Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: REC]
      #5959041 - 07/07/13 02:29 PM

Thanks for the spreadsheet . Some of the comments are interesting. Where applicable I always refer to Skiff and Luginbuhl . Nice to see some other remarks too.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5959506 - 07/07/13 07:52 PM

I definitely want to take a look, guides like this help. . What's the best way to plan them out? some of them aren't coming up at reasonable hours. . .Like the egg for example I defiantly have that on my must see list. is there something you guys use that helps you plan the best times to view them?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5959567 - 07/07/13 08:40 PM

I'm using the length of summer and some fall. When I go about it - and Ive seen half or so of these already, ill mix it up a bit with easier and more difficult. I haven't done it in a while as my mirrors older coating dissuaded me from trying anything challenging (beyond mag 10 under my sky's), but that was my M. O..

The really small stuff does best on steadier nights even if its not the clearest of all.

Pete

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #5960259 - 07/08/13 10:04 AM

Quote:

...What's the best way to plan them out? some of them aren't coming up at reasonable hours. . .Like the egg for example I defiantly have that on my must see list. is there something you guys use that helps you plan the best times to view them?

All of the constellations listed seem to be best viewed in the summer time, except for IC 3568 Planetary Nebula in Camelopardalis and it is close to Polaris, so still viewable. Remember that NGC numbers increase with Right Ascension so if your view of the sky is limited, start observing with the lowest numbered object in the area of sky that you can see and view them as they rotate into view. First find all of them on your atlas before trying to view them, it makes finding a logical order easier. I think when you do this you will see that almost all of them can be viewed in the evening.

P.S., This is up at a very reasonable time now. CRL2688 = PK 80-6.1 = IV ZW 67 = UGC 11668 = the "Egg Nebula". It is located within Cygnus at R.A.= 21h 02.3m; Dec.= +36d 42m

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: blb]
      #5961479 - 07/08/13 11:56 PM

that's cool I like learning new things here!

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5961550 - 07/09/13 01:09 AM

Pete,

Thank you for putting together a fine list...I just love observing lists! Some of these will be new for me which is always a good thing.

And thanks J.C.F. for the spreadsheet. I always enjoy comparing the descriptions of prolific observers with what I myself see. Nice work!

Thanks Guys!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5963102 - 07/09/13 10:20 PM

I've been googling my neighborhood and surrounding towns to make a start on this list. I just can't seriously consider making a go of this with the lit parking lot and ghastly 5v sky. The next town over has some potential good secluded spots if the Google Earth images are fairly representative.
I want a nice long respite full restoring evening with these.

Pete

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
      #5963369 - 07/10/13 01:01 AM

I hear ya. I have a green zone 45 minutes away I would like to take my dob out and hit this list with. Or at least a good portion of it. I get under a really decent sky infrequently enough that I'm very easily sidetracked and all of a sudden it's 3am.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5963454 - 07/10/13 02:47 AM

Quote:

I just can't seriously consider making a go of this with the lit parking lot and ghastly 5v sky.

I can understand your contempt of the brightly lit parking lot, but a NELM 5 sky isn't bad at all. I can see most of these planetaries in a 4" under a NELM 2.5 summer sky, with the Sun less than 12° below the horizon. The trick is to use high magnification, which you're going to anyway, since they're small.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5964551 - 07/10/13 06:42 PM

I just got a new scope (C11 Edge) last week and had a lot of fun observing about a dozen of these planetaries from the darker of the two sites I use here in west TX. Planetaries are cool on their own, but add a ragged milky way with lots of dark nebulae and few coyotes yelping off in the distance for a really memorable observing session. I had never seen many of the fainter PNs before due to living in the light polluted northeast until a few years ago.

A few nights ago, I imaged NGC 7139 in Cepheus from a slightly less dark site. Here's a clickable thumbnail below. I love imaging PNs as much as observing them. The diversity in colors and shapes is amazing.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #5965156 - 07/11/13 03:46 AM

There's no question that a dark sky is the best, but it's not strictly neccesary for many of these little nebulae.

Your observing site sounds awesome.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Ben Therrell

Reged: 10/09/12

Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5965437 - 07/11/13 10:09 AM

A most elegant image, Ron! Thanks for posting.

Edited by Ben Therrell (07/11/13 10:13 AM)

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #5969093 - 07/13/13 02:30 PM

Nice image Ron - reminds me of NGC 6781 in Aql:-) I'll give it a go in a few min rather than hours as your pic :-)

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Challenging Summer Planetaries [Re: nytecam]
      #5973142 - 07/15/13 09:22 PM

Normally I don't spend much time thinking about aperture, but after the past few nights of hunting down a dozen or so planetary nebula with my 200mm, I found myself wishing for a Dob for more detail.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1501

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics