Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: REC]
      #6013237 - 08/08/13 09:41 AM

I believe that the likelhood is high, however don't be surprised if you have to slip the OCS tube out to when using the low power arm.

This is apparently pretty common.

If you can't reach focus with the low power arm, you can buy additiona spacers.

The OCS will intrude into the light path at low power, but this doesn't really matter at low power. The damage is impossible to see.

At medium power, you have to rack the focuser out quite a bit, and in most cases, the OCS will clear the light path, but once agian, at medium power, it doesn't matter to much the OCS is still sticking into the light path. It only presente a very small obstruction.

At high power though, your focuser will be racked all the way out, and it is doubtful that in most configurations, you will have anything still protruding into the light path, and this is when it is most important because this is where you will be doing planets, yes? Here, no protusion is good, and with the Supersystem, you won't have to worry about this because if you need extensions for reach low power focus, you will still be fully racking out for high power, and perhaps still having to slighly pull out the OCS tube.

Many peopel report not being bothered at all by slipping the OCS in and out for high power, but my personal preference would be to allow a little light path intrusion in low power and avoid ever slipping the OCS to reach high power.

That is a strongly personal preference I admit, but the goal for me was to not fuss with stuff.

Slipping the arm and refocusing is one thing, but slipping the arm, loosening the screws, slipping the OCS out, tightening the screws, and refocusing is about three times more tedious (loosne the screws, tightend the screws, then loosen the screws and tighten teh screws to put it all back).

I would rather replace the focuser than do this every time I use the high power arm.

If I can't make binoviewing as simple as monoviewing, I would be far less of a fan.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6013247 - 08/08/13 09:46 AM

Ed, what is the OCS you refer to? I don't have anything except the 2" nose piece that came with the BV.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6013515 - 08/08/13 12:04 PM

Ah, I thought you had the complete supersystem.

If you don't have a Supersystem there is no way you will reach focus with what you have unless you take one of these steps:
  • Use a barlow
  • Move your mirrors closer together (which may mean having to get a bigger secodary mirror)
  • or get a supersystem with powerswitch

Unlike SCTs, using a binoviewer in a Newt or Dob is just about impossible unless you do one of these things.

In fact, the same is true for most refractors except that you would cut the tube rather than move the mirrors closer together.

Binoviewers are complicated..

That should be in my signature line.. LOL

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6013750 - 08/08/13 01:42 PM

Not sure what you mean by "complete super system"

I bought DenkII with the Power Switch at NEAF and it came with two nose pieces. I had them remove the 1.25" nose piece to save some $$$ as I thought I was only going to use it in my SCT with a 2" diagonal.

Are you saying that the other 1.25" nose piece I had removed had some glass in it? Is this what you are referring to as a OCS?

Bob

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
      #6013814 - 08/08/13 02:09 PM

The OCS screws on to the 2" extension tube and if focus is not enough then either screw in or out the 2" tubes,I have two and use in refractors, SCT and newt.Did You get the larger OCS at NEAF?
Pete

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: germana1]
      #6013853 - 08/08/13 02:24 PM

Sounds like he has no OCS at all. Best idea Bob is to contact Russ at Denkmeier and let him know you are getting a dob. You'll need an extension tube added to the 2" nosepiece and OCS for the PowerSwitch to work in a dob. Or, another solution that doesn't require an OCS is to insert the binos into a 2" 2X barlow just as you would an eyepiece - but with the extension/OCS you can get much lower magnification, around 1.3-1.4X.

germana1
professor emeritus

Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6013884 - 08/08/13 02:40 PM

By the way does anyone know if you lengthen the tube does it increase or decrease the magnification? And is there any difference between newt ocs and refactor ocs? As I have 3 1 Newt 1 regular and the new 45 ocs
Pete

Edited by germana1 (08/08/13 02:41 PM)

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: germana1]
      #6013900 - 08/08/13 02:48 PM

Lengthening the tube increases the mag and decreases the amount of in-focus needed.

germana1
professor emeritus

#6013913 - 08/08/13 02:53 PM

Thanks Johnny.
Pete

REC
Post Laureate

#6013940 - 08/08/13 03:04 PM

"Lengthening the tube" What tube are you refereeing to? I can put a 1-2" extension tube into the diagonal and then insert the BV, but I thought I needed to go the other way, in focus length....sure gets confusing using BV's.

Now, when I want to use my other WO BV with my 80ED, I have to screw in the 1.6x barlow IN FRONT of the diagonal to acheive focus. My Dob just showed up, so if I get even a small break in the clouds tonight I may be able to try to focus on a star to see what's up with all of this?

Thanks again for all your help:)

Bob

johnnyha
Postmaster

#6014554 - 08/08/13 08:44 PM

By "lengthening the tube" I was referring to the 2" nosepiece of the binoviewer. You add an extension to the nosepiece plus the OCS, so you have like a 4-5" nosepiece with an OCS barlow element screwed onto the end. The Denkmeier website has a manual that explains it all in the newt section.

REC
Post Laureate

#6015231 - 08/09/13 07:45 AM

Johnny,

Thanks for the explanation. I have a 35mm extension tube that came with my new scope to help with focusing some other 2" EP's is what they said. Now if you are saying that I need an additional piece of glass "OCS" to add to the light path to achieve focus, then that's something I'll have to get.

Just read the instructions on the Denk site and I clearly see the OCS in place for use in a Dob scope. I guess this part that I had him remove from the kit I will now have to be purchased from him.

Thanks,

Bob

axle01

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia
      #6015250 - 08/09/13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Johnny,

Thanks for the explanation. I have a 35mm extension tube that came with my new scope to help with focusing some other 2" EP's is what they said. Now if you are saying that I need an additional piece of glass "OCS" to add to the light path to achieve focus, then that's something I'll have to get.

Just read the instructions on the Denk site and I clearly see the OCS in place for use in a Dob scope. I guess this part that I had him remove from the kit I will now have to be purchased from him.

Thanks,

Bob

This is it.

http://deepskybinoviewer.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product...

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Hmmmm, what's this???? new [Re: axle01]
      #6015260 - 08/09/13 08:02 AM

Thanks for the link. I see they want $250 for it....Hmmm, well when he removed it from the package at NEAF, he deducted $100, so maybe I can get hime to sell it back to me for the same price? I'll have to call Russ.

BTW, is my BV going to work better with my new 10" f/1250 at lower power and brighter image then my 8" SCT f/2500?

Bob

johnnyha
Postmaster

#6016008 - 08/09/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

I have a 35mm extension tube that came with my new scope to help with focusing some other 2" EP's is what they said. Now if you are saying that I need an additional piece of glass "OCS" to add to the light path to achieve focus, then that's something I'll have to get.

Bob - What you want is the "middle newtonian spacer" in this photo, and you can see the OCS screwed onto the end. You might want to put a wanted ad in to save some $$, a lot of people have these extra. My guess is Russ will give you a discount though since you just purchased your system.

The 35mm extension you have referred to is probably the traditional 2" extension with a thumbscrew on one end and a 2" sleeve on the other, this is to achieve more out-focus and not what we are talking about here. The "newtonian extension" you want is a nosepiece extension, all 2" outer diameter and fits completely into a 2" drawtube, and the length is also adjustable to help achieve best focus.

REC
Post Laureate

#6016039 - 08/09/13 03:04 PM

Thanks Johnny....so I need the middle spacer and the OCS together, right? Like I thought, that was the piece that originally came with the kit, but I did not have a Dob at the time and thought I would save some $$$ by removing it.

So yes, I will have to ask Russ if I can "have it back" for the $100 credit he took off when I bought it. So looking at this photo, the two tubes sticking out of the BV look like about 3-4" long. It seems that the end of the tube with the OCS on the end is going to stick right through the focuser and into the tube of the scope? Guess it's no big deal as this is the way it's done....oh well more money to spend on this hobby!

johnnyha
Postmaster

#6016093 - 08/09/13 03:30 PM

Yes the tube will intrude into the light cone a bit on the lower power setting but it will not effect the view. On the middle and higher powers it will not intrude as the focus is pushed outwards. You may however need to re-adjust the length of the extension to reach focus at all three powers if your drawtube length is less than 2". It can get complicated, as some would say...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2293

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics