Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
wfj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/10/08

Loc: California, Santa Cruz County
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: northernontario]
      #4988851 - 12/28/11 05:30 PM

My experience is like TenthEnemey's - all I can add, is that I only reliably found it when it was effectively overhead. This with 10,12.5, and 14.5" scopes 10 miles outside of a metro light dome.

If it helps, when I first spotted it, it reminded me of a lumpy group of PN's, and once I knew where it was, I maxed out each scope on magnification to darken, all near 1mm E.P. Would make out 3-4 members but not the fully set from a "red" / "orange" LP zone.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: stratocaster]
      #4988872 - 12/28/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

I recently got back into the hobby myself after a long hiatus. Went to Cathedral Gorge with LVAS this past September, if I recall. Set up right next to Feidb. Yes, a great site. Can't wait to go there again. The next LVAS deep sky observations were in Death Valley at Furnace Creek. One of the members of the LVAS has a 24" Obsession. I happened to go take a peek while he was looking at Stephan's. It looked very close to the pictures in his atlas. Great view. Next opportunity I want to see what I can get out of my 10" dob, if anything.

Off topic , sorry , but is this Cathedral Gorge the spot in Zion National Park ?

stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: starrancher]
      #4988901 - 12/28/11 05:58 PM

This would be Cathedral Gorge State Park near Panaca, Nevada. See http://parks.nv.gov/cg.htm

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #4989103 - 12/28/11 08:35 PM

Jake..

You should easily see the quintet using a 16" scope in your skies. I have seen it with my Meade 12" SCT from a yellow-green zone. It is a very small/compact group of galaxies given it is some 300 mly from earth. Good luck..

Bill

Bill

John K
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Vernon BC Canada
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #4989127 - 12/28/11 08:53 PM

With in the orientation of my sketch you would go down and to the left about two fields of view.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #4989356 - 12/29/11 12:28 AM

Quote:

I am trying with a 16 inch f4.5 Dob from just on the fringe of a yellow to green zone.

jake

Then it should be easy if you are in the correct spot. I'm guessing you aren't quite looking in the proper spot or with too low magnification.

I'm guessing my back yard has similar conditions to where you describe and I can detect a distortion to the spot with my 6" and it's a piece of cake with my 12.5". Once from 6000' at the Mt Kobau Star Party I could just detect the clump with my ED 80. It's about knowing the field or having a good chart.

Bill

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #4989548 - 12/29/11 05:31 AM

While I can SEE Stephan's Quintet most any clear night at Chiefland Astronomy Village...bringing out any DETAIL still requires excellent transparency - even with a 28" scope...and CAV is in a dark blue region.

Once in a while we get a really special night and I was lucky enough to be looking at the Quintet there 3 years ago when we had just that -
a truly dark sky with absolutely perfect transparency!
I also found that the electronic gods had smiled upon my endeavor and the big scope was tracking solidly so I put my Mallincam in the focuser and the resulting image is here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mallincam/photos/album/2118985599/pic/1782973081/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

This is a single frame. Actually a hand-held digital camera snapshot of my 9" monitor screen. The iteration time is 56".

I've never been able to duplicate this. It goes to show what others have said. Seeing conditions are everything. I've even experienced nights when the Horsehead is totally invisible even with a 28" scope and Hb filter!
If the sky background is brighter that the object you're looking for, you won't see it with ANY sized telescope.

On the other hand - the BEST "eyepiece view" I've ever had of the HH was with a 10" Teleport! It was PERFECT....for about 10 minutes!
15 minutes later it was totally invisible, although the sky didn't LOOK any less-transparent.
As with the detail in Stephans' Quintet...I have never again seen the HH that beautifully, even with 4X the aperture!

Mike Harvey

Edited by Mike Harvey (12/29/11 05:33 AM)

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #4989865 - 12/29/11 10:49 AM

Sorry, I am not a member so I could not see the photo.

Jeff Young
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/04/05

Loc: Ireland
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: blb]
      #4991623 - 12/30/11 08:53 AM

What an image, Mike! Is that a single 56-second exposure, or a stack?

Jeff.

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Jeff Young]
      #4992430 - 12/30/11 04:08 PM

Single 56". And that's just a hand-held snapshot of the monitor screen! The real-time on-screen image was better!
Mike

Mike

Jeff Young
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/04/05

Loc: Ireland
Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #4994246 - 12/31/11 02:32 PM

Quote:

... The real-time on-screen image was better! ....

Sweet! What a night that must have been.

Chers,
Jeff.

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Jeff Young]
      #5973116 - 07/15/13 09:05 PM

I had some excellent conditions last night from Bortle 3 locale. At around 1:30 I took a look and found NGC 7320 with my 200mm and ES 6.7mm/149x. Wearing my observing vest and tracking along for several minutes, eventually I could see it. Elongated and broad.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Stephan's Quintet [Re: John_G]
      #5973295 - 07/15/13 11:05 PM

John, et al;

NGC 7320 is the galaxy in the group that we call "Big Mushy" it appears as the largest galaxy in Stephan's Quintet and has a mediocre surface brightness. All the other galaxies need 150X and up to make them stand out well.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2815

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics