Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Eyeglass design and observing new
      #5973101 - 07/15/13 08:55 PM

There have been at least a dozen discussion about eyeglasses and observing and I have commented based on a lifetime of wearing my particular glasses which are commonly called "cataract lenses" by the opticians ,OR "Coke bottles" by the less than well-mannered people I've met..

Last month I had an eye exam which resulted in a slight prescription change but the big change was the advice and help by the optician filling the new prescription.After always getting large lenses because I had been told that was necessary to provide good FOV ,THIS gentleman told me "that is just so wrong on so many counts..."

So my new glasses ,made of high-index plastic are physically much smaller in area,no more than HALF the thickness,and half the weight of my previous ones..

The new glasses are so much thinner that I can now see very nearly the entire FOV of a .965 25mm H25mm WHILE WEARING THE GLASSES,wheras with all previous glasses there was at least a 50% reduction in FOV.My guesstimation is a reclaiming of 7 or 8mm of eye relief which makes a HUGE difference using telescopes,binoculars,and microscopes.

So anyone who has a strong prescription should seriously investigate getting the smallest lens possible and have it made of high index plastic.

A side note:these also have a special AR coating that dramatically reduced glare during night driving,and even seems better in the daylight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: BigC]
      #5973269 - 07/15/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

...a reclaiming of 7 or 8mm of eye relief which makes a HUGE difference using telescopes,binoculars,and microscopes.

That's wonderful news to hear! On SOO many counts, too!

The smaller lenses prob'ly allow your lenses to ride closer to your eyes, inset within your facial frame- this can enable full use & enjoyment of EPs not having the "requisite 20mm" of ER; my eyeglasses let me get by with the 15mm ER of the Ethos line, so i am a happy camper!

If the weight & A/R coatings were something "new" to your experiencing, then whoever had been handling your previous eyeglass design & selection needs to be rewarded... with a brick! These things have been around for some time- glad to hear you're now finally enjoying them.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5973338 - 07/15/13 11:38 PM

Congratulations on getting eyeglasses that will serve you much better! Your post may certainly help others that were in your position; so thanks for sharing this with us!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5973733 - 07/16/13 09:15 AM

Perfect timing! I have an eye exam tomorrow. I just read an article on the different types of glasses and need to find it and come back to you with a few questions if you don't mind?

Bob

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: REC]
      #5973881 - 07/16/13 10:55 AM

Hmmm ... I tried lightweight plastic lenses and found them useless - the issue here is that they are very prone to being optically imperfect (not the same strength across the whole field) & this gives me a nasty headache.

Glass lenses may be heavier but at least they are usually better optically.

Having the lens close to the eye results in far more issues with fogging from the moisture in the eye, and issues with the frame / lens edge obscuring peripheral vision which can make driving dangerous.

The real problem here is that it's becoming hard to find frames which allow a decent sized lens to be fitted. Fashion beats functionality, again :grrr:

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5973904 - 07/16/13 11:09 AM

Weird. My high index lenses are very thin, even with a high prescription (-1.5, -2.0) and they get me to 20/15 vision. I use eyepieces with 15mm eye relief with no problem. And they are very sharp from edge to edge with no distortion. Get a thin frame and you'll have no problem with peripheral vision either.

I love em! I've been getting them for the last 5 years and they are well worth it!

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5974338 - 07/16/13 02:48 PM

Agreed!

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: Mike B]
      #5974783 - 07/16/13 06:35 PM

Hope the following is not TOO much information.Feel free to wander off to another forum.

"If the weight & A/R coatings were something "new" to your experiencing, then whoever had been handling your previous eyeglass design & selection needs to be rewarded... with a brick! These things have been around for some time- glad to hear you're now finally enjoying them."

I have had eyeglasses from half a dozen different sources over the past 50 years and been told by several of the large ones that they couldn't make my prescription at all ,and more often,not in the high-index materials.A well-known retailer (begins with S) refused to honor their own 50% off any prescription coupon a decade ago. As for REAL GLASS,that is what I wore in the 60s and 70s. !VERY Heavy and very noticeable.From the late 70s they have been plastic of some type.For information a cataract style lens like mine is typically in the +7 to + 8 range which is several times stronger and hence much thicker with strong curvature as compared to the more common near-or-farsighted single vision lens.Plus an added reading portion of additional in the +3 range.Can't get these off the dimestore rack! My grandfather was a manager of an optical firm and other relatives also worked there so I should have had the best advice available at the time.?!.Not that anyone cared to explain or offer much choice until post high school when I began paying for them myself.My prescription is also not available in auto-darkening material.

There is actually one more step in even higher index plastic no-line but the cost was going to nearly quadruple if I remember the quote correctly.so a fiscal compromise was in order.A man's got to know his wallet's limitations.(hat tip to C. Eastwood).

Recent attempts to order my prescription online met with frustration as the automated order systems range of optical options excluded my numbers.

For what its worth,America's Best is the source of my new ones.The staff were very helpful and professional at their Cincinnati location.The exam was at leaset as thorough,if not more,than any of my experience.And my cost for the total services was about one-half that of other national companies or through local dispensing opticians,optometrists, or opthamalogists.

I have had coating and tints applied to previous glasses but THESE eyeglasses have dramatically less headlight and streetlight glare and flaring than any previous ones.

So more advice is: ask lots of questions ,and shop around.

On a slightly diffeerent topic,since my eyes no longer contain the natural lens,I can achieve a sharp focus with no eyepice in a telescope ,albeit at some unknowmn and fixed power and quite some distance from the usual focal point. This seems to mimic using a SLR and scope .It occurs to me also that the inage is inverted one less time whilst passing through the telescope,eyepiece, and eye sans glasses as is my usual viewing protocol.Yet the brain apparently compensates for these anomalies in the process of visualization.

For instance,progressive lenses when first worn made the walls curve inward but within two weeks those walls were standing straight again.

Despite my right eye being a couple lines weaker I see more detail when using both eyes .Which is no doubt why binocular and binoviewers give a more satisfying image.

The human brain is a powerful processing engine.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5974796 - 07/16/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

So my new glasses ,made of high-index plastic are physically much smaller in area,no more than HALF the thickness,and half the weight of my previous ones.

It is too bad that you got bad advice for so long. At least now, you have received some good advice and much better glasses.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5974971 - 07/16/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

The human brain is a powerful processing engine.

Yeah, no kidding! And the more we learn of the brain, the truer that rings!

Chucke

Reged: 03/12/10

Re: Eyeglass design and observing [Re: Mike B]
      #5976202 - 07/17/13 03:26 PM

I once tried lightweight plastic lenses and quickly sent them back. They had horrible chromatic aberration even just a little off-axis.

I am glad they are working for you. Maybe the plastics have been improved over the years.

Chuck

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: Chucke]
      #5976709 - 07/17/13 07:55 PM

that's great to hear. The plastic lense are a lot better then they were back in the days. I have 2 pair one with glass and other with plastic. Not sure if it is because of my frames or not but they are pretty great. I don't see any chromatic with mine. I'm using square shaped sunglass frames, my old ones 10 years ago were more round and the chromatic was bad so I switched to glass. But my new ones are good to go. I don't have to use them at the EP, but I have tried them and there great with my Hyperion EPs.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: Chucke]
      #5977680 - 07/18/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

I once tried lightweight plastic lenses and quickly sent them back. They had horrible chromatic aberration even just a little off-axis.

I am glad they are working for you. Maybe the plastics have been improved over the years.

Chuck

I never noticed CA in the past 20 years of plastic lenses.

Do not know if it the lenses or the coating but for the FIRST time that I can remember oncomong headlights do not blind me so that my head instinctively turns,nor are people and signs lost in the glare of the still-poorly-designed-and-installed street lights.

I suspect this is the closest yet experienced to what people with normal vision see.

The only aggravating factor is the reading distance is a bit different from the previous spectacles.Not a book problem ,more of a computer using problem.Will adjust in time.

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
      #5977702 - 07/18/13 11:17 AM

I have high index plastic lenses and have been using them for many years with no issues.

For the last few years, though, age has caught up with my eyes and I've needed progressives for up-close viewing but this has implications at the eyepiece. I need to be sure I'm looking through the right part of the lens to achieve a clear focus, but sometimes this is problematic. I have astigmatism, so viewing without eyeglasses is also a problem. Using a Dioptrix seems too fiddly (I find it to be a pain to put the specs on and take them off continually while observing) and expensive to boot (got a lot of eyepieces).

I remember a discussion of eyeglasses created specifically for observing. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this?

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5977721 - 07/18/13 11:28 AM

I Just saw my eye doctor yesterday for my annual checkup. I did get new progressive glasses last year and he said my script had not changed that much to warrant new lenses. He also said I had a case of mild astigmatism which I did not think I had as the star points I see in my scope seem to be ok without any "spikes" that I read people have with Astigmatism? I found out that my lenses where just plain plastic and asked about these other types you mention in this post like high-index or Crystal Cut HD lenses ect. He said because I only need a small correction for my nearsightedness and my regular lenses are not that thick, it would not matter much for me. He also said I had the start of cataracts but where years of in growing to need surgery....whew.

So, I told him about my astronomy and how taking my glasses on and off was a pain. I do not wear them in the EP as I can focus fine, but having to put them on to see the whole sky or using a Red Dot finder is difficult. So what about using contacts when I'm out observing? I could then see the whole sky and then back to the EP. I told him I wasn't going to consider them to replace my everyday glasses and did not want to compromise infinity and the stars with some sort of progressive lenses to read with and distance. He said he could fit me with a type that gets me very sharp views of distance, correct the astigmatism and also be able to read a menu, but for reading say a newspaper, I would have to use "reading glasses", so I said let's try it out!

So I got fitted and drove home with them and had no problem seeing in the cars or the speedometer ect. Distance was perfect from what I could see. I get home and in front of the computer and I could not read my email. Oh well, have to get a pair of cheap reading glasses for that. In the meantime I do not have to use glasses in my office and in front of the computer. I'm very interested how the contacts do at night at the stars and looking through the EP!

All I need is a clear night for a change as the weather has been horrible for the last 4 weeks now and now the extreme heat and humidity has it's grip on the East.

Bob

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5977901 - 07/18/13 01:06 PM

Did everyone remember to get their lens edges blackened?

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: star drop]
      #5978110 - 07/18/13 03:12 PM

Rec,

You will enjoy your first night in contact lenses. Just make sure that your eye and lenses are well hydrated so the contact lens is always oriented properly to correct for your astigmatism.

The other trick is to get a trial set of lenses with a plus one correction for viewing of showers and naked-eye viewing at a dark site. It really does make a difference!!

When I do not wear my contacts I always go through a moments panic at low power thinking something is wrong with the telescope instead of my eye!

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: vsteblina]
      #5978281 - 07/18/13 04:40 PM

This might be a good place to throw in an idea I had recently. Why not have a kind of EP cap with a glass top ground to your prescription. That lens would go on top of the EP. Just remove it from the EP in use to put on the next EP. No more glasses and it would be right up close to the EP.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Eyeglass design and observing new [Re: Mxplx2]
      #5978839 - 07/18/13 10:25 PM

Quote:

This might be a good place to throw in an idea I had recently. Why not have a kind of EP cap with a glass top ground to your prescription. That lens would go on top of the EP. Just remove it from the EP in use to put on the next EP. No more glasses and it would be right up close to the EP.

That sounds like the Televue Dioptrx.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

#5979109 - 07/19/13 02:33 AM

Bob,

Another hazy night here ,only the brightest stars and Moon seen.

I(we all) are very interested to hear how those contacts work for your stargazing.Is reading the goto controller ,setting circles,star charts, or other observing aids possible without putting on the reading glasses?

In my own case,the new thinner eyeglass lenses mean that binoculars that previously would barely focus while not wearing my old glasses and which had a severely restricted FOV while wearing them are now easily used with the new glasses.Or should we call them "plasticses"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 782

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics