Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
Puck Ja
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: OK, USA
A great night with LodestarC
      #5993932 - 07/28/13 12:02 AM

I cannot image so many cloudy night in the summer time. Plus the wearing long sleeve/pants in the hot summer night to save myself being suck dry by mosquitos, it wasn't much of fun in these summer nights.

But yesterday was different. Just after a storm, I saw my first "dark sky" after so many months AND the temp was drop to about 80. Not to mention, I just got my new Antares x0.5 FR that solves all the bad distortion from the GSO FR.

In the mean time, I learned a little more about using the SX software. The SXM7C software may be even more powerful to use with LodestarC. I finally figured out how to use auto dark frame with right file. I was quite pleased to see the 60s M51:

m51_60s_dk

The gradient at lower left corner was from my neighbor's 5 lamps on the driveway. I did my best to block them.

The 120s exposure shows some star trails, but M51 was much fuller. Sorry, I don't have time to do 120s dark yet, so please bear with the hot pixels.

m51_120s_ng_sield

I had an Orion's SSAG package coming, and I cannot wait to use it to help the tracking. A nice SXCCD guru from UK is helping me to learn about self-guiding (using LodestarC for imaging and guide scope at the same time). Hopefully, I got some guided image later to compare.

Then I swing to M13. Apparently, 60s can really saturate the CCD. But I wonder how to get more "arm" to show up

m13_60s_dk

With the power of 0.5X FR, the M27 colors shows much better:

m27_60s_dk_str8

But M57 was kind of too small with FR. The color was nice though.

m57_str6

M56 was just nearby so I go ahead give it a try. The color of stars at core were interesting.

m56_str6

Before I head to bed, I tried on NGC6674 just because it was close to my GOTO align star. It was about Mag 12 and double the size of M57. I thought that I may give it a shot.

After 60s exposure, surely it was there:

ngc6674-60s_sh_p2_mark

I was not able to see it for framing, so I was thrilled to be able to see it after 60s. Very cool to me.

This was the first great Mid-summer night to have. More to come please...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: A great night with LodestarC new [Re: Puck Ja]
      #5994127 - 07/28/13 03:35 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

You're learning fast Puck:-) Nice set of images - well done :-)

BTW - the SX s/ware only does a single auto pass of the "Low Pass Colour Filter" but you can greatly improve and smooth the colour image [eg your M27] with multiple clicks of this filter as marked below

Puck Ja
professor emeritus

Re: A great night with LodestarC new [Re: nytecam]
      #5995318 - 07/28/13 07:02 PM

Thanks a lot for the hint, nytecam. I tried the LPF and Color Overload Smoothing (COS). The COS seems works even faster. I am not sure the difference. But here is the result. Is it better?

m27_60s_dk_bgrm_str8_cos10

I can see that the blue and orange shade at the edge around some odd-looking stars disappear.

Thanks a lot!

nytecam
Postmaster

#5996199 - 07/29/13 09:41 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Much better - both options work !

You should be able to increase brightness and colour saturation as my version of your image below via the auto SX s/ware

Moromete
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: Romania
      #5996207 - 07/29/13 09:48 AM

Congrats!

Puck Ja
professor emeritus

Re: A great night with LodestarC new [Re: nytecam]
      #5996261 - 07/29/13 10:18 AM

Quote:

You should be able to increase brightness and colour saturation as my version of your image below via the auto SX s/ware

Thanks a again for showing more improvement. I like your edition. BTW, I have never been able to read JPEG file back in SX software to change settings. It only reads my FIT file. If I try to open a JPEG, the error message would be "You didn't choose a valid MX file".

Since I only post JPEG online, I wonder how could you read them back into SX software? Thanks!

Edited by Puck Ja (07/29/13 11:22 AM)

norden
sage

Reged: 09/08/08

Loc: Norden
      #5996427 - 07/29/13 11:58 AM

Great images! well done!

nytecam
Postmaster

#5997079 - 07/29/13 06:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks a again for showing more improvement. I like your edition. BTW, I have never been able to read JPEG file back in SX software to change settings. It only reads my FIT file. If I try to open a JPEG, the error message would be "You didn't choose a valid MX file".

Since I only post JPEG online, I wonder how could you read them back into SX software? Thanks!

You can't read JPGs in SX s/ware! You can save as SX file, FITS or TIFF - I save as a TIFF, open in PaintShopPro or Photoshop to convert to JPG

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/29/08

Loc: Tenino, WA.
      #5997419 - 07/29/13 10:32 PM

Nicely done, and a great nights work with the Lodestar.

Puck Ja
professor emeritus

Re: A great night with LodestarC new [Re: jchaller]
      #5997425 - 07/29/13 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement and help. Hopefully more people (including myself) will start to appreciate the potential of Lodestar_C with some sharing of experience to work around some software "quirks".

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 449

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics