Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Koala117
sage

Reged: 05/11/13

Re: Regarding Refractor Mounts: Your Thoughts new [Re: Koala117]
      #5995253 - 07/28/13 06:14 PM

Quote:

I like viewing standing up and not having to bend over too much.

I do all of my observing sitting down. At 6'11" barefoot, I'd have a hard time not doing so!

I don't mind, though, since sitting helps me keep myself steady, as well as my telescope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5995298 - 07/28/13 06:45 PM

Quote:

I took a photo for you and hopefully it is what you are requesting. Well, actually, I took about 11 pics because my stupid pain medicine makes my hands unsteady sometimes. This was the best one I could get. I did try really hard to make a nicer one for you but was unsuccessful. ;( Feel free to ask if you need other pictures and I'll do my best. =)

Mike:

That photo is all that is needed. I think you can remove the two bolts that hold the clamshell in place and then the ring could be bolted to one of them. Two would probably be stronger and the rings are about $33 shipped from AgenaAstro.

It would make swapping OTAs somewhat time consuming but possible. What do you think??

Jon

Koala117
sage

Re: Regarding Refractor Mounts: Your Thoughts new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5995406 - 07/28/13 08:08 PM

Hi, Jon!

That's a really great idea. =) These are the ones you're referencing, I think?::
http://agenaastro.com/gso-telescope-tube-mounting-rings-90mm-3-54.html

So, I basically would just stick those onto an ST80, and put the bolts right through the mount, like normal, and then into those rings. I think that's the way(no dovetail/bracket needed, then, for this idea?). I wouldn't be surprised if the main OTA of the ST80 would also be long enough that I could fit both rings for extra steadiness, by using the pre-existing bolt placements. Since the rings come as a pair, couldn't hurt to try!

If I'm lucky, the bolts I already have will even be the right size for the rings.

Thanks for the advice. Seriously, if that works, you just saved me an extra 100 dollars or so, while giving me a way to get a scope that compliments my Meade 312 Having never used rings, something like that is a new adventure for me! Also, if I'm not understanding something, go ahead and tell me. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so, my pride won't get bruised.

Actually, as I finished typing this reply, I remembered that the ST80(link below) rings that actually come with the OTA here could maybe fit by just removing the dovetail. and adjusting the rings postioning to fit onto the bolts in the picture above
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-ShortTube-80-A-Refractor-Telescope/p/9947.uts?...

That could maybe be another work-around that I hadn't considered. Unless, of course, it wouldn't work and my lack of experience is showing itself. Which would not surprise me!

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
      #5995429 - 07/28/13 08:30 PM

Mike,

That mount is an EQ2. Looks the same as mine from my Tasco. Jon is right, just undo the bolts. There is a cheap adapter you can get that will give you a 1/4-20 stud to allow you to mount whatever you want with that kind of block. My ST80 has that kind of block. Handles the ST80 perfectly. The upgraded tripod legs helped though.

Clear skies,

Koala117
sage

Re: Regarding Refractor Mounts: Your Thoughts new [Re: Gord]
      #5995443 - 07/28/13 08:41 PM

Ohh, okay, Gord, I see. I think it is this:
http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Adapters-Cables/Orion-14-20-Adapter-for-...

That actually makes sense. I didn't realize my mount was called an EQ-2! I guess Meade and Orion both use these mount heads, then? Sweet! Also, my tripod legs are pretty sturdy and have upgraded bolts for where the tripod legs attache to the head. It's like a little rock, I tell ya!

-
Hmm.. I just zoomed in on that pic of the ST80 OTA i linked above. I don't see where 1/4 - 20 would attache to that dovetail. That means that the whole OTA would be held on to the adapter by a single 1/4 screw going into the ring?? That seems kind of scary.

Edited by Koala117 (07/28/13 08:52 PM)

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
      #5995563 - 07/28/13 09:40 PM

Hi Mike,

I see now, that one in the link is actually an upgraded package. It uses rings and a dovetail and all that. Nice!

It might not have the 1/4-20 hole on the bottom, but it would be a simple task to add. Just drill and tap it in the bar. I've done it numerous times on them.

The one I got isn't shown any more, but is closest to the ST80-T model. And on that one it says it has the 1/4-20 hole for mounting.

And fear not, it's plenty to hold a little scope like this.

Clear skies,

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5995673 - 07/28/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

I didn't realize my mount was called an EQ-2

Mike:

In my mind, it's not actually an EQ-2, it Meade 312 mount manufactured by Towa. It is an EQ-2 class mount. Splitting hairs.. and I don't have many to split.

Jon

Koala117
sage

Re: Regarding Refractor Mounts: Your Thoughts new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5995844 - 07/29/13 12:59 AM

Quote:

Mike:

In my mind, it's not actually an EQ-2, it Meade 312 mount manufactured by Towa. It is an EQ-2 class mount. Splitting hairs.. and I don't have many to split.

Jon

Ahh, I see what you're saying. =)

Well, either way I'm quite happy with it. Very sturdy, indeed. As well as good-looking!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1382

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics