Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
Dehumidifier is a Great Success!
      #5960256 - 07/08/13 10:01 AM

It wasn't much of a holiday weekend for observing, but it was great for seeing how well my new dehumidifier functioned. Since Thursday, we had between 2 and 3" of rain, with humidity between 90-100%. I am happy to report that, although my POD still leaked some, with the placement of a bucket under my left pivot point and my dehumidifier running, no water at all got on the floor, and the humidity inside stayed at a nice 50%!

Also, through broken clouds last night, I was able to test my 'parked' mount. I am happy to report that starting from 'parked position,' my mount immediately was on target and I was able to go to 4 different objects before the clouds consolidated. I am definitely going to love having this observatory!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Dehumidifier is a Great Success! new [Re: Jmax]
      #5960350 - 07/08/13 11:17 AM

do you have it draining outside or not?
How long do you have it on...?

I run mine 24/7 but on either 3 hours on then 3 hours off OR on a 6 hour cycle..the 3 hour seems (?) to work better...

Mine will not function down below about 45 degrees or so...therefore it just does not get used in the late fall thru winter...

Bob G.

Jmax
professor emeritus

Re: Dehumidifier is a Great Success! new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5960453 - 07/08/13 12:28 PM

Right now it does not drain outside, but that is coming. I am growing tired of emptying the bucket daily. As for running, on mine, you simply set the humidity level you wish to achieve and it runs until that is achieved and then cuts off. It also cuts off when the bucket is full. It is very handy to have this programmable ability. It also has a 'continuous run' mode, but I have not used it.

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
      #5971964 - 07/15/13 10:27 AM

Nice, I have a Skyshed POD and looking into this now. I have a few Canadian Tire GCs to spend and I am tired of the rusting in the POD. Will this one work: http://tiny.cc/rtp9zw

Most if not all are gravity drain, I assume you have to have the drain on a decline if this is the case. I can drill a hole in one of the PODs for drainage.

Edited by Magellan (07/15/13 10:43 AM)

Jmax
professor emeritus

Re: Dehumidifier is a Great Success! new [Re: Magellan]
      #5971984 - 07/15/13 10:39 AM

That one looks very similar to mine, only larger. Mine is a 30 pint. I was also planning on drilling through the bottom of one of the POD walls, but I think there is enough gap at the bottom of the door that I may be able to simply run a hose out there. It just uses a garden hose. Also, on my unit, the hose attachment is a good foot off the ground, so 'gravity' draining should not be an issue.

John

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

#5971993 - 07/15/13 10:44 AM

I linked the wrong one, must be nuts to pay that kinda money lol. I updated the link to show the correct one.

Jmax
professor emeritus

#5972002 - 07/15/13 10:51 AM

That looks almost identical to mine, except mine is a GE. So I think it would be a good choice. The moisture sensing function, I think, is the most important thing. That way you can set a desired humidity level and the unit will cycle off when the level is reached. This helps with the electric bill as well as keeping your dehumidifier from running all the time, thus, hopefully extending its life.

John

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

#5972049 - 07/15/13 11:24 AM

It is said to work down to 4c or 38f which is great and it has a defrost feature. You don't need it in the winter time.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5976182 - 07/17/13 03:13 PM

For me, I looked for one that was as tall as the bay I have a shelf in. So the dehumidifier fit underneath the shelf. I then used a 3/4" hole saw and cut out a small hole near the bottom of the bay, ran the garden hose through the hole then through my deck. I also used a 3/4" o-ring for a nice fit between the hose and hole. My dehumidifier runs at 40% on/off mode.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 732

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics