Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Skylight: A brief history and the all-new website new
      #5979831 - 07/19/13 01:40 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Skylight Telescopes: A (very) brief history...

In 2005, I left full employment to pursue other options and created Skylight Telescopes; initially envisioned as a place for Vintage gear (particularly long focus refractors) which I felt were overlooked.

In 2007 the new Skylight Telescopes website was created. At the time, it's gallery & picture displays made this a striking and different looking website. It's vintage & antique galleries were a unique feature.

In 2009, after approximately 18 months of thinking/designing/working, I presented my first Skylight refractor design: The Skylight 4"/F15. I felt this design was a welcome return of Victorian inspired elegance (NOT steampunk please) and a noticeable difference to the masses of short, white, mass-produced refractors. This was quickly followed by the Skylight F13 (using the excellent Carton 100mm/F13 objective lens), the 60mm Skylight Mini, and the Skylight 6 Observatory class refractor.

Other than the Skylight 6 (still available as a bespoke custom order only), all these Skylight refractors are no longer available.

In their place now resides one of the most ambitious & prestigious Skylight designs to date: The Skylight AR101/15 with its' exclusive TeleVue objective lens.

The high specification nature of the Skylight AR101/15 placed demands on the old web design that were too much for the old format. The attention that the AR101/15 design has been receiving further demanded something equally high spec. With this in mind, the Skylight Telescopes website has been completely redesigned from the ground up.

The vintage/used/antique galleries are gone, replaced with a product showcase dedicated solely to the Skylight AR101/15 & other Skylight designs. Please visit it here: Skylight Telescopes/London

Please check it out, bookmark it and share it as widely as possible to friends, colleagues, & fellow Astronomers?

Thanks for reading & all the best from sunny London!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Skylight: A brief history and the all-new website new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5983255 - 07/21/13 04:16 PM

...and the most beautiful scope made today IMO!

ianatcn
sage

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: Skylight: A brief history and the all-new website [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5984342 - 07/22/13 11:39 AM

Hi Richard,

I enjoyed the new website. I am looking forward to seeing more special projects added in the future. I take it you are open to quote for mounting up any lens in cell within reason?

My new AR101/15 has made me hungry for more!

Best wishes,

Ian

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
Re: Skylight: A brief history and the all-new website new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5987659 - 07/24/13 10:44 AM

Now that is a work of (he)art. Absolutely stunning.

ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Re: Skylight: A brief history and the all-new website new [Re: BillP]
      #5990776 - 07/26/13 06:22 AM

Quote:

...and the most beautiful scope made today IMO!

Thanks Bill...

Quote:

I enjoyed the new website. I am looking forward to seeing more special projects added in the future.

My new AR101/15 has made me hungry for more!

Best wishes, Ian

Thanks Ian,

I'm really pleased you like the scope. I have been surprised with just how good the satin white colour looks.

Although I have no plans at this time for a project to follow the AR101/15, there are a couple of custom one-off designs in progress. These can be very time consuming, so I take them into consideration on a case by case basis.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 820

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics