Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Mr. AH
journeyman

Reged: 02/20/13

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 [Re: WOBentley]
      #5993999 - 07/28/13 01:16 AM

The next issue of the Oregon Star Party News will be coming out on Tuesday. It will include Rules and Guidelines for OSP. Also, in addition to the Star Dinners Jason will be serving the following:

Breakfast
- Omelets with mushrooms, peppers, onions cheese and bacon $6.00
- Hash browns $3.00
- Pancakes $4.00
- Muffins $2.00

Lunch

- Yakisoba noodles with veggies and grilled chicken $7.00
- Grilled hamburgers with caramelized onions, lettuce tomatoes and condiments $5.00
- Rueben sandwiches $6.00
- Potato salad and macaroni salad $3.00
- Hot dogs with condiments $3.00
- Chocolate chip cookies $2.00

Other daily specials to be offered as well.

Late night food will include hamburgers and noodle dishes, etc.

Also, ice will be delivered daily at noon.

P.S. No sterno allowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bbbriggs

Reged: 04/10/09

Loc: Graham WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Mr. AH]
      #5994162 - 07/28/13 05:20 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

I will be bringing my 18" with the roller coaster wheels for the 6th time to OSP. My generous brother is cutting me some custom gears for a drive system. I hope to have everything in time for OSP but more than likely I will be doing some of the work in the field during the day at OSP.

Edited by bbbriggs (07/28/13 05:21 AM)

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: WOBentley]
      #5994677 - 07/28/13 12:38 PM

Question...can anyone here who has been to the OSP in the past tell me what cell phone reception is like there? Especially regarding AT&T? I have an iPhone 4S that is on Straight Talk (uses AT&T and Cingular towers) and an iPad 3 (AT&T 3G/4G/LTE).

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5994920 - 07/28/13 03:03 PM

It's pretty remote, even from Bend, I'd be surprised if there was cell service, but you never know...

Hopefully there aren't a bunch of smokey wild fires burning that would severely impact the OSP.

Right now it's real bad in SW Oregon.

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5995791 - 07/28/13 11:48 PM

I have an AT&T phone and last year I only got reception over at the far end of the field to the south of the shower trailer. It was consistent, I got through whenever I tried.

Brad

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: BradleyB]
      #5997437 - 07/29/13 10:45 PM

Verizon is best at the field, the rest all seem to require precise geographic positioning on the field to get reception.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: bbbriggs]
      #5997445 - 07/29/13 10:48 PM

Quote:

I will be bringing my 18" with the roller coaster wheels for the 6th time to OSP. My generous brother is cutting me some custom gears for a drive system. I hope to have everything in time for OSP but more than likely I will be doing some of the work in the field during the day at OSP.

Been there done that (trimmed my truss poles at GSSP a month ago!) I seem to always get behind just before big star parties and have to finish at the field! Looking around I am envious of those who are more prepared...but I do get better each year. I just tell myself those prepared folks were just like me a few years ago...

Mr. AH
journeyman

#5999122 - 07/30/13 09:09 PM

Hello all:

It's one week to the Oregon Star Party and we are almost set to migrate over to Indian Trail Spring. Shirts will be picked up on Thursday and the trailer will be packed on Friday.

Many will make the trip early, going up before or on the weekend, others like myself have commitments and will be coming up next week. That doesn't worry me because we have 40 acres over which to spread out.

The longer term weather report for Indian Trail Spring looks promising. High temperatures should be in the mid-80s to low-90s; lows should be in the mid-40s. Skies during the day should be partly cloudy and nights should be mostly clear. Friday, August 9th has is a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms. Note: if you plan on going up before the party, there is a chance for isolated thunderstorms on Thursday August 1st and Saturday August 3rd.

The Ochoco National Forest reports that as of today, Fire Danger is HIGH. This means that U.S. Forest Service approved generators are allowed at this time, although conditions can change at a moment's notice. We also want to stress to participants to exercise extreme caution with the use of fire (smoking, cooking, etc.).

The attached file contains the second issue of the Oregon Star Party News: we hope you enjoy reading our news. Some highlights of the newsletter include Rules and Guidelines of the star party, Ochoco Mountains Geology and Ecology, and descriptions of some of the activities which will take place during this year's event.

Finally, we want to wish everyone safe travels and clear skies.

Sincerely,

The Oregon Star Party Committee

Oregon Star Party News Issue 2

P.S. You may need to download the file to view all content.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5999298 - 07/30/13 11:37 PM

Do OSP volunteers still pay the full registration fee?

Mr. AH
journeyman

#5999474 - 07/31/13 03:05 AM

Yes they do. However they do get Caldwell Bucks for discounts for food and espresso.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #6001953 - 08/01/13 07:14 PM

With AT&T I had to get up on a tall Dob ladder to get a strong signal.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: JMW]
      #6002669 - 08/02/13 07:06 AM

With all this terrible smoke choking us in SW Oregon, I sure wish I was going up to the OSP next week. You all have fun up there and enjoy all that fresh mountain air with black skies down to the horizon for me. Cya next year.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#6006912 - 08/05/13 12:36 AM

I'm off on Tuesday to OSP...hoping for clear skies!

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: JMW]
      #6011298 - 08/07/13 11:43 AM

Whoo hoo! We're heading up to OSP early tomorrow morning!!!

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#6012847 - 08/08/13 02:24 AM

Looks like OSP had scattered clouds earlier. Hope it doesn't turn into a deal breaker as this will last through the weekend. Might make for a nice time lapse video.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#6013139 - 08/08/13 08:59 AM

Dave caled me yesterday. Some scattered clouds off and on. Hopefully it won't be much more than that.

tayseidel

Reged: 11/15/12

#6013971 - 08/08/13 03:16 PM

Right now, the smoke is really ruining the views. Don't come up to OSP, and expect the seeing to be great.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: tayseidel]
      #6014632 - 08/08/13 09:39 PM

From what I can see in the regional satellite images, there is lots of clouds blowing over the OSP site. The weather reports for Prineville and John Day both show T storms through Saturday and partial to clear on Sunday. Sux this is happening right at the time of the OSP. Forest fires and smoke are the icing on the cake. Still might be a good time for visual observers between clouds. AP gotta be a tough row to hoe.

OSP WunderMap

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

#6018514 - 08/11/13 03:07 AM

I was there Tuesday and Wednesday night...Clouds threatened to ruin viewing on Tues night but blew away by about 10pm (or a bit later) and I had some really nice viewing including some fun time spent looking through Sagittarius. I also got to spend some time with my favorite sky object M51.
Found some new Galaxies on my "list" too.
Wednesday was looking to be similar to Tuesday...big thick bank of clouds coming through as dusk approached...significant clearing...however this was short lived and though we sat out until around 11 hoping for clearing, we were totally skunked. I heard from a friend that someone had gotten up at 4:30 to take a look at Jupiter and the clouds were still too thick. I got up at 8 am however and the skies were completely clear. The weather report at the time I left was for some possible clouds and T-storms through Friday and then clearing up for Sat and Sun. I suspect someone there will chime in with a report when they get back!
I will say that this is the third time I have been to OSP (and my shortest trip) and the first time I had a night where I could not observe. We were camped right across from the Latte cart and the food vendor (a Chopped Contestant!).
So...there was no suffering! OSP does know how to throw a Star Party, they can't always control the weather...but they are not alone in that. Great speakers scheduled that we were looking forward to hearing until I got a call from work asking me to come in urgently...so we left on Thursday (a day earlier than planned )
Smoke did affect the seeing, but it was still much better than the viewing near home.

bbbriggs

Reged: 04/10/09

Loc: Graham WA
      #6020707 - 08/12/13 12:40 PM

Overall I was pleased with OSP this year. I came in on Sunday before. Despite the weather I got in 3 excellent observing nights, especially Friday night. You just never know. The guy camped next to me left in disgust on Friday and missed the two best nights. Moral, come early and stay till the end, even when cloudy take a look out every hour or so. I also had a couple of total noobs camped next to me that I immediately infected with aperture fever. It was a lot of fun showing them stuff.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3765

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics