Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
CGE-Pro question
      #5962260 - 07/09/13 02:09 PM

Is there a way to adjust for the play in the RA axis on this mount. It seems no matter how I balance the axis or how loose or tight I turn the clutch knobs there is play on that axis. I can touch the eyepiece and the object swings back and forth. It's bad enough that when my neighbor's air conditioner goes on 60 feet away the vibration shows up. It's especially tough when I'm trying to image. The mount has a C14 on it.

Thanks for any feedback.
Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starblazer999

Reged: 03/04/13

Loc: Australia
Re: CGE-Pro question new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5962770 - 07/09/13 06:53 PM

The reason the slop is their its set like that at assembly of the mount they claim it tightens up in cold conditions, can have slop at room temp and can even bind up at sub 0 temp the way to get rid of it is to set the anti-backlash on the hand control and have the balance slightly of set. But it is adjustable the spring loaded worm gear has a Phillips head screw below the spring tensioner ante clockwise will allow the worm gear to close in on the main ring gear but adjustments are very fine and you may get binding that you can hear or even micro binding witch will show up with PE and you will void your warranty if found out if that has been adjusted.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: CGE-Pro question new [Re: Starblazer999]
      #5963806 - 07/10/13 10:39 AM

Thanks. If so, I guess that would explain why it's so evident while I was trying to image when it was 105F outside...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGE-Pro question new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5963836 - 07/10/13 10:51 AM

The slop (which is backlash between the worm and wheel) can be adjusted in one of two ways depending on what mount you have (older or newer). To make the adjustment on the older mounts you have to remove the worm/motor housing. Beneath the motor are 3 allen head bolts and 4 allen head set screws. The bolts pull the worm and wheel together while the set screws push them apart. In addition, the arrangement of the set screws also effects the tilt of the worm assembly.

On newer mounts where the RA worm assembly is spring mounted, some adjustment may be made without removing the housing by simply turning the large brass adjustment screw on the housing. However, there are a couple of other screws that limit the inward and outward movement of the worm assembly that may also need adjustment. These, particularly the bottom one require removal of the housing.

Adjustments should be made with the axis slewing so that you can hear the meshing of the worm and wheel. They are done easiest with the clutches released on the RA. The adjustments on either system can be confusing and difficult until you get a sense of what they do. You can easily make things worse so plan to spend a little time on this.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: CGE-Pro question new [Re: EFT]
      #5963935 - 07/10/13 11:45 AM

Hmmm...wondering how hard it would be to talk a knowledgeable person into coming to my house to take me through it...

Paul

Quote:

The slop (which is backlash between the worm and wheel) can be adjusted in one of two ways depending on what mount you have (older or newer). To make the adjustment on the older mounts you have to remove the worm/motor housing. Beneath the motor are 3 allen head bolts and 4 allen head set screws. The bolts pull the worm and wheel together while the set screws push them apart. In addition, the arrangement of the set screws also effects the tilt of the worm assembly.

On newer mounts where the RA worm assembly is spring mounted, some adjustment may be made without removing the housing by simply turning the large brass adjustment screw on the housing. However, there are a couple of other screws that limit the inward and outward movement of the worm assembly that may also need adjustment. These, particularly the bottom one require removal of the housing.

Adjustments should be made with the axis slewing so that you can hear the meshing of the worm and wheel. They are done easiest with the clutches released on the RA. The adjustments on either system can be confusing and difficult until you get a sense of what they do. You can easily make things worse so plan to spend a little time on this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 302

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics