Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: mega256]
      #5971134 - 07/14/13 08:13 PM

Like a lot of folks here I like to scan the classifieds just to see what is being offered. They also tend to tell a story . . . a few scopes hardly ever show up there, which tells me that people who own them are just loathe to let them go this side of bankruptcy desperation. You don't see many AP or TEC refractors for sale, and in SCTs I personally rarely see a 9.25 OTA or any Edge OTAs for sale. That tells me that people who have them tend to hang onto them, and that implies that they are darn good scopes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Benjamin B
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Sweden
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5971179 - 07/14/13 08:57 PM

I do see quite some edge telescopes every week on astromart. Often c8 and c11. I do also think that c9, 25 is not that popular as the c11 which is a big seller when it comes to large telescopes.

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Benjamin B]
      #5971241 - 07/14/13 09:42 PM

I did a sort for one year on hd and edge...on am
There were only a few otas.....but there is now a great 1 yo 8" edge at 875 shipped....hummmm..

There were also few scopes with mounts ,,,but that's it...If you look close at the list a lot of them are "lookin for ads..

They seam to sell fast

Edited by mega256 (07/14/13 09:43 PM)

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Benjamin B]
      #5971254 - 07/14/13 09:51 PM

Jim, yeah I thought you had a Tec. Very nice. does it have the F/T or Tec focuser?

I'm beginning to understand this whole shopping cart thing, I'm in the middle of buying a dslr. So far its been Nikon, Canon, Nikon, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Canon etc etc.

Mega, that was my thinking with 1100 edge exactly. Mine isn't going anywhere.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: crow]
      #5971467 - 07/14/13 11:42 PM

Mine has the FT focuser. It's S/N 446. I think that was two or three runs before TEC started making its own focusers. For years my adventure camera has been an Olympus E420 micro 4/3rds DSLR. I chose it primarily for the price and compactness for backpacking/bouldering. It has taken a licking and is still ticking, but has gotten somewhat long of tooth by current standards. I was looking to refresh my DSLR, and a funny thing happened. I accidentally read a few reviews of the new class of enthusiast point and shoots; cameras like the Sony RX100, Olympus YZ-2, etc. The bang for per cubic centimeter of volume is insane. But in keeping with the cheap bastahd in me, I shopped them for value. One of the stalest if these prosumer point and shoots was the Panasonic Lumix LX7. A year and a half ago it was a $600 camera. I bought one new for just under $300. For my intended use, I'm ecstatic.

I have big plans for a thoroughly illustrated article covering this trip, complete with dozens of images from the entire OFLI astro-crew. I suspect the itty-bitty Panasonic will more than hold its own. I'm still learning the features though. It's loaded. My most immediate project for the camera is to figure out the panorama mode so that I can do my own custom realistic horizons for Sky Safari.

But I digress. I'm still wrestling with the "which 9.25" question. The best SCT I've ever looked through is CNer Varmint's C9.25 (an older made in USA model). I've never seen a bad one, in fact. Also, as you say, of the six apertures, the 9.25 alone has a "hallowed" reputation. I'm starting to convince myself that I can't go wrong with either C9.25.

Also, I'm planning on getting a CPC-1100 Deluxe next year sometime as my portable observatory for a 2 week backcountry extravaganza during my upcoming sabbatical (or the next time the CPC Deluxes go on sale), so eventually I'll enjoy the Edge enhancements even if I go standard SCT for this trip.

I'm gonna pick one *before* I go to bed tonight...

Regards,

Jim

fjs
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/13

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5971560 - 07/15/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna pick one *before* I go to bed tonight...

Regards,

Jim

Just don't bash your head on the keyboard.

Dunkstar

Reged: 03/26/12

Loc: Under the sky
      #5971617 - 07/15/13 02:54 AM

The C9.25 is only believed to be hallowed because it gets posted and re-posted as such it just happens to sit in the sweet spot between the C8 and C11...most really want more than a C8 but don't like the all the noise about mirror shift from the C11, and think it's bigger than it really is, which isn't all that much bigger than the C9.25.

$800 for the Edge is a big pocketful of change

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Dunkstar]
      #5971928 - 07/15/13 09:56 AM

Jim, The Panasonics look really good. I've a big need for video as well as photo for a current project and in that respect they probably beat out the canons. The GH3 is very impressive. I've always had a soft spot for Nikon gear though and the 7100 looks really good but mostly for photo work I guess. The Nikons have a slightly clunky video mode although the quality is there for sure.

I need to sit down and narrow it down, there are a lot of good options out there at the moment which makes it tough. The new Canon looks interesting also.

The weird thing is I'm making a way bigger deal over a 1-2k camera than I ever did purchasing the the 3 grand Edge. I kind of like the jam jar bottoms in the baffle.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: crow]
      #5971939 - 07/15/13 10:05 AM

Drum Rollll.......So which is it?

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: orion61]
      #5971950 - 07/15/13 10:13 AM

Well..............?

McUH

Reged: 05/29/13

#5972128 - 07/15/13 12:07 PM

Quote:

then in two years when standard SCTs are no more, and the 9.25 Edge HDs are priced at $1300 I'll have the privilege of kicking myself all over again on the value question.

True, but with this attitude you will never buy anything ! My computer was more expensive than the Edge and I know it will need replacement after 4 years. At least the scope will perform equally well even if the price drops and it should be useful for many many years to come.

Quote:

it has to be *worth* $800 (any Ethos) more

This is individual and only you can decide for yourself. I'm visual only and for me Edge was worth it for C9. On the other hand, for me the Ethos is not worth the increase over decent $150-$200 eyepiece. However, if you already have Ethos, then you have one more strong point towards the Edge - for extra wide eyepieces you should choose a scope that can match theirs FOV in performance.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: McUH]
      #5972139 - 07/15/13 12:19 PM

"True, but with this attitude you will never buy anything!"

That is a non-sequitur. What it actually means is that I will not buy anything *new*; I won't be an early adopter and instead will but goods that have been out for awhile and whose prices have surrendered the hype-driven premium that surrounds a new product.

The best values are usually to be had with established products that have been superseded in the consuming public's short attention span by bright new objects.

But as it turns out I did buy the "new". I went for the Edge HD C9.25, added an Astrozap passive dew shade for now (the trip will be very dry) and also a Feathertouch Microfocuser. I'll need a dew heater strip eventually, too. I already have a C9.25 Pacific Design padded soft case, and the 2.7" Astro-Physics SCT visual back. I also ordered the new Orion Atlas upgrade kit (CW carrier, larger eyepiece tray, beefier CW shaft and extra 11# CW) but it's on pre-order and is projected to ship on August 13th. It may or may not arrive in time for the trip as a result. When I get back, I also plan on refreshing my Atlas. Sell my well-used 7-year old unit and replace it with a new one. My Atlas has never been sick a day in its life. Club mates with CGEMs have had ongoing problems. The Atlas may not be *NEW* but to me, it's the best value in mid capacity mounts. Though it might be cool to fetch one of the white Sky-Watcher versions out of Canada for something less common.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This did turn out to be a "crowd-sourced" purchase.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (07/15/13 12:26 PM)

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #5972187 - 07/15/13 12:54 PM

Ah! You decided! I think you'll be happy with that choice!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: WesC]
      #5972426 - 07/15/13 02:42 PM

Two things clinched it. The purported extra time taken centering the corrector to ensure that Fastar on the Edge scopes actually works as intended, and the bigger rear aperture/baffle allowing me to use my A-P 2.7" adapter and minimize vignetting using wide field 2" eyepieces and a 2" diagonal.

I think I'll be pretty happy too, though I suspect the first time a dust devil engulfs the scope, I'll be wishing it was the cheaper standard C9.25.

- Jim

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#5972463 - 07/15/13 02:56 PM

Hey good for u...enjoy...
It will be interesting to read your adventure..

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... [Re: mega256]
      #5972536 - 07/15/13 03:39 PM

Jim, good choice (I think)! If it ends up being like a lot (myself included...) got, I think you are going to like it. It is quite amazing to see the entire field look perfect. Perfect little airy disks everywhere!

Clear skies,

mskillen

Reged: 06/07/13

Loc: Maryland
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Gord]
      #5972797 - 07/15/13 05:48 PM

Congratulations Jim, glad you figured it out =)
I would like to hear what you think of it after you have had it out for a test run.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: mskillen]
      #5972821 - 07/15/13 06:09 PM

I was a day late on this thread. I was going to suggest the 8"EdgeHD. I have one with the AVX mount and fully assembled with weights, cameras, it is so light I can pick it up and carry it. Makes grab and go a reality for me.

mattz
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/03/06

Loc: Where is Rescue CA?
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5972889 - 07/15/13 06:43 PM

Always go with quality in this type of decision. (b)

And PM me when you want to sell the C6...

And have fun!

Edited by mattz (07/15/13 06:44 PM)

mattz
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/03/06

Loc: Where is Rescue CA?
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: mattz]
      #5972895 - 07/15/13 06:46 PM

Ah, I see you took my advice before I even gave it! Very good. Enjoy the new scope.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3789

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics