Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
BullTerrier

Reged: 03/09/13

AVX Newbie new
      #5968391 - 07/13/13 12:52 AM

Hi Folks. Just got an Celestron AVX mount today and have a few questions.
I'm able to use the hand control to slew with no issue.
I didn't do a star alignment but fairly accurately polar aligned. The issue that I'm having is that it doesnt seem to be tracking in RA. I set the tracking mode to EQ North and the tracking rate to sidereal. But the object in view keeps drifting out of the field as if I did not even have the drive on. Am I missing as setting or something ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: AVX Newbie [Re: BullTerrier]
      #5968515 - 07/13/13 03:33 AM

The hand control probably expects to have SOME sort of align done before it starts tracking. Using the "Quick Align" or "Last Align" options will probably do what you need. Here is a cut-n-paste from the AVX manual on the Align types:

Quote:

• Quick-align will ask you to input all the same information as you would for the Two Star Align procedure However, instead of slewing to the alignment stars for centering and alignment, the telescope bypasses this step and simply models the sky based on the information given
• last alignment restores your last saved star alignment and switch position. Last Alignment also serves as a good safeguard in case the telescope should lose power

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 248

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics