Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Denkmeier IVB
      #5971495 - 07/15/13 12:02 AM

If I haven't missed a posting on this, has anyone here tried one, yet?

denk page

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Denkmeier IVB new [Re: DavidNealMinnick]
      #5971746 - 07/15/13 06:55 AM

I have the whole Binotron 27 super system for SCT on order, should probably be receiving it sometime next week. It includes the IVB

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Denkmeier IVB new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5971781 - 07/15/13 07:49 AM

I got one at NEAF ,make shure it threads on all the way I had to have my machinist friend rethread mine as the thread pitch was wrong.
Pete

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Denkmeier IVB new [Re: DavidNealMinnick]
      #5971825 - 07/15/13 08:40 AM

I have not tried one, but 38mm of light path reduction is a powerful incentive for people that use binoviewers on SCTs.

Also, on a recent thread, someone had bought a Baader Clicklock and was impressed with it, but several of us mentioned that when using binoviewers with heavy eyepieces, we did not get great results.

This looks like a great way to improve on both attributes (the Baader SCT Clicklock adatper actually has about 40mm of light path length).

In an SCT, 38mm of back focus reduction will reduce the focal lenght by 100mm or so, and if the system was working at a reduced aperture, will restores about .2" to the system.

For a given pair of eyepieces, you get a bigger field and a brigter view, and less apeture reduction in most SCTs if the back focus was more than about 200mm

I am very pleased the Denkmeier is offering this option. I am hoping that they will soon start offering a Baader Quicklock compatible dovetail for people that want to do 1.25 diagonals.

There are a lot of compromiss when using Binoviewers, and many of them are direct consequences of light path length.

Looking forward to first reports.

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: Denkmeier IVB new [Re: germana1]
      #5971973 - 07/15/13 10:32 AM

Quote:

I got one at NEAF ,make shure it threads on all the way I had to have my machinist friend rethread mine as the thread pitch was wrong.
Pete

Yeah, I just noticed mine does not thread on all the way either. I was an early adopter too. Will talk to Russ about it.

But I love the rest of the system and that light path reduction is most appreciated along with the considerably lighter weight of the system.

Jeff

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Re: Denkmeier IVB new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5972124 - 07/15/13 12:06 PM

I ordered their special dove tail connector (second item down in the price menu). This enables one to connect their denk bino directly to the denk 2"diagonal body without the need for the typical 2" slip in connector and 2" bino nose-piece. This combo should reduce the by approx 30mm. Quite an improvement for those wishing to keep the fl of the system as short as possible.

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Denkmeier IVB new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5972422 - 07/15/13 02:39 PM

Jeff if You ck the thread pitch on the adapter is 24 tpi and it should be 32 tpi,I wanted it all the way on as not to screw up the threads on the scope this way the locking screws tighten on the flats on the VB. luckily my friend fixed it.
HTH Pete

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 310

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics