Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
No6
journeyman

Reged: 07/04/13

Loc: The Village
Eye gunk new
      #5990471 - 07/25/13 11:20 PM

I've been wondering this for years: Assuming shorter focal length Plossls or orthos, and barring a barlow on a longer ep to increase eye relief, is there some trick for keeping eyelash goop off the eye lens?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Eye gunk new [Re: No6]
      #5990480 - 07/25/13 11:25 PM

Quote:

I've been wondering this for years: Assuming shorter focal length Plossls or orthos, and barring a barlow on a longer ep to increase eye relief, is there some trick for keeping eyelash goop off the eye lens?

Hello and welcome to Cloudy Nights.

As far as you question.. some people trim their eye lashes. Personally I avoid short focal length Orthos and Plossls because I have deep set eyes and invariably the eye lens is contaminated in short order.

Jon

JustaBoy
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/19/12

#5990486 - 07/25/13 11:26 PM

I never blink - or rather I should say that I only blink when I am backed away an inch or so.

-Chuck

No6
journeyman

Re: Eye gunk new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #5990572 - 07/26/13 12:22 AM

Jon, thanks for the welcome. I'd probably put my eye out if I trimmed my lashes, so I'm probably in the same boat you are.

Chuck, I appreciate the simple solution, but lack your discipline.

I have an XT-10 and a newly acquired pre-SE Nexstar 8. I'll probably be primarily using the N8 moving forward. For eps I have a Celestron/Vixen 5mm ortho, which is close to hopeless because of constant contamination; Meade 6.7, 8.8, and 14mm s4k UWA smoothies, of which the 6.7 is usable though I'm probably not getting the full AFOV; an Ultima 12.5, a Japanese 15mm Meade S4K super Plossl, though is eyecup version, so I'd guess 4-lens rather than 5; TV 21mm plossl, and Baader 21mm Hyperion.

The Ultima and Meade Plossls are at the limit of comfortable use. I've had 15, 20, and 25 mm TV PLossls and 12.5mm and 18mm UO volcano top orthos in the past and really liked them all. I enjoy the light weight and high image quality of these simpler eps, and, as the TVs are still in production I'm considering slowing putting together a set from 8mm through 32mm, but am afraid the 8 and 11mm 11mm may not be usable.

CosmoSat
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: India
      #5990741 - 07/26/13 04:45 AM

Try using the eyepieces with the rubber guards folded out, they help keeping the eyelashes from touching the lens. It works atleast for me.. In some eyepieces u may not be able see the full field of view tho

Clear Skies!

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5990770 - 07/26/13 06:07 AM

I used to trim my eyelashes, now I just wash my face with soap just before observing and it nearly eliminates eyelash oil on the glass.

great_bear
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Walthamstow, London, UK
      #5990800 - 07/26/13 07:14 AM

Quote:

I appreciate the simple solution, but lack your discipline.

It takes surprisingly little practice before it becomes second nature...

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5991812 - 07/26/13 06:52 PM

Another solution is to buy eyepieces with more eye relief. I recommend a minimum of 15 mm of eye relief. There are eyepieces with 17 to 20 mm of eye relief.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5991824 - 07/26/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

With my 5 mm XO, I blink, look, pull back, blink, look and so on. This will work as a possible solution. I prefer eyepieces with more eye relief to avoid this.

No6
journeyman

Re: Eye gunk [Re: GeneT]
      #5994004 - 07/28/13 01:20 AM

I'll try the disciplined approach, see how it goes. I like the idea of the small, simple EP, but know I'll probably end up with something like the Pentax 10mm XW I sold in grad school to finance food and beer. I'm not a purist, and I value comfort.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5994092 - 07/28/13 02:47 AM

Eye gunk. Ecch.
That's why I don't let my cat Boog look through my expensive EP's. His name is well deserved.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 513

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics