Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
ArtVandelay

Reged: 05/19/13

Loc: Detroit MI, and Phoenix AZ
Looking for a good EP case
      #5991467 - 07/26/13 03:12 PM

I am just starting to get accessories for my Skyview Pro 8 telescope. I am looking for a good recommendation on an EP case that will hold both 2 and 1.25 inch EP's as well as other stuff like filters and misc. I cant seem to find any really good recommendations searching the forums. I plan to add some ES 82 EP's once they get them back in stock. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: ArtVandelay]
      #5991488 - 07/26/13 03:20 PM

Pelican or the Pelican Storm cases are the top of the line. Harbor Freight has some cases, but the pluck foam would need replaced...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5991509 - 07/26/13 03:27 PM

I've been mostly happy with two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HJTK5Y/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

They're pretty sturdy, the pluck foam is decent, and the price is nice.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
      #5991540 - 07/26/13 03:50 PM

I've been using a Stanley Bostitch tool box for a few months now. It was on sale at Home Depot for $14.99, and I couldn't pass it up.

For $14.99, I don't have a single complaint. It's crushproof, has a water-tight seal and has rock solid rust-proof latches. However, i'll be upgrading to a Pelican 1600 within the next few weeks/months. This case is great, I just can't deal with bolt cases much longer.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #5991590 - 07/26/13 04:23 PM

Wear shoes when viewing, you wouldn't want to drop it on your toe!!

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5991618 - 07/26/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

Wear shoes when viewing, you wouldn't want to drop it on your toe!!

Shoes are overrated.

astrophile

Reged: 06/30/13

Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand
      #5991833 - 07/26/13 07:05 PM

I've been very happy with my Orion large accessory case w/pluck foam. Holds several large eps, small ones, and a few other items. I don't like the die-cut foam interiors, the 1.25" holes are useless for anything wider than a Plossl. Save the foam you pluck as you'll invariably need to reconfigure a bit down the road.

There are cheaper pluck-foam alternatives; see http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2137

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
      #5994119 - 07/28/13 03:23 AM

Art,

Check out this thread. Link

Best,

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: Agatha]
      #5994177 - 07/28/13 05:50 AM

I use an aluminium photographers' case with cut-out foam insert, which you can cut holes in to accommodate your eyepieces. The foam can easily be replaced at any shop which sells dress-making materials.

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: FJA]
      #5994482 - 07/28/13 10:38 AM

The Husky Technician's case at Home Depot looks very nice. That's probably the one I'll get when I upgrade my eyepieces.

Lance1234
sage

Reged: 11/01/12

Loc: SoCal
      #5995207 - 07/28/13 05:43 PM

I'm a little late to the party but this is the one I am using: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CASE-046
It is very similar to a Pelican 1520 but at $40, way less expensive.

JLovell
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/12/10

Loc: Georgia
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: dpippel]
      #5995256 - 07/28/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

I've been mostly happy with two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HJTK5Y/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

They're pretty sturdy, the pluck foam is decent, and the price is nice.

I've got a Vanguard branded case very similar to this that seems very good, and was a similar price. If you want decent and cheap, look at the Plano 4 pistol case. I got one at Walmart for $12. Amazon has it for $22: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Four-Pistol-Case/dp/B000P3WPKK/ref=sr_1...

sealcove

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Mount Desert Island, Maine
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: JLovell]
      #5995514 - 07/28/13 09:20 PM

I was just looking for a basic case for my new guy stash of accessories, and realized that I had a pretty good option sitting in the closet. I have a leather aviation chart case with locks, and to go along with it some old padded cases for headsets and radios that fit my telrad, RA finder & collimation tools perfectly. That leaves a nice space for eyepieces (in bullet cases) and odds and ends. This probably will not be suitable once my collection of stuff grows, but it is a great use for this old case for the moment. It has seen plenty of rain and snow, so a little dew wont hurt it. Given that it is black, I suppose that a little reflective tape is in order.

ArtVandelay

Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: sealcove]
      #5995582 - 07/28/13 09:54 PM

The irony of a Jepp chart case made me laugh. I am an airline pilot, and if I never had to carry another chart case it would be to soon. I like the idea of the pistol case, but I hate cutting foam. I always seem to do a hack job of it.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
      #5995583 - 07/28/13 09:54 PM Attachment (1 downloads)

Hard to beat for $28 from Harbor Freight.

sealcove

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Mount Desert Island, Maine
      #5995994 - 07/29/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

The irony of a Jepp chart case made me laugh. I am an airline pilot, and if I never had to carry another chart case it would be to soon.

I can imagine that would get old. Do you guys still have to carry paper backups, or are you 100% digital now?

I only instructed and did a little commercial flying in bug smashers. The case was a freebie from corporate jet guy thinning out his gear at the FBO one day and it was still too nice to toss. Maybe not ideal for astronomy, but it will work for a while.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5996178 - 07/29/13 09:26 AM

Quote:

I am just starting to get accessories for my Skyview Pro 8 telescope. I am looking for a good recommendation on an EP case that will hold both 2 and 1.25 inch EP's as well as other stuff like filters and misc. I cant seem to find any really good recommendations searching the forums. I plan to add some ES 82 EP's once they get them back in stock. Thanks.

If the ep's are in individual bolt cases or bottles, then second hand stores have lots of inexpensive option to choose from.
Just nest things in the most suitable order. Upgrade in size or shape as needed.

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: izar187]
      #5996222 - 07/29/13 09:58 AM

Of late, I've been using a camera case that I got on sale. It has movable velcro dividers. I am able to store 6 EPs, a diagonal, a telrad, filters and other accessories in it.

It is compact and quite usable.

ArtVandelay

Re: Looking for a good EP case new [Re: sealcove]
      #5996598 - 07/29/13 01:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The irony of a Jepp chart case made me laugh. I am an airline pilot, and if I never had to carry another chart case it would be to soon.

I can imagine that would get old. Do you guys still have to carry paper backups, or are you 100% digital now?

I only instructed and did a little commercial flying in bug smashers. The case was a freebie from corporate jet guy thinning out his gear at the FBO one day and it was still too nice to toss. Maybe not ideal for astronomy, but it will work for a while.

We are 90% digital. All of our required company manuals and aircraft manuals are on Electronic Flight Bags. We carry 2 of them in the flight deck. Unfortunately all of our Jepp's are still in paper that we carry individually. So we get the fun of revisions every two weeks still. Personally I do not like the EFB's. They are old technology before multi-touch and utilize a separate keyboard for data entry. Essentially if I need to find something in the manual, it takes me about 5 times longer than flipping through a paper book would take.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 583

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics