Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility [Re: Mirzam]
      #5994296 - 07/28/13 08:51 AM

Your math is sublime.

Ok, drop the wife, take astro gear and dog

Hell on earth follows...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #5994420 - 07/28/13 10:01 AM

My wife prefers I leave home.

And so do I, I like to view in quiet.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5994563 - 07/28/13 11:32 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

I know a guy who fits his 20-inch low profile dob into a Mini-Cooper. And still has room for his wife, dog, and camping gear.

It's all a matter of design. (And keeping the dog size within reason).

JimC

Is it one of those tiny lap-dogs?

I can get my 18" truss into the back of a Renault MPV with room to spare for eyepiece case, clothes, steps, truss poles, observing table and quite a few other things. And this is with the back seats still upright but pushed as far forward as I can make them go.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: FJA]
      #5994752 - 07/28/13 01:24 PM

Nice job. Even the ladder!

It was a pretty small dog in the case I mentioned above. Would provide a quick snack for a coyote.

JimC

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

#5994921 - 07/28/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Nice job. Even the ladder!

It was a pretty small dog in the case I mentioned above. Would provide a quick snack for a coyote.

JimC

Yeah I was quite impressed. I think that, with a bit of careful planning, I could pull the rear seats back slightly and get another passenger in there. It'd be a bit of a tight fit but doable. That said, I'd probably get pulled over by the police for having an overloaded car.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: FJA]
      #5995026 - 07/28/13 04:03 PM

here's my unfinished 12.5 in the front of my civic.

uta and rocker/mirror box.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5995797 - 07/28/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

You rightly point out that there is a trade-off regarding available space:

AS = WS + DS

or

AS - WS = DS

or vice versa depending on temperament.

But you can never have

WS + DS >> AS

JimC

There is another solution to this multi-variate problem:

Solve for ST(w) = New Moon

where ST = wife's "special time".

Lots of room for the dog, as well as incentive to drive a few miles farther out

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: BDS316]
      #5996136 - 07/29/13 08:45 AM

I can get my 15-inch into my 2004 Chevy Malibu, and still could take along a passenger. You should have no trouble getting a 15-inch into a small SUV, if it's a truss-tube that is well designed. Indeed, folks transport 16, 17.5, 18 and even 20-inch truss-tubes in small SUV's. Check out this fellow's 22-inch, he found a way to make it fit into a small car.

http://faintfuzzies.com/

Taras

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5996712 - 07/29/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

I'm posting this question on the reflector forum because I figure there are more Dob owners here than elsewhere.

Right now I have an Infinity G sedan which is fine for transporting my current XT8 across the back seat, but in the future I have my eyes set on a 12 or 15 inch truss Dob. I'm looking at small SUV's such as the Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, or possibly an upscale small SUV such as the Infinity EX or a similar sized Lexus or Acura.

What's the largest truss dob that would fit into a vehicle of this size?

A related question although possibly off topic would be, which of these SUV's is the best?

Thanks

I have a Honda Element that I use for my 18" Starmaster. It has a huge cargo area for a smallish SUV (75 cubic feet with the rear seats removed), and the rear doors pivot a full 90 degrees for an extra-large portal allowing easy loading and unloading. I have plenty of room to spare for camping gear, so I'm sure I could carry an even larger scope in it without any difficulty.

I think there have had several previous threads about this topic, so you might want to track those down too.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: Achernar]
      #5997825 - 07/30/13 04:54 AM

Quote:

I can get my 15-inch into my 2004 Chevy Malibu, and still could take along a passenger. You should have no trouble getting a 15-inch into a small SUV, if it's a truss-tube that is well designed. Indeed, folks transport 16, 17.5, 18 and even 20-inch truss-tubes in small SUV's. Check out this fellow's 22-inch, he found a way to make it fit into a small car.

http://faintfuzzies.com/

Taras

That's Alvin Huey's 22", he got that plus all his other stuff into that VW Beetle. Impressive. Alvin's a member of CN.

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!
      #5998001 - 07/30/13 09:01 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

Taking the answer in a different direction, I recently moved from NYC to Denver, with a stop at the Rocky Mountain Star Stare, and utilized a 4x8 cargo trailer attached to my CRV.
4x8
Initially I was anxious about transporting my 16" 1900 miles in such a thing, along with my my wife and little boy (To be clear, they were in the cab with me!) as I had never used one before. To my pleasant surprise, however, it worked out great! The driving was surprisingly easy, dirt roads and all, and the CRV did very well with no significant loss of power! And, the scope and equipment fared very well. The added space is great, as I was able to bring camping equipment, observing platform, tools, food, water and loads of other extras. This was all so successful that I now plan to purchase one for dark sky outings, as this is - for me - clearly the way to go now.
Cool!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5998425 - 07/30/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

Here is the back of my CRV with my 18" Classic Obsession loaded, with the upper assembly and the trusses on the back seats, along with clothing etc for me and the wife for three days...

A friend of mine had one of those. A number of times we fit my Obsession 20, plus 6-foot ladder, in it. We still had room for tents, food, etc. Packing was something of a puzzle, but it all worked. We even got it all in one night in the dark at Cherry Springs - no lights allowed, and everything was frosted up.

I did the same with a Chevy Tahoe, and even included my ES 127mm APO and Celestron CG-5 and some other stuff.

Ultimately I got a cargo trailer.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: George N]
      #5999105 - 07/30/13 08:56 PM

Hmm.
I've fitted a 16" truss into my VW GTI.
I might be able to get an 18" in there if it has a low rocker box.
When I go to star parties, I take 3 scopes and the wife and everything fits in, though the load does go above the belt line.
An acquaintance once put a 30" dob in a Ford Festiva (one of the little, earlier, ones!). With a passenger!
I've seen a 16" in a Chevy Aveo, with passenger.
I have a friend with an 18" who carries it in a Honda Fit (I swear, that car has more room on the inside than most SUVs).
Most SUVs, with middle seats removed or stowed, should accept up to a 22-24" scope. Scopes that big will need ramps.
I've seen up to a 28" in the back of a pickup.

Here are the issues:
--How much window do you mind blocking?
--How many passengers will you have?
--How much can you lift?
--How much disassembly and reassembly are you willing to do?
--Could you carry some gear in a rooftop cargo box?
--How wide and tall is the opening when the hatchback is lifted all the way?
--How many days are you packing for?
--Do you need to carry camping equipment as well as other stuff?

How you answer those questions will determine what you get. I'd carry a 20" in a RAV-4, with room to spare for wife and LOTS of other gear. It's all in how you pack.

Symui

Reged: 03/29/08

Loc: 37.9,-121.9 - Northern Califor...
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: Starman1]
      #5999373 - 07/31/13 12:47 AM

I transport my 22" UC to dark site with camping gear for 2 in a station wagon and have an unobstructed view out the back and side windows.

A 22" UC would easily fit in CRV with room for extra gear.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5999932 - 07/31/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

Taking the answer in a different direction, I recently moved from NYC to Denver, with a stop at the Rocky Mountain Star Stare, and utilized a 4x8 cargo trailer attached to my CRV.
4x8
Initially I was anxious about transporting my 16" 1900 miles in such a thing, along with my my wife and little boy (To be clear, they were in the cab with me!) as I had never used one before. To my pleasant surprise, however, it worked out great! The driving was surprisingly easy, dirt roads and all, and the CRV did very well with no significant loss of power! And, the scope and equipment fared very well. The added space is great, as I was able to bring camping equipment, observing platform, tools, food, water and loads of other extras. This was all so successful that I now plan to purchase one for dark sky outings, as this is - for me - clearly the way to go now.
Cool!

I think that would be the ultimate way to go - one could take a few days to determine the optimal layout for the entire observing kit and install the required brackets and tie-downs. Once that task was done, everything is left in the trailer. The only time items leave the trailer is for use, cleaning, or maintenance.

When the observing session "go" decision is it's just a matter of backing the car in and hooking up the trailer. No multiple trips to pack items into the car, no forgotten items (On my last observing session it was a late "go" decision and I forgot many items, including my observing chair and table!) In terms of time, the pack/unpack cycle probably totals (for me) 40 minutes to an hour.

Now, where to put the second trailer ...

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6000082 - 07/31/13 01:58 PM

Quote:

I had a trailer for my motorcycle, OMG! I sucked at backing that thing up. I made sure where ever I was going, I was going forward!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6002418 - 08/02/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

4x8
Cool!

I think that would be the ultimate way to go - one could take a few days to determine the optimal layout for the entire observing kit and install the required brackets and tie-downs. Once that task was done, everything is left in the trailer. The only time items leave the trailer is for use, cleaning, or maintenance.....

I tried that..... left my Obsession 20 in my cargo trailer all winter. Big mistake! The thing dewed up just about every morning! You can only leave a scope and other gear in a trailer if you have thermostat controlled heat and maybe a dehumidifier. Most people use a small light bulb on a timer under the primary. Of course that means running AC to the trailer, and in my case, that means thru deep snow. If you live an area where it gets in the 90's, expect that to mean 120 degrees inside the trailer..... and you need a solar powered exhaust fan.

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!
Re: Dobsonian/ SUV compatibility new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6002946 - 08/02/13 10:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had a trailer for my motorcycle, OMG! I sucked at backing that thing up. I made sure where ever I was going, I was going forward!

Oh my god yes! It makes for quite a geometric spatial mental workout! However, necessity is the mother...
During my cross country trip hauling the thing, I had my awesome 3 yo boy phoenix (and wife) with me. Needless to say many "pit stops" were needed. As such I pulled into a number of spots I had to back out of, and I found I got on a real good learning curve. By the end of the trip (6 days/1900 miles) I felt ready for an 18 wheeler - only kidding! But seriously, by trips end I was backing into parking spots quite easily - and felt kind of cool doing it. Now all I got to do is hookup my CB radio!
As for the comments about leaving equipment in the cargo trailer for extended periods - thats a second question. But for moving around ATM equipment with great ease, I am totally sold on the cargo trailer concept. Also, all kinds of ancillary equipment (tools, books, chairs etc.) can certainly be left in it for extended periods. When I got to the RMSS Having it with me was totally cool. It seemed anything I needed was in that trailer - hammer, jugs of water, duct tape, extra chairs, rope, tarps, shovel, scrap wood. For obsessive over-packers like me its the way to go. By the way, Rob Teeter, utilizes such a small cargo trailer for bringing his fine scopes to various events and observing sites on the east coast.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1377

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics