Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5947201 - 06/29/13 09:22 PM

The ohhhhh moment of the night for me was the view of the double-double through Dan's 1920 Clark 3". It was as good as any 3" in the past 100 years. Amazing!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5947315 - 06/29/13 11:18 PM

Ah but the best view of Saturn was through Steve's 8" Tinsley D-K, what a scope! That was super fun, but very sobering when I drove back down the mountain and encountered that wreck, minutes after it happened. Man did I ever count my lucky stars all the way home, I hope those people were OK. Four fire trucks and four po cars passed us as we were on the way down, they were heading up to the wreck.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5947356 - 06/29/13 11:52 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Not a good way to end a night of fun and friendship. The paramedics did tell me the occupants survived.

Lew Chilton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/05

Loc: SoCal
      #5947475 - 06/30/13 02:41 AM

Yeah Steve, that accident on the mountain was horrible. When we were finally allowed to proceed down the mountain, Carla and I stopped at the Flying-J near the freeway for breakfast. When we finally staggered into our apartment, it was about 3:30 a.m.

I really enjoyed looking at Saturn thru your 8-in. Tinsley D-K. Of the scopes I looked thru, I think it provided the best image. Another scope that really impressed me was Dan Schechter's recently acquired 1920 3-inch Alvan Clark.

I found a quick, dirty and lazy way to align my scope on Polaris in the daytime. I first tried this method last year to observe the partial annular eclipse from the desert with Clint, Debbie and my wife Carla. The sun stayed centered in the field of view of a low power eyepiece for most of the eclipse.

I have a vintage, but highly accurate Leitz Brunton compass. I'm able to align on magnetic north, then offset the polar axis to true north. Without further adjustment or tweaking, Saturn stayed in the field of view of a 3.5mm ocular for more than 20 minutes last night.

If this alignment technique works a 3rd time, I plan on getting the method patented, write a book, then sell it on late nite T.V., right between the slap-chop commercial and the one for erectile dysfunction.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Lew Chilton]
      #5947760 - 06/30/13 09:44 AM

There's one thing I'm really happy about when it comes to modern cars and safety regulations. I came across a couple of rather serious looking accidents on my way to Utah yesterday. First was a rollover in the median on the way to Vegas. Car was all crumpled up, but the occupants were all sitting talking to the cops. Second accident was in the winding part of the Virgin River Gorge. Guy bounced off all the guard rails and knocked the corners off his Jetta... But he was standing off to the side talking on his cell phone while the cops were arriving.

I do like old cars almost as much as I like old scopes, but if I'm ever in an accident, I hope its in one of the modern ones.

Sorry for the TJ.

-Tim.

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Lew Chilton]
      #5947769 - 06/30/13 09:49 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Great to see all you guys!
The seeing was great for the first few minutes and Steves Tinsley DK really blew a hole in the sky. Great Classic Mirror put up a fantastic image of Saturn and later during the night resolved the stars in M13 like a refractor.
Dans 1915 to 20 Clark is a thing of Beauty, I had the mint 1947 Tinsley up to set up next to Steves Tinsley and Dans Clark Mount and scope looked just as well kept, "Like Close to new" and 100 years old.
Debbie and I took the new R-pod and 2013 Dodge 1500 SLT V6 up the mountain. It worked like a champ. So Dan and Debbie and I had Coffee on the hill in the morning. Great Warm up for CSPAMP VI... Climbed 7500 feet in 50 minutes and got 15 miles to the gallon there and back.
Wonderful Astro Voyager!!!
(aveman

tim53
Postmaster

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #5947785 - 06/30/13 09:59 AM

If I'm bringing the Cave Model D, I'm bringing this thing, so don't anybody run into me on the way up or back, okay?

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: tim53]
      #5948004 - 06/30/13 12:52 PM

That mount must weigh as much as the VW pickup!

Nice VW pickup, BTW. They are rare as hen's teeth over here, eaten up by rust already in the 70'ies.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

tim53
Postmaster

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5948266 - 06/30/13 03:46 PM

Hi Thomas. Actually, Cave says that the whole scope weighed 450 pounds. I was able to lift the equatorial head off the tripod and set it in the bed of the truck with the help of the seller. I was standing in the truck and he was on the ground, so I think I had the bulk of the weight. Fortunately, it didn't need to go far!

I'm planning on adding one of those pickup bed hoists to the truck before I use it to haul this scope around:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-1647.html

I'm fortunate in that the sides fold down, so I could mount this toward the back of the cab and lift things from the side. I'll be careful and not try to lift things heavy enough to tip the truck over, though!

-Tim.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5948465 - 06/30/13 06:24 PM

What those Chinese can't do with a simple bottle jack!! Harbor Freight owes it's existance to the lowly bottle jack. Mike

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5949110 - 07/01/13 04:37 AM

Quote:

What those Chinese can't do with a simple bottle jack!!

I'm speculating about building an 8" refractor with a bottle jack crane attached to the side of the portable pier, to help lifting the mount and scope up on the pier. Sort of like those cranes you see attached to the side of a skyscraper under construction.

The main problem with large refractor portability isn't the size and assembly time, but limited lifting capability of the user.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5949459 - 07/01/13 11:00 AM

Thomas I wouldn't know a thing about of what you say! I've been spoiled too long. Last time for me was about 1979 before I permanently mounted my 6" F/8 Jaeger's to my main scope at the time which was my permanently mounted 8" Brandt. Mike

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5949952 - 07/01/13 03:55 PM

I wish I could say the same!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

clintwhitman
Caveman

#5992486 - 07/27/13 06:20 AM

NEXT WEEKEND !!!!!

clintwhitman
Caveman

#5992495 - 07/27/13 06:33 AM

OK here it comes, Polish that brass and grab your "eyepieces"
CSPAMP VI At Mount Pinos CA, Is starting next Thursday thru Saturday. Debbie and I will be there Friday night and Saturday night this year

CHECK IT OUT
I think Dan? Or some others will be there Thursday night.. I am hoping to have the Uniponds and it new mount completed or at least operational for the event. Went on a week long Vacation last week, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Escalante, and am behind in all aspects!! PROoF VIDEO

Edited by clintwhitman (07/27/13 06:42 AM)

tim53
Postmaster

#5992887 - 07/27/13 12:10 PM

I'll have to dial in to Opportunity and Curiosity telecons Friday morning, so I'll try to get up there by the afternoon. Will try to stay through Sunday morning this time, though.

Still haven't decided which scope to bring. The Taks would give me the most room in the van to sleep. The 12.5" Cave would require I bring my VW pickup, which means a slow crawl up the Grapevine and noplace to sleep (except under the stars in the back of the truck, I suppose).

Votes?

-Tim.

Edited by tim53 (07/27/13 12:11 PM)

jwaldo
Smart Mime

Reged: 04/26/04

Loc: Simi Valley, CA
      #5993460 - 07/27/13 06:51 PM

Next week!

I was going to go up thursday, but due to an ongoing case of health ickiness might go up friday instead. Or not, I'll see how I feel when the time comes. I finally have my Discovery in proper working order, and I suppose I'll bring whatever else I can shoehorn into the back of the Jeep too...

Lew Chilton
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: jwaldo]
      #5993840 - 07/27/13 10:57 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Carla and I will be up Fri. and Sat. evenings for sure. Made reservations at Motel-6 next to the Flying-J. "We'll keep the light on for you!"

Will be debuting my almost completed 1959 home-built 8-inch pipe-mount Newt. resto. The last time I used this pipe dream was 50 years ago in the spring of 1963, just before I enlisted. I'm really looking forward to 2nd light!

tim53
Postmaster

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. [Re: Lew Chilton]
      #5993964 - 07/28/13 12:39 AM

Cool! I'd love to see it.

Maybe I should bring my Springfield?

I'd have to put the finders and the guidescope back together and on it, though.

-Tim.

Lew Chilton
Carpal Tunnel

#5994179 - 07/28/13 05:54 AM

Tim,
If it's not too inconvenient, bring your Springfield. I'd love to see it! I don't think I've ever seen one before up close and personal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4150

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics