Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5981839 - 07/20/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Remember, the whole idea on observing Pluto is the thrill of the hunt.

Rich (RLTYS)

Well, for me so far this year I haven't yet seen it after about half a dozen good attempts. It's mag is right on the edge of what I can expect from my scope. I'll be back at it after the Moon goes away.

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5998363 - 07/30/13 12:47 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

I spent some time checking charts and trying to locate Pluto. Unless I was seeing somethign that wasn't in the chart, the camera is really sensative, I could see a pinpoint of light with averted, I double checked and I am very certain this is it. it was between the two sets of recognizable star patterns. got it centered, cranked the gain to full throttle ultra mega zoomed and had a hard time getting registax to track it, but I found the golden frame I think. COmpaired my results for levels and curves to photos and was surprised the color was pretty dead on. This look right to the rest of you who have seen it?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5998449 - 07/30/13 01:27 PM

If that's it, nice job! It sure doesn't look like the Pluto I saw, though; that was the averted pinpoint you mentioned.

What kind of scope/camera did you use?

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5998483 - 07/30/13 01:43 PM

Thanks rick, I used a celestron 6se, with the orion deep space video imager II, I had to locate th pinpoint of light that was so small and tiny, I've had good luck with centering the objects I look for, then center it in teh camera, crank the gain to max sensativity and leave the electronic shutter wide open. once I get that centered, I put the barlow in, reinsert cam, center, then zoom, Orion said it's zoom is the equivilent of a 5mm eyepiece, so put that in a barlow and let the programs do thier magic after about a min and 1/2 of recording.

Other objects I can see pretty good and know for certain what I am seeing this one I am pretty sure, just took forever consulting charts and making sure I was seeing what I was seeeing.

The color is all from letting the programs do auto adjustments for RGB and auto once. It's been pretty good for results so far in other pics. I am pretty certain this is not a star becuase my other pics of stars I have evr gotten look, more illuminate with definate color. this had weird speckles in it, granted the picture is prolly a few pixles accross I have never had that occur in star photos.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5999335 - 07/31/13 12:04 AM

This is a very interesting image - and the first Ive ever seen where the image is blown up to that degree. Its really quite engaging. It'd be neat if the color from the upcoming sat view was spot on with what you've recorded. Its interesting that the stars which are effectively point sources to a Tekescope appear different than Pluto which subtended a greater angle even if it too was unresolved in this sense.

Pete

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5999394 - 07/31/13 01:22 AM

Quote:

This is a very interesting image - and the first Ive ever seen where the image is blown up to that degree. Its really quite engaging. It'd be neat if the color from the upcoming sat view was spot on with what you've recorded. Its interesting that the stars which are effectively point sources to a Tekescope appear different than Pluto which subtended a greater angle even if it too was unresolved in this sense.

Pete

Does that mean its good? I'm not sure what that means honestly.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5999458 - 07/31/13 02:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pete

Does that mean its good? I'm not sure what that means honestly.

The image of Pluto you have was probably somewhat out of focus (if it did indeed capture the planet itself and not just some field star in the area). Pluto should appear as a very faint dot of light identical to the stars of similar brightness in the field. Pluto is currently magnitude 14.1 and only about 0.1 arc seconds in angular diameter, so in most scopes (and with exposures long enough to record it), it would not really be resolvable in the way your image seems to show. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5999636 - 07/31/13 07:51 AM

A slightly out of focus Pluto would explain the slightly darker center where the silhouette of the secondary just begins to emerge. Interesting color though. It'd be something off that were accurate.

Pete

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: Looking for Pluto? [Re: azure1961p]
      #5999816 - 07/31/13 10:33 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

The Dot you see is approximatly 9 pixles accross. I just focus the best I can, record it and go through registax. it was faint enough that most fo the frames I selected as the set point wouldn't track the dot. I have really dark skies in the high desert and have more good nights than bad, its been nice and cool this year. I am confussed when people say you can't capture something. I've been told you shouldn't be able to capture certain things I honestly think they don't try or just live in a bad area. On one hand some say you can't capture something, but if you did it would look a certain way but that's how it looks. As a comparison, here is a picture of a star, you will see it is vastly different. ALl my dubs or star pictures have very bright centers, not the 180 degree opposite. I could drop the video to youtube and you could try it and see what you come up with. I just found the best results is sitting with a cup of coffee and picking the bet frames to use as the referance, make notes, and then pick the best of those. I use the worst of the best as my limit.

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: blb]
      #6006614 - 08/04/13 09:01 PM

Quote:

Is anyone planning to hunt for Pluto this summer and what maps or information are you going to use for finding the former planet?

As of last night, add me to the list of those who have seen Pluto with an 8-inch SCT. I used both of the star charts in S&T, Jun'13, p 52-53, and in Astronomy, Jul'13, p 62-63, to locate it. Afterwards I used Stellarium to confirm the background starfield that I had crudely sketched. It was just a faint dot of light, but one that gave me satisfaction. YMMV.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: JimK]
      #6008056 - 08/05/13 05:54 PM

Jim Im very glad for you!!! I chickened out of the challenge by seeing it thru someone's 18" dob lol. Kudos for your sleuthing out this elusive point if light - and in a fairly rich part of the sky.

Pete

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6008105 - 08/05/13 06:20 PM

Quote:

As of last night, add me to the list of those who have seen Pluto with an 8-inch SCT. I used both of the star charts in S&T, Jun'13, p 52-53, and in Astronomy, Jul'13, p 62-63, to locate it. Afterwards I used Stellarium to confirm the background starfield that I had crudely sketched. It was just a faint dot of light, but one that gave me satisfaction.

Good job there JimK. If it was fun finding Pluto the first time, then you will really enjoy taking that sketch out again and seeing how much it has moved in a day or two. That conformation is much more fun for me than the initial finding of this former planet.

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #6008191 - 08/05/13 07:20 PM

Quote:

... If it was fun finding Pluto the first time, then you will really enjoy taking that sketch out again and seeing how much it has moved in a day or two. That conformation is much more fun for me than the initial finding of this former planet.

I would like to, but my area has been in a pattern of daily clouds, wind, and even rain almost each evening since late June. I think I've had two observing nights -- it's a good thing the sun has bunches of sunspots.

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6016876 - 08/10/13 12:06 AM

I just spent the last 10 days trying to image Pluto. I discussed my experience in the video astronomy forum here on CN because I was using a mallincam. I used my CPC 1100 and present here,two screen captures that i have annotated to show Pluto's movement across an arc minute or two of star field.

Pluto image

As can be seen Pluto is a very dim 14.1 magnitude and there is no way an amateur telescope can resolve a disc from such a faint object.

Cheers,

Al

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6017184 - 08/10/13 08:43 AM

Quote:

As can be seen Pluto is a very dim 14.1 magnitude and there is no way an amateur telescope can resolve a disc from such a faint object.

It's not because it is dim that it can't be resolved but because it is only one tenth of an arc second in diameter(0.1").

Robert Cook
sage

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: San Diego County, California
      #6018087 - 08/10/13 06:36 PM

Quote:

Is anyone planning to hunt for Pluto this summer and what maps or information are you going to use for finding the former planet?

Two nights ago on the 8th, for the first time in about 9 years I hunted for Pluto with my 6-inch F5 Newt, which is quite a challenge from my suburban backyard as opposed to a true dark site. Using Cartes du Ciel and the Extended Hipparcos and UCAC4 catalogs as a guide, I was able to fairly quickly find and observe Pluto blinking repeatedly into my averted vision, exactly where it should have been. According to CDC, the nearest objects that I could possibly have seen with this aperture under these conditions were a 9th magnitude star and a 13th magnitude star, and I could see both of those, so the other fainter object that I observed must have been Pluto. The magnification that I used was 112X.

This planet (qualify the term as you will) isn't much to look at from Earth, of course, but the conditions in my area were so good that night that I suddenly developed an urge to give it a try. The seeing was merely acceptable, but the air was so clear and the sky was so dark (relatively speaking) that I could easily see the Milky Way even when somebody in the house flipped on the outside light. Normally I either can't see the Milky Way at all or can barely make it out with averted vision ("orange" to "red" class sky), but on the 8th I could clearly see the structure of our galaxy with direct vision ("green" class sky). By the way, last night the sky was horrible in comparison, so I didn't bother to track Pluto's movement, although I may try tonight if conditions are more favorable.

Robert Cook
sage

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: San Diego County, California
Re: Looking for Pluto? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6018159 - 08/10/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

I just spent the last 10 days trying to image Pluto. I discussed my experience in the video astronomy forum here on CN because I was using a mallincam. I used my CPC 1100 and present here,two screen captures that i have annotated to show Pluto's movement across an arc minute or two of star field.

Pluto image

Nice job! I have a couple of notes, though: 1) the star labeled TYC 6275-331-1 should be TYC 6275-337-1, and 2) the images appear to be mirror-reversed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2379

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics