Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: eastwd]
      #5989113 - 07/25/13 08:25 AM

Quote:

rimcrazy, anything you're willing to share about your lightning protection install would be very welcome by me, either here or in a separate thread. Thanks.

Quote:

Now what needs to be seen is the lighting protection I'm having put in. That is impressive. My property is quite high on the top of a hill and we get a lot of lighting especially now during monsoon season here in Az.

I will start a new thread and post some pictures. I'm having a professional install the protection. In short, he's burying a large plate where the rod comes down and then burying a large copper cable around the structure and is going to tie my steel pier (I have a very large 10' steel pier) to the ground. My building is a 10' HomeDome on a 10.5' x 13.5' x 7' structure. The lightening rod needs to be 29' in the air to provide proper protection. My son and I are constructing the pole right now to mount the rod.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5989190 - 07/25/13 09:26 AM

Roscoe, thanks I figured there was at least one person who did that. If it was farther from the house, I'd definitely do solar and a good battery.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5990160 - 07/25/13 07:28 PM

So guys, benefits of a trencher over a vibratory plow? Soil is semi rocky and obviously my lawn is in place. I'm thinking the plow is the better choice. Anyone have an opinion?

Yes a contractor is hooking it up

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
      #5990939 - 07/26/13 09:35 AM

I am from canada so codes are different but I bought the direct bury 12g underground feeder from Home Depot in Tampa. It is direct bury but opted for conduit that I bought from Home Hardware for $50, solid piece of PVC with pull string. I went to a Habitat for Humanity resale outlet and bought a 15amp outdoor GFCI outlet and ran the electrical direct to my surge protected panel to a 15amp breaker. I also went to Harris and Roome (they sell electrical and all things cable related) and I bought 150' of direct burial Cat5e with a silicon core and I didn't use a conduit for it.

My run for electrical is approx, 105'.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: Magellan]
      #5991007 - 07/26/13 10:29 AM

Jeff,

My understanding was that you're not supposed to put direct burial cable (sheathed) in a conduit due to the potential for it to corrode quicker. That could be our NEC versus your own rules.

Anyways, electrican came out and quote me about 200 bucks to hook up a separate 20A service off my house's breaker with a disconnect (as required by code) in the shed. He didn't want to do the trenching, so I'm going to bury the cable for him (12").

I guess my only question now is whether a trencher is easier than a vibratory plow. Anyone have any advice on that?

Thanks,
Chris

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
      #5991050 - 07/26/13 10:58 AM

I'm staying with the extension chord and my wireless router. It take me about 20 seconds more than simply walking to the Pod. Too many regulations (thus $$$) to think about hardwiring. So far the router and the extension chord have not been problematic, but then I do my observing in the observatory. It might be different if I wanted to control all from the house.

Ed

Ed

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5991187 - 07/26/13 12:16 PM

Ed,

I've actually been relatively surprised at how reasonable it is to run a 120V/20A circuit out to my shed. The distance involved is 80' and the total cost right now (with me doing some of the grunt work) is going to be about 400 bucks. From a safety standpoint (we have sprinklers and little kids) along with a reliability stand point, I think the cost is marginal to the overall cost of the shed.

Of course, it all depends on circumstances.

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

#5991730 - 07/26/13 05:53 PM

I've gone the solar route using Harbor Freight panels. Saves a whole lotta trouble.

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-panel-kit-45-watt-68751.html

with their weekly coupons, can be had for around $130

piaras
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
      #5995428 - 07/28/13 08:30 PM

Quote:

Jeff,

My understanding was that you're not supposed to put direct burial cable (sheathed) in a conduit due to the potential for it to corrode quicker. That could be our NEC versus your own rules.

Anyways, electrican came out and quote me about 200 bucks to hook up a separate 20A service off my house's breaker with a disconnect (as required by code) in the shed. He didn't want to do the trenching, so I'm going to bury the cable for him (12").

I guess my only question now is whether a trencher is easier than a vibratory plow. Anyone have any advice on that?

Thanks,
Chris

I too have a similar job for a work shed not far from my Skyshedpod. Trenching is likely the way I will go. Here in Ontario I have to use one of these methods.

Current Ontario burial cable fact sheet

Sub rule 3 Depending on the conduit, if it is not rated as electrical raceway then burial cable is required. Likely that is the same across Canada as the codes are usually national with provincial addons.
Pierre

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: piaras]
      #5995623 - 07/28/13 10:08 PM

Pierre,

Direct burial wasn't as bad. I skipped the vibratory plow and trencher... turned out to be the smart move too. Our soil is so rocky around here I would've got in serious trouble and it would doubled the cost of this project.

So I've got the wire buried (along with Cat5E direct burial). The guy is coming out on Tuesday to hook it up.

piaras
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
      #5996948 - 07/29/13 04:36 PM

Rocks are bad!
Pierre

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Poll: Electrical service? new [Re: piaras]
      #5997482 - 07/29/13 11:11 PM

Pierre,

You have no idea. One of them was the size of a small child!

Chris

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Poll: Electrical service? [Re: Raginar]
      #5998816 - 07/30/13 05:20 PM

Harbor Freight panels are now way overpriced for what you get. Can get a good polycrystalline panel for the same price, one with a higher output.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1408

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics