Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1
ZielkeNightsky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
Tenham, Eros, Flora, The Ordovician meteor event
      #5978283 - 07/18/13 04:40 PM

Hi all

Was reading about my Tenham sample, a L6. The Ringwoodite mineral, first discovered in Tenham, was formed under very high pressure and it is expected that there's a lot of Ringwoodite deep below the Earth surface, 600 km. down.

So if the L types parent bodies could be Eros or the Flora family, where did that high pressure come from?. Eros is not big enough at all if it's formed at 600 km. depth.

I then got caught up in reading about the Middle Ordovician meteor event once again and the possible connection to L chondrites.

This discovery came up
Crater found in Iowa points to asteroid break-up 470 million years ago

Got tracked back to Sweden and meteorite fossils, not that far from where I live

Start wondering about the fossil meteorites in limestone. Is it possible to acquire such material without starting an expedition?

Well, amazing how many hours that disappears when looking at a small meteorite specimen.

A small write about my tiny Tenham can be found here (Pics and in Danish)
Tenham Danish write up with pics

Edited by ZielkeNightsky (07/18/13 04:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sealevel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Florida
Re: Tenham, Eros, Flora, The Ordovician meteor event new [Re: ZielkeNightsky]
      #6017264 - 08/10/13 09:53 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

Hi all

Was reading about my Tenham sample, a L6. The Ringwoodite mineral, first discovered in Tenham, was formed under very high pressure and it is expected that there's a lot of Ringwoodite deep below the Earth surface, 600 km. down.

So if the L types parent bodies could be Eros or the Flora family, where did that high pressure come from?. Eros is not big enough at all if it's formed at 600 km. depth.

I then got caught up in reading about the Middle Ordovician meteor event once again and the possible connection to L chondrites.

This discovery came up
Crater found in Iowa points to asteroid break-up 470 million years ago

Got tracked back to Sweden and meteorite fossils, not that far from where I live

Start wondering about the fossil meteorites in limestone. Is it possible to acquire such material without starting an expedition?

Well, amazing how many hours that disappears when looking at a small meteorite specimen.

A small write about my tiny Tenham can be found here (Pics and in Danish)
Tenham Danish write up with pics

Nice article (after translation), Lars. I spent a lot of time looking at this specimen with my stereoscope. There is a lot to see. A very interesting piece.

Davio R.

Edited by sealevel (08/10/13 10:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 672

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics