Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
iEQ45 GEM To Alt-Az coversion product new
      #5990975 - 07/26/13 09:57 AM

Has anyone (else) tried out the 'new' conversion bracket and SW to convert the iEQ45 from the stock GEM configuration, to an Alt-Az capable of 45 + 45 lb's of capacity?

I have it mostly all installed, not that it's a big job at all - it's not. The weather just turned ugly and my 'todo' list blew its top, leaving me no time to finish it up yet.

I love the MTII dual scope Alt-Az. I can mount my two lightweights; AT72ED and the C6 SCT at the same time; bliss!! Now with this mount I can load up the 6" Achro and the 10" Meade! WOW! I'm cringing already; they both weigh in at nearly 28 lb's each. so load as well as balance shouldn't be an issue... but my hind brain isn't going along with it until it sees it :-) I haven't seen the software yet; I hope it includes the auto-balancing routines in this mode too.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: iEQ45 GEM To Alt-Az coversion product new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5993306 - 07/27/13 04:59 PM

*bump* alone again?? :-(

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: iEQ45 GEM To Alt-Az coversion product new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5993736 - 07/27/13 10:00 PM

I guess no one has tried it!

I wasn't aware of it - but I do like my iEQ45, and would be interested to hear more of your experiences with the Alt-Az mode.

AlphaGJohn

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Wasatch Front, Utah
Re: iEQ45 GEM To Alt-Az coversion product [Re: dvb]
      #5993975 - 07/28/13 12:47 AM

I'm interested too. One of the reasons I settled on the iEQ45 was this Alt-Az conversion capability. One thing that wasn't clear to me was how you balanced the two scopes (I'm assuming it does not require that they weigh the same.)

So, sorry no one's got any experience to share with you, but I join the list of those awaiting your reports.

John

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: iEQ45 GEM To Alt-Az coversion product new [Re: AlphaGJohn]
      #5996218 - 07/29/13 09:55 AM

you can download the addendum to the iEQ45 manual that describes, on the last few pages, the conversion process. The alignment process was fairly simple too. So end up with two spirit levels, one on the base of the rig attached directly to the pier that you level first. Then there is a new spirit level that takes the place of the polar scope dust cap. Once the base level is set then there are alignment new knobs and screws to center the new level. Then you do a normal setup; confirm that date, time and GPS are correct. The last part is to use the 'one star align', then use the RA and DEC, now AZ and ALT to center the star. You're good to go at that point. It's sort of like the MiniTowerII I have, but much more capacity. I haven't had a goood day/night to finish the setup yet. Hopefully this week.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 362

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics