Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Messyone
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Schaden]
      #5961121 - 07/08/13 07:57 PM

Congrats Schaden. Gotten into doubles too recently and got my first Antares split last night As others have said seeing is everything.Using an XW 7mm I watched with my 6" f8 achro for nearly an hour...and got there in the end. Seeing wasn't that good, spotted the b star,which was green to my eyes and oh so close to Antares, in glimpses here and there. Had to keep watching to be sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.
I tried using a semi-apo filter with no luck for 20 mins before removing it. Antares was pretty much overhead too.
I'd love to see this in better conditions.
Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Bonco]
      #5961266 - 07/08/13 09:47 PM

I was so shocked to split Antares so cleanly a few years ago at a very modest power (x80) with my Tak FS-102...I had no real expectation of doing it but tried it anyway. That was a very memorable observation (no filter and I'm a very experienced observer - no doubt about splitting it).

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Svezda]
      #5963189 - 07/09/13 11:06 PM

Did you get a picture? I looked at Antares but I didn't know it was a double. . .

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Svezda]
      #5963200 - 07/09/13 11:11 PM

I had a nice time with Antares at the 2nd annual Nebraska Star Party. It was in twilight and the seeing was excellent, so I put my 10 inch f/5.6 Newtonian on it. Sure enough, the companion was plainly visible at around 220x. Just for fun, I put on my variable aperture stop on the front of the scope and dialed things down to only 97mm (3.8 inches). The companion was still there, although at only a 2.6 arc second separation, it was considerably more difficult to see than it had been with the full 10 inches of aperture. Clear skies to you.

Ralph Steudtner

Reged: 07/13/12

Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Perigny270]
      #5969306 - 07/13/13 05:03 PM

Last night a friend of mine and I tried to split Antares with a 16 inch Starmaster. Using a 9mm eyepiece Antares was just too bright to detect the secondary. We then used an Astronomik UHC. Antares became bright red and what appeared to be the secondary showed up as a bright blue color at about the 6 or 7 o'clock position. As has been mentioned I don't know if this was a split or reflection but it certainly was impressive. Looking at other single stars with the Astronomik UHC made them look reddish but did not display the bright blue effect. For this reason I am not certain what I was seeing.

Edited by Ralph Steudtner (07/13/13 05:08 PM)

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Ralph Steudtner]
      #5970728 - 07/14/13 04:50 PM

Bagged it last night in very good seeing with my 6" Mak Newt. The companion was pale blue to my eyes.

It's never easy in S. Ontario with Antares barely making 15 degrees above the horizon. But seeing is MUCH more important than aperture for this pair. As a rule of thumb, if you can't see steady diffraction rings around the primary you won't glimpse the secondary.

Dave

Jim_Smith

Reged: 11/16/12

Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Cotts]
      #5971035 - 07/14/13 07:17 PM

Stubborn for me..120mm. Achr.f/8.3 ..40*n caught glimpses of it between 100-200x lower powers seemed best!? Frustratingly tough for me! Going to try my 150mm. S-c Jim

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Jim_Smith]
      #5971411 - 07/14/13 11:13 PM

Rather low on the horizon here, 20-25 degrees. I tried with the TSA 102 last night and Traveler tonight but no luck. At 200-300x I can see an oblong blob of light - a localized thickening of a diffraction ring maybe - at the right PA, riding in front of Antares, but cannot really "see" the companion. Too much sparkle down there and just above the tree line.

Jim_Smith

Re: First time Antares split new [Re: ggalilei]
      #5973722 - 07/16/13 09:05 AM

got a snug blue dot on difraction ring at 200x(friend see's green) definate in and out split at 400x riding along couple diffraction rings (total 3-4 rings) using baader contrast booster filter..4.7 f/8.3 achromat..Jim

Jim_Smith

Re: First time Antares split [Re: Jim_Smith]
      #5975282 - 07/16/13 11:59 PM

Drilled it with celestron c-6 se..at 500x blue bal inbetween 1st @ 2nd diffraction ring (total of four at this outrageous power) but it was sure!! Even though hazy skies. Jim:)

Perigny270

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Nucleophile]
      #5983782 - 07/21/13 10:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Myself and other observers have tried UHC filters and have found out that some of them show a secondary reflection of a bright star which will make you think you split a double. I'd suggest you try the filter on a bright known single star and see what happens. I personally don't trust UHC filters for splitting doubles. Hopefully you've been able to split Antares.

Rich (RLTYS)

Several years ago, I saw the exact same thing Rich describes with my 8 inch reflector using a Baader UHC filter--I cant remember which star exactly but do remember it was one that had a very bright primary (such as Antares).

This double is tricky for me even with the 15 inch. Early in the night I can easily see the secondary at 200x or so, but then later in the night I cannot (when conditions should be better). Oddly enough, if the seeing is very good, I can see the companion quite clearly at 150x with the 8 inch. It seems sky conditions are the most important factor for Antares. I seem to recall most of my positive sightings happening at the end of twilight versus in the deep dark of late night--maybe that is the trick?

I did make a very preliminary finding recently using an off axis mask with my 15 to afford an unobstructed 6 inch telescope in which the secondary appeared a bit better to see due to overall dimming of the primary.

Try as I may, I have not been able to obtain a good image of the secondary in any scope with any combination of lenses or camera conditions. Antares is ridiculously difficult to photograph.

You should keep trying this one, though, as you will may see the companion when you least suspect it.

I replied earlier this evening but it seems to have disappeared. Most likely a missed key. If 2 replies appear, my apologies.
back to matter at hand: we finally got clear skies here while I'm home. Guess what - I resolved Arcturus (red and green) with my UHC filter and ED102. So Rich and Mark, you are right and thanks for the heads-up. And sorry Ralph (a later poster), you should take another look...
So I'll keep trying - Antares is tough at 48* latitude, but one day it will clear up enough.

Edited by Perigny270 (07/21/13 10:56 PM)

lionel
sage

Reged: 08/12/07

Loc: Delaware
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: Cotts]
      #5994036 - 07/28/13 01:54 AM

Yup...good seeing is the key to getting a split at its low altitude, sort of a summer challenge equivalent of Sirius and the Pup.

I caught the greenish companion in a clean black space split on a night of rare good seeing (P7-P8) three weeks ago, using my 5" refractor at 257x. At 180x I still had a black line split. No filters needed.

Definitely the view of the night!

Lionel

Perigny270

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: lionel]
      #5994320 - 07/28/13 09:03 AM

Congratulations Lionel for the clean split. This is encouraging - I'll keep trying and one still, clear night I'll see it too. Thanks for the report.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: First time Antares split new [Re: lionel]
      #5994417 - 07/28/13 09:56 AM

I had a nice split a few years ago with my TEC 140. I used a 6mm ZAO-II (163x) and had a good 7P sky.

I pegged the B star with a greenish tint, but it is so close to the red giant, I couldn't be sure.

I'll have to try it again.

Ron

rayden68

Reged: 03/16/12

Re: First time Antares split new [Re: RAKing]
      #6110023 - 09/30/13 08:58 PM

I got my first split of Antares on 3 July a very nice night cooler than normal. Using my new ES ar152 refractor at 197x. Using a 5mm af70 eyepiece from astro tech. My wife was out and thought it was beautiful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2526

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics