Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Oddity in m8 lagoon nebula new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5976052 - 07/17/13 01:55 PM

Based on that, one of the better possibilities is direct light from an angle off axis which shines directly through the corrector and into the primary baffle, resulting in scatter. But to get this highly structured kind of flaring implies at least a semi-specular reflection, if not highly specular. This is more likely from some shiny (even black anodized) surface near the back end, not too far ahead of the camera.

It would be instructive to remove accessories and peer up into the rear opening from off axis. Can any direct view of the scene beyond be seen through a crescent-shaped gap formed by the primary baffle's innermost opening and the secondary baffle's visible edge? Even though such direct light may fall outside the field if view, this light can scatter off various and sundry inside surfaces not too far ahead of the focus.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Oddity in m8 lagoon nebula new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5977001 - 07/17/13 11:15 PM

I'll take a look, I'm pulling her out tonight to see what I can see out there tonight.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Oddity in m8 lagoon nebula [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5977350 - 07/18/13 07:20 AM

The test I suggested is best done in the daytime, or better yet, from the comfort of indoors. You are merely looking to see if a gap is seen between the baffle openings, allowing a direct sight line out through a portion of the corrector plate immediately surrounding the secondary. Conversely, looking through the front end would allow you to sight through the corrector, just outside the secondary, and look right through the primary baffle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1059

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics