07 PM

Taking the advice from everyone, I think that I will go with an atlas and a shorter focal length scope with my dslr, then move onto a CDC and bigger scope latter.

The two that I've been looking at are the at6rc and the at65edq. I chose these two because they seem to be very good based on the reviews and they are cheap enough so that I won't have to sell my 12"

Thanks

jmandell
sage

Reged: 06/15/11

Re: C11 on an Atlas??? new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5959711 - 07/07/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

The only "pretty picture" astrophotography I do is DSLR on my Kenko Skymemo. You have an Astrotrac. You can spend years with such a setup using lenses 200mm and less and there are scores of good targets on which to perfect your skills. I have never, ever, tried a 500mm on my Kenko and I am betting that my Kenko set on a Losmandy G-11 tripod is more stable than your astrotrac. I have used a 300mm which is pushing even my rig.

Save yourself frustration, enjoy wide-field imaging for now, which can include some interesting variable work with a DSLR: see the Citizen Skies initiative. Google Citizen Sky.

Ed

BTW I do photometry, but not with my C11, I use my SN8" with my ST402ME and photometric filters. Much easier on the tracking. Watch out for hyperstar: AAVSO suggests that it is not good for variable work. (No, I do not wish to debate this, just passing on information I have read.)

Also, I feel that my C11 on a Losmandy G11 is pushing the limits for what I use it for: high resolution imaging with a webcam. I don't know much about the Atlas but I would not load it more than 50% capacity if you wish to do astrophotography through the OTA.

I would not recommend a 500mm on an astrotrac! Our lens is a 60's era Nikon mirror lens and it causes all kinds of problems (strange vignette, donut bokeh, etc.). If your alignment is off by a fraction of an inch, then everything is *BLEEP*

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: C11 on an Atlas??? new [Re: jmandell]
      #5959818 - 07/07/13 11:21 PM

Quote:

Taking the advice from everyone, I think that I will go with an atlas and a shorter focal length scope with my dslr, then move onto a CDC and bigger scope latter.

The two that I've been looking at are the at6rc and the at65edq. I chose these two because they seem to be very good based on the reviews and they are cheap enough so that I won't have to sell my 12"

Thanks

Go with the AT65EDQ in that case. The AT6RC while lighter is still a difficult scope at f/9 and some people really struggle with it, particularly if there is a collimation issue. I think that the EDQ also has a better focuser.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: C11 on an Atlas??? [Re: EFT]
      #5959932 - 07/08/13 01:24 AM

An imaging newtonian like the AT6IN would be faster and cheaper than the AT65EDQ, at the expense of needing a coma corrector and having fiddly collimation. A short fast APO is really the best first choice.

However.. I find myself wanting a longer-focal length instrument that isn't too slow (i.e. an SCT or RC is out) and the imaging newtonians give you that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1100

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics