Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | (show all)
ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #6001655 - 08/01/13 04:39 PM

Cool pic, Matt.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar [Re: Peter9]
      #6001849 - 08/01/13 06:22 PM

Thanks Grey and Peter.

Grey, the shot is:

50% frames stacked of 1100 in AS!2
Wavelets in registax
Post-processing in GIMP.
The framesize is max resolution (1280x900)? I think.

The same file was used to make 2 images like the Saturn w/ moons pic.

Moons were bottom layer of GIMP, selected the moons, inverted selection, darkened everything. Then re-inverted and brightened the moons. Top layer was the good image of Jupiter. Cut and pasted onto bottom layer.

I'm glad I was first Peter. I managed to set the bar low for everyone else.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #6008308 - 08/05/13 08:44 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Albireo 15 25sec stacked in DSS processed in Elements 11 nexstar 5i 6.3 focal reducer/field flatterer.
BE Well
Grey

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6008314 - 08/05/13 08:48 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

M013 25X 30sec. 5 darks Nexstar 5i 6.3 FR/FF Canon1100D DSS? Elements11
Be Well
Grey

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#6008316 - 08/05/13 08:50 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

M027 same set up
Grey

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6008336 - 08/05/13 09:00 PM

Nice!

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6030011 - 08/16/13 10:26 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Used my nexstar 8SE mount but an AT72 scope @430mm fl. Just a shot of Altair and its surroundings. This is 7 x 30 sec subs. No calibrations were done. Surprised that alt-az can do 30 seconds fairly well...John

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: John Miele]
      #6030054 - 08/16/13 10:54 PM

Nice one John...

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6030348 - 08/17/13 04:59 AM

Late to the party once again, but congratulations, Grey, on the images of Albireo, M13 and (I think you'll find), M57. It really is all coming together for you and in particular your ability to retain round background stars despite imaging from an Alt./Az mount !

Also congratulations, John ! I particularly like that image of Altair. Despite its dominating brightness, you've retained those few faint stars very close to it without losing them in the glare !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #6030353 - 08/17/13 05:04 AM

Really nice images Grey. I too think you have captured M57 in the third one.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#6030478 - 08/17/13 08:50 AM

Thanks Tel,Tony and Peter all of the Nexstar people here make it easy to share this hobby, even when I mislabel a M object . The feedback I get from everyone really helps. I can't thank all of you enough.
Be Well
Grey

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

#6031999 - 08/17/13 11:51 PM

Thanks Tel! Took me a while, but I have finally learned how to use curves in Photoshop to keep the fainter stuff showing without blowing out the brighter stuff...John

Quote:

Late to the party once again, but congratulations, Grey, on the images of Albireo, M13 and (I think you'll find), M57. It really is all coming together for you and in particular your ability to retain round background stars despite imaging from an Alt./Az mount !

Also congratulations, John ! I particularly like that image of Altair. Despite its dominating brightness, you've retained those few faint stars very close to it without losing them in the glare !

Best regards,
Tel

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#6043478 - 08/24/13 12:08 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I was attempting a new target for me last night. The Blue Snowball planetary nebula. I was very pleased with the clear,dry Canadian air that moved in last night the high humidity of the last few days moved out and temps were hovering in the mid 50's F dew points mid 40's F. The Snowball was so bright in the test shots it seemed more like Neptune than a nebula. 30x30sec.@ Iso 1600 with darks subtracted. The first is the original stacked DSS photo
the second is my attempt at getting detail from the nebula using PScs2.Nexstar 5i 6.3 FR/FF 1100D Canon.
Thanks for looking.
Be Well
Grey

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#6043481 - 08/24/13 12:12 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

My attempt at pulling detail from the Blue Snowball planetary nebula. Using PScs2.
Be Well
Grey

Tel
Postmaster

#6044741 - 08/25/13 06:55 AM

Hi Grey,

Your first image is absolutely fine; just what one might expect and certainly something on which to work in terms of processing but perhaps a few observations which I hope you find constructive:

The Blue Snowball ia very small planetary nebula so why use a f/6.3 reducer and not remain with the normal f/10 of your N5i ?

True, (and I've been there !), imaging from an Alt./Az., spur gear driven mount at f/10 is by no means the easiest of tasks and, given the exposure time limitations, might not have brought out any real detail, but maybe it might just have been worth a try, reverting if necessary, to f/6.3 if the result proved disappointing. (Perhaps however, this was the route you took) ?

Secondly, in raising the lightness of the background, two phenomena emerge; the image is strangely offset and sloping from what appears to be the main frame dimensions while also containing an odd set of concentric circles. No doubt you saw this yourself when beginning processing, but if not, place the image in your P/Shop and click on the Auto Level feature.

Any explanation ?

BTW. I'm still trying to prepare some kind of guide for you to the features I personally fluctuate among in P/Shop CS2 but as I'm sure you appreciate, no two images are the same so it's all very much a case of, "if it works, keep it: if it doesn't: delete it" !

So saying, it doesn't take too long before one has a feeling as to what feature and "follow-ups" to apply.

Best regards,
Tel

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#6044876 - 08/25/13 09:52 AM

Tel, as always thanks for your gentle critique of my snowball attempt. We have had a remarkable streak of clear nights( if 3 in a row qualifies as a streak) and tonight promises to be good also so I'm planning to try to recapture this image sans FR/FF. It will give me some needed experience in comparing the same object different set up comparisons. I really pushed the shot hard to try to get any detail out of the nebula, I am surprised that the center of the nebula was so bright. I saw images of the snowball that show structure in the nebula but these I'm sure were not taken with a comparable imaging set up to mine. I think you're the only CN'er that has been at all encouraging as far as attempting to use the N5i for imaging and I thank you.
Be Well
Grey

Tel
Postmaster

#6045497 - 08/25/13 04:41 PM

Hi Grey,

There is absolutely no reason why the Nexstar 5i shouldn't be used for imaging, particularly if, (for most DSO attempts), the focal ratio is reduced to:

a) Provide the (usually) necessary increase in the FOV,

and

b) Reduce exposure time, thus avoiding field rotation.

Perhaps therefore, give a little thought to what might be the difference between you using your Nexstar 5i at reduced focal length, (e.g. f/6.3) and I using my "cheapo" Chinese Phenix 4" refractor at f/5.9. I'm sure the conclusion you'll reach is that there is little if anything between them. Where I score, is (only) in the use of a good, worm gear driven GEM !

As to imaging this evening, if you do manage to make a f/10 attempt at the "Snowball" tonight, may I suggest that, because it might well be more difficult to hold in the FOV, perhaps cut your exposure time to, say, 20/25 seconds. max. ? It may be more difficult to see in the collected and stacked subs, but remember, P/Shop is a very powerful tool !

Don't however look for too much detail in the nebula itself, it will still be very small even at f/10 and thus the resolution very restricted. In other words, don't try to stretch it !

On the other hand, If you do want to attempt something similar, I think you'll find that the Ring Nebula, (M57), resolves a lot better at f/10 particularly after a little tweaking in P/shop !

Just a few further thoughts which might help. Good luck with both the weather and thus with your planned imaging tonight !

Best regards,
Tel

BTW: Many thanks for the very kind comment.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

#6045795 - 08/25/13 07:30 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Hi grey,

I am impressed by how round your stars are in the cropped shot with 30 second subs. I am finding that 20 seconds is as far as I can go to keep trailing to a minimum. Here is a shot I took of M39 last night. I stacked 50 x 20 seconds using an AT72 and a QHY9C on my Nexstar 8SE mount...CS...John

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: John Miele]
      #6045820 - 08/25/13 07:49 PM

Hi John,

Congratulations on a fine image of M39 !

I would entirely agree with you in not trying to "push" too far with the exposure time. More has been managed with success, there's no denying, but in my experience, (rule of thumb), around 30 seconds is pretty well the cut-off point. At that, I prefer to let P/Shop processing take over !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6046391 - 08/26/13 04:23 AM

By the way, Grey, I've just seen, on looking back over a few posts, that you've already imaged the Ring Nebula to good effect but, then again, I assume this was carried out at f/6.3. (?)

If this were the case, then I think it would still be worth tackling M57 at f/10 in order to gain better resolution of the gaseous, outer layer and at the same time, the probable capture of the central, Mag. 15 star !

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: << 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59276

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics