Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
precaud
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only [Re: hm insulators]
      #5976018 - 07/17/13 01:36 PM

It's basically pork stewed in a red chili sauce.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only new [Re: precaud]
      #5983714 - 07/21/13 09:48 PM

I'm not a NM resident, but I go there occasionally from my home in Lubbock mostly for hiking opportunities. My feeling is that if you were to move to NM to take full advantage of observing opportunities, you'd want to consider the southern part of the state (Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Ruidoso, Alamogordo, Artesia, etc.). Light pollution in Albuquerque and Santa Fe has to be bad enough that you'd need to drive an hour to find truly dark skies. Housing prices are outrageous there. If you can find a job in the less populated part of the state where housing is cheaper, you've got it made. As for that summer monsoon season, how many places are there in the continental U.S. that have great skies in July and August?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #5983906 - 07/22/13 12:22 AM

"...how many places are there in the continental U.S. that have great skies in July and August?"

Sadly, much of (very expensive) California. :big sigh: Problem is, it's a lousy place to retire no matter how much dough you've squirreled away. Housing is over the top (makes Santa Fe look reasonable ), fuel and groceries are almost 30% more than what my relatives in the lower midwest pay, traffic is getting worse and worse, taxes are high (income, sales and hidden use taxes included). Pretty much *not* what you want when on a fixed income and not planning on resuming work to replenish the nest egg.

I'm thinking Gallup, Farmington, or across the border to Cortez, might be nice, but the wife likes civilization a lot more than I do. I'm trying to get her to visit Austin, TX, with me. I go there on business a couple of times a year and really enjoy it. I'd rather be in NM, but I think along the Austin/San Antonio corridor we might be able to find a happy medium. I'm a country mouse and she's a city mouse, as it were. I tried Tucson (she didn't like Scottsdale - how can you NOT like Scottsdale?), but no dice. She didn't like Tucson either - too much of a "cow town" (her words).

I've only been to rural McKinley and San Juan counties, Albuqueque, Santa Fe, Taos, Carslbad and Roswell in NM. Where else might someone who likes proximity to all the modern conveniences (commerce, entertainment, the arts, an international or at least big regional airport, etc.) find a home in NM? If I could find a place she would enjoy in the state. I could always get a shack and observatory in the boons in dark sky NM.

Ideas appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

absurdum

Reged: 04/29/07

Loc: New Jersey
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5983934 - 07/22/13 12:58 AM

>Ideas appreciated.

What about Eldorado at Santa Fe? The house prices seem to be much more affordable and in a yellow area. It is on my list of places to visit as I get closer to retirement.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only new [Re: absurdum]
      #5983944 - 07/22/13 01:15 AM

I've spent some time in NM, mostly in the SW corner. Yes, the state has great skies, an impressive amount of outdoor recreation, and yummy food. But some of the cautionary notes above deserve close attention. Moving to relatively remote locations can be economically, socially, culturally, and intellectually isolating. We have a similar problem here. People want to move to Wyoming for the fishing, skiing, hunting, kayaking....a long list...etc. But Jackson is like Santa Fe--definitely not representative of the state. Try more obscure locations--say Lander--and the wives (husbands) get bored, the kids are bored, and it often ends up being very stressful and/or ending relationships. EYES WIDE OPEN.

Dark skies.

Jack

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5984185 - 07/22/13 09:31 AM

Jim, if someone thinks Tucson is a cow town, I'm not sure any place in NM will help. I'd say Albuquerque and Las Cruces offer the best chance for reasonable money. Personally, I lean toward your view of the world and think Socorro would be a good fit. All three of those cities have really nice schools and intellectual life can be found. But none are what one would describe as sophisticated urban centers.

EDIT: I posted that hastily. I've never lived in NM but have family there and have spent a lot of time in the state. For my money, it's awesome and if the two of us could have landed jobs there, we'd be there. The things that make NM good for country lovers and astronomy lovers makes it bad for careers for large numbers of people.

If you are someone that wants the amenities a large urban center provide, NM probably isn't your scene. I think most of us like both - so you have to decide if you'd rather live quiet and vacation loud or live loud and vacation quiet.

Edited by bunyon (07/22/13 09:57 AM)

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: New mexico observers( residents) only new [Re: absurdum]
      #5985254 - 07/22/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

>Ideas appreciated.

What about Eldorado at Santa Fe? The house prices seem to be much more affordable and in a yellow area. It is on my list of places to visit as I get closer to retirement.

I would not say they are much more affordable. Really for what you get, they are only slightly less than in town. The building quality is really variable. My aunt bought as home there and it was pretty wonky. Darker, but lots of bright neighborhood lights.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1493

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics