Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
Void Xero

Reged: 07/10/13

Large bodies of water any help?
      #5968177 - 07/12/13 09:57 PM

Hi, just getting back into astronomy after having been away from the hobby for decades. I live in a very light polluted suburb but I am pretty close to Lake Michigan. Does it help to observe over a large body of water? Or will the surrounding sky glow be so bad it won't make any difference? I was thinking that at least air turbulence might be reduced over large lake.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Large bodies of water any help? new [Re: Void Xero]
      #5968378 - 07/13/13 12:38 AM

Definite benefit! Here in west end Ottawa, the Ottawa river, which widens to Lac Dechenes, affords me a notably darker corridor separating Kanata (and more west Ottawa) on the south/southwest side from Aylmer/Gatineau on the north/northeast side.

A wider expanse of water, which covers a larger range in azimuth would be better still. Especially if it extends in depth some tens of kilometres until the far (assuming populated) far shore.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
Re: Large bodies of water any help? new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5968548 - 07/13/13 04:50 AM

Yes, get out to the shoreline and away from direct light sources. Lake Michigan is big enough to make a real difference. Assuming you're around Chicago (assuming the worst), you should still have a fairly dark sky to the northeast.

I suggest a scouting trip first, before an observing trip. Let us know what you find. You might try Illinois Beach State Park, just from perusing a map.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Large bodies of water any help? new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5968793 - 07/13/13 10:40 AM

Hi Void Xero and welcome to Cloudy Nights. The lack of light sources on the water does help. However as you well know when the lake effect rain and snow arrives observing goes down the tubes.

Void Xero

Reged: 07/10/13

Re: Large bodies of water any help? new [Re: star drop]
      #5975027 - 07/16/13 09:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all of you! I'm just a bit north of Milwaukee, actually. So maybe not the "worst case scenario", but still pretty bad. I think the only real problem now is finding a place down by the lake were it is legal to set up a scope late at night. Many municipal parks close at 9PM around here.

stevecourtright

Reged: 11/12/09

Loc: Evanston, Illinois
Re: Large bodies of water any help? new [Re: Void Xero]
      #5978342 - 07/18/13 05:05 PM

I have personal experience with the area north of Chicago along the lake, and frankly, it doesn't help very much. It might get you one zone better. OTOH, the Door County area has a lot of very dark skies. So, perhaps you would be satisfied with some astronomy "lite" in your neighborhood with some outings to the North to get your dark sky fix.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 611

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics