Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
samovu

Reged: 07/05/13

Loc: So CA
EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new
      #5957722 - 07/06/13 03:14 PM

Hi all, have a bead on a used Takahashi EM-400 but it is not marked Temma or Temma2. My understanding is that Temma2 gives better digital control and new motors (motors that may have been introduced before Temma2?).

Any reason to not get an EM-400 that's "pre-Temma"? I believe that this unit is about 6 or 7 years old and no way of knowing if it was used a lot or not. Shouldn't be a problem if it has is my guess.

Any advice?

Also, am new and planning on Astrophotography but am "investing" in a mount capable of supporting possible "future", heavier purchases.

Thanks,
samovu

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: samovu]
      #5957759 - 07/06/13 03:46 PM

EM-400 mounts that I've seen didn't have a Temma-2 label - but they had a control panel just like one. Two toggle switches and two din (round) connectors. If it has a "computer standby" switch and an "RS-232" socket it should be fine. I have wondered whether they didn't label those mounts because perhaps there was no non-Temma version.

samovu

Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5957781 - 07/06/13 04:00 PM

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Actually, I've learned that the used EM400 I wanted does have the Temma 2 label so my question was moot. So much for being a newbie. Will probably delete this post soon to prevent others from wasting their time.

Clear skies to all,
samovu (John C also)

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5958244 - 07/06/13 10:36 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! I suggest that you leave the thread. When members do searches, they may be looking for information about an EM400 and John posted pertinent information about some of the workings of the mount.

David

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5958350 - 07/07/13 12:46 AM

a non-Temma Takahashi mount (usually) has no GoTo.

But I don't think there ever were any non-Temma EM-400s. The EM-400 is the replacement for the NJP (which was available in both Temma and non-Temma versions), but the EM-400 is only available with GoTo.

With regards to Temma and Temma2 - the original Temma slewed quite slowly (as slow as 120X). Basically if you had original Temma you either had very slow GoTo slews, or acceptable GoTo slews if you ran the mount at 24V. If the mount is Temma2, it has at least 240X and up to 700X GoTo slew speed, which is in line with other modern GoTo mounts... unless it's a Temma 2 Jr which is 120X.

But the EM-400 is a higher-end mount in Takahashi's stable and I don't think it ever was available with Temma 2 Jr.

So is this the one on ebay?

samovu

Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5958393 - 07/07/13 01:48 AM

Thanks all for your replies/inputs. Yes, that is the one that was on eBay. I guess when I really want to I can justify anything. I'm diving in with both feet after much reading and have decided that if I can get decent deals on used gear with resale value I can always bail and get a fair amount of my investment back. But the point is not to bail. Time will tell.

I read somewhere that the FS-102 is quite a performer and that with good performers, the mount can give way before the glass does (clear skies and a good eyepiece assumed). So, I overdosed this week by getting (from eBay) the above mentioned OTA and also this EM-400.

When it rains it pours. Am looking forward to spending some time with my teenage boys looking into the heavens. And if they don't want to go, I'll leave them home.

Clear skies to all,
a newbie that OD'd

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5958420 - 07/07/13 02:29 AM

I was watching that mount. I don't need yet another mount but had it not sold I might have gone for it anyway.

Noticed that the best offer was accepted. IMHO the BIN was a very fair price (a steal actually)..

samovu

#5959359 - 07/07/13 06:03 PM

Yes, I got a good deal. I talked myself into needing something that was overkill for starting with a 4" OTA. I'm hoping that it arrives safely and that the internals don't act up anytime soon.

One day I may "need" the higher weight handling capacity of the EM-400 but the goal now is to learn, enjoy, and experiment my new (to me) tube and mount. And maybe get one or both of my teenage boys a bit interested.

Happy viewing to all,
John

Alterf
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/07/06

#5959672 - 07/07/13 09:46 PM

Oh, congrats, John. I was looking at the mount, too. If I did not have an NJP already, I would have snatched it up. The EM-400 is a fantastic mount. Tracking is smooth and easy. Goto is simple with SkySafari and an Apple device if you don't want to cart around a laptop. Congrats on a fine mount. You'll like the scope, too, I bet.

Val

MAURITS
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/09

Loc: Belgium
Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: Alterf]
      #5959970 - 07/08/13 02:39 AM

This is my "Temma 2M" mount.

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5959997 - 07/08/13 03:42 AM

Quote:

I talked myself into needing something that was overkill for starting with a 4" OTA.

No such thing as overkill!

Quote:

I'm hoping that it arrives safely and that the internals don't act up anytime soon.

Unless it's been mistreated, that's not likely with a Tak.

Quote:

One day I may "need" the higher weight handling capacity of the EM-400 but the goal now is to learn, enjoy, and experiment with the FS-102.

A couple years ago, I bought an NJP from a friend who was upgrading to the EM-400.

He seriously thought about hanging on to the NJP -- he just couldn't bear the thought of parting with it -- but luckily for me he handed it over.

So I got the utterly magnificent NJP, while he now declares that he'll never, ever let me have the EM-400. Never, ever.

You're going to love that mount.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: BPO]
      #5960059 - 07/08/13 06:37 AM

I'm curious as to how much the seller accepted for this EM400...

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5960846 - 07/08/13 04:30 PM

The EM400 is fantastic. I also was tempted to buy it at the asking price but since I have the NJP I couldn't justify owning the EM400 as well. They are essentially the same mount with the same tracking precision.
The EM400 is just a more modern design.
The Tak polar scope is excellent.
On a different note if anyone has a P2z that is collecting dust please PM me

Andy

samovu

Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question new [Re: andysea]
      #5960938 - 07/08/13 05:23 PM

Everyone, thanks for your replies. I am definitely looking forward to trying out the EM400 that I will hopefully receive in about a week. I thought that the NJP would also be a good candidate as it is a very nice mount, too. But that eBay listing that stated, "make an offer" just called out to me Being new to all of this, I am looking forward to learning from actual practice as opposed to my "web" learning so far.

Val, thanks for the tip on SkySafari. Looks like a great tool.

Maurits, yours definitely looks better than mine will. As long as mine works well I'll be happy. A little rust never killed anyone (or at least I hope not!).

Orlyandico, I offered 3k and the seller countered with something right about halfway between that and the BIN. After talking to the him for a few minutes I decided to accept.

Happy viewing to all,
John

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5961060 - 07/08/13 06:57 PM

John,
If you are planning do do astrophotography with it you should download Chuck Faranda's Temma driver. That's what I used with my NJP, along with a planetarium software for goto. I used Cartes du Ciel because it's free and it works very well with the Temma driver.
If you don't do AP then Sky Safari will work great for goto on an iPhone or iPad but it wont' have all the nice features that are useful for AP.
You might also need an autoguide cable adapter. The Temma autoduide port uses a mini Din connector. I built one for a few bucks. The pinout is on the TAK Yahoo group.
You should probably join it as there is a lot of good info on there including drawings and specs. Also the guys at TNR are very active on there. My questions are usually addressed in one day or less.

Andy

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5961111 - 07/08/13 07:48 PM

So 3.5K? wow, that's gotta be the mount deal of the year...

samovu

#5961139 - 07/08/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

John,
If you are planning do do astrophotography with it you should download Chuck Faranda's Temma driver. That's what I used with my NJP, along with ......

......You should probably join it as there is a lot of good info on there including drawings and specs. Also the guys at TNR are very active on there. My questions are usually addressed in one day or less.

Andy

Andy, thanks for all the info. I'll eventually try astrophotograpy and will take a look at the sites you mentioned. Right now I've been spending much too much time researching (and acquiring) h/w and now it is time to actually do some viewing. I don't even have a scope yet but that will change tomorrow when my "other" eBay purchase arrives. I'm hoping that the 4" refractor and accessories arrive safely.

Clear skies,
John

Edited by samovu (07/08/13 10:44 PM)

samovu

#5961151 - 07/08/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

So 3.5K? wow, that's gotta be the mount deal of the year...

Yes, I had some pretty good luck last week on eBay. Will try to take one or both of my boys to some dark sky area this weekend. Anything to get them off of computers and game consoles although their time with both are limited.

Let's get out of the house. What a concept!

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5963844 - 07/10/13 10:55 AM

Congratulations on both purchases! I agree that buying quality is the easiest way to only buy something once. And yes the resale holds well too, a great way to go if you have ca$h.

samovu

Re: EM400 without "Temma or Temma2" question [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5965098 - 07/11/13 01:40 AM

Quote:

Congratulations on both purchases! I agree that buying quality is the easiest way to only buy something once. And yes the resale holds well too, a great way to go if you have ca$h.

Yes, that was my rationalization and at least with mounts, will no longer need to "buy better". I only wish that would hold true for OTA and eyepieces but if there's a will there's a way.

Clear skies,
John

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 880

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics