Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: First Light - Apertura AD10 new [Re: kind]
      #5980129 - 07/19/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Is this what to expect from you saw?

Wow, thats a pretty horrid depiction of what you will see in the eyepiece. Looks sort of like an Anti-Hubble view. Hopefully no one would base a scope decision on something like that!
With a 10" in average conditions or better you will see a clearly defined disk of Saturn surrounded by clearly defined rings with space between the disk. As the seeing improves you will see a clearly defined space in the rings themselves(Cassini division). On the disk itself you will see various darker shaded banding depending more on the seeing conditions. Often, as well as Titan you will see 4 or so other moons close to the disk. You may also be able to see the shadow of Saturn's disk on the rings at certain times
Most of the time conditions won't allow (nor do you need) more than 150-200 magnification. In fact most of what I mentioned above are visible at 100x.

Eric

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Billytk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
Re: First Light - Apertura AD10 new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5980150 - 07/19/13 04:47 PM

I see (with my 12") better than the second (barlowed) picture with my ES 8.8mm 82* eyepiece with no barlow.

kind

Reged: 07/07/13

Re: First Light - Apertura AD10 new [Re: Billytk]
      #5980331 - 07/19/13 06:30 PM

awesome thanks guys

sealcove

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Mount Desert Island, Maine
Re: First Light - Apertura AD10 new [Re: kind]
      #5980584 - 07/19/13 10:16 PM

Yes I can confirm a much better view with the AD10 than what Stellarium is depicting. I just did a test and the size of the planet in relation to the field of view looked right, but the quality of the image is nothing like the graphic interpretation. That said, I think the ocular view is really intended to give you an idea of size and how fast an object is going to travel across the FOV.

I have viewed Saturn on three different occasions now, and perhaps I have better than average seeing along the Maine coast in summer, but the planet was extremely crisp. You could easily see the gap between the rings and planet, and I could also make out the Cassini division on two of the three nights. That was with my ES 82* 8.8mm.

I also want to report that the Vestil 600 chair arrived, and this evening I had a quick lunar viewing to test it. Actually, I hardly tested it myself, but it was wonderful for my five year old daughter to perch on for her first view through a telescope of the moons craters. She was nothing short of mesmerized. The chair seems rock solid and very easy to adjust with one hand in the dark.

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

Re: First Light - Apertura AD10 [Re: sealcove]
      #5980889 - 07/20/13 04:33 AM

The scenario of you watching your daughter perched by the telescope and enjoying her reaction of wonderment evoked a most endearing picture in my mind’s eye - Priceless moments and memories to last a lifetime. You have to be bursting with pride.

Thanks for sharing
------
C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1048

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics