Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
question to those who does concrete work
      #6002501 - 08/02/13 01:48 AM

I would like to have a concrete slab put in to replace a patio with red 16x16 inch blocks that I installed and did not do a very good job of it. I had a free estimate done and the person doing it gave me a price for taking up all the blocks, building the forms and poring the concrete ( 260 sq ft) for $1750, does this sound reasonable or too high. I don't know much about this type of work. the slab is for rolling my scope out on, the blocks are too uneven and unlevel for pleasant viewing. thanks. donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: question to those who does concrete work new [Re: donnie3]
      #6002695 - 08/02/13 07:27 AM

Sounds reasonable to me.

I had a 12' x 27' slab poured a year ago and it cost me about $3500. This was a floating slab for a small outbuilding so it was 4-6" thick except at the edges where it was 18" thick. The cost included taking off the top soil, digging out the 18" edge trenches, putting in a layer of gravel, building the forms, installing the rebar, pouring the concrete, removing the forms, and a little grading around it when done.

-Dan

Al8236
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W
Re: question to those who does concrete work new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6002878 - 08/02/13 10:02 AM

Well it doesn't sound reasonable, Not knowing your labor rates and material costs in your area makes it hard to give you a firm guess but 3yd. concreet @ $60 = $180, apx. 10hr. labor @ $80 = $800 for a crew gives you a total of $980.
Plus any permits and local taxes it might not be totaly out of line but I cant say for sure!

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: question to those who does concrete work new [Re: Al8236]
      #6002953 - 08/02/13 10:33 AM

Can't give an opinion on the cost but you have an opportunity here. If you always put your scope in the same spot you could dig down about 3' in that spot and pour in a cubic yard under the scope. Just keep that seperate a little from the main slab and you are set for a future pier and AP.

tadpoletoo

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: NW Michigan
Re: question to those who does concrete work new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6003040 - 08/02/13 11:23 AM

donnie3, Wait a minute...... I smell a new observatory in your future!

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question to those who does concrete work new [Re: tadpoletoo]
      #6003111 - 08/02/13 12:12 PM

tadpoletoo your right that's an option but for now all I wont is a smooth slab so I can set on my roll around chair with out hitting the cracks in the block type patio ( a smooth roll) I guess each state have different prices. I could get a handy man to do it at a much lower price put if he gets hurt or messes up the job with out being bonded or insured im out a lot more then the price of the slap. thanks, donnie

Edited by donnie3 (08/02/13 12:18 PM)

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Re: question to those who does[sic] concrete work new [Re: donnie3]
      #6003283 - 08/02/13 02:17 PM

Hi Donnie,
It's impossible to give an intelligent answer to your question.
You haven't told us any pertinent information. How thick is the slab? Will there be rebar or 6 x 6 inserted? I'm assuming this will be a floating slab. Will there be a bed below the slab of sand or crushed stone? How deep? Will it be compacted?
I could go on, but you get the idea.

dan k.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#6003306 - 08/02/13 02:37 PM

Quote:

Well it doesn't sound reasonable, Not knowing your labor rates and material costs in your area makes it hard to give you a firm guess but 3yd. concreet @ $60 = $180, apx. 10hr. labor @ $80 = $800 for a crew gives you a total of $980.
Plus any permits and local taxes it might not be totaly out of line but I cant say for sure!

Wow! Good deal in your area. Here, the concrete costs are almost double that, delivered, with a 2 yard minimum.

Plus there can be a lot of additional costs such as the cost for form materials, any gravel or sand required for a base, excavating costs if the current spot is not deep enough, delivery cost for equipment such as a Bobcat if needed, material removal and disposal, etc.

-Dan

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

#6003566 - 08/02/13 05:06 PM

this is what was on the estimate: install patio-11'x18'with ramp 6'6"x8' and sidewalk 4'6"x32" total 260 sq ft. install min, 4"ot 3500 psi concrete w/wire mash control joints as needed. take up all patio blocks and debris and haul them off. $1750

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #6004043 - 08/02/13 10:00 PM

That price doesn't sound out of line at all. There seems to be an underlying sentiment that blue collar workers like this gouge people. I've done alot of this type of work over the years. Those that think this too high why not have your over priced lawyers try their hand at it. There's more to it than meets the eye. Not like playing with mud pies. Mike

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question to those who does concrete work new [Re: mikey cee]
      #6004169 - 08/03/13 12:12 AM

thanks mikey cee for the comment. ive tried my hand at working with concrete and believe me there is a skill to it! my concrete job didn't turn out to well. best left to the pros.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#6004496 - 08/03/13 09:48 AM

Quote:

this is what was on the estimate: install patio-11'x18'with ramp 6'6"x8' and sidewalk 4'6"x32" total 260 sq ft. install min, 4"ot 3500 psi concrete w/wire mash control joints as needed. take up all patio blocks and debris and haul them off. $1750

Still seems about in the right ballpark to me.

-Dan

Al8236
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W
      #6004566 - 08/03/13 10:45 AM

Oops!!! I just noticed that I need to read what I post better! I meant to say "doesn't sound UNREASONABLE"
Sorry about that!

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
      #6005613 - 08/03/13 11:36 PM

Donnie, the price is very reasonable. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck. He has to remove and haul off your pavers. He'll keep them and use them for some other job so he's actually saving money later. Sounds like he may have passed that savings on to you a little bit. He needs to grade the area, pitch the slab, ramp and walkway correctly for drainage, steel, forms, expansion joints etc. Concrete work is prep intensive and a bad slab will haunt both of you for a long time. If there is any future plan for an observatory on the slab site it now so that that area is level and the rest of the slab pitches down and out from there. Again if there is any plan for an observatory in the future think about it now. This is the time to bury a couple PVC pipes for future wiring, one for data, one for power. Where would the pier be? The capped end of the PVC pipes need to terminate there. Trying to hydrodrill under a finished slab in a straight line without undermining the slab is a pain, saw cutting is messy and expensive. This is the time to plan for the future while things are easy and much less expensive. Even if you don't do an observatory you, or the next owner can use those lines for a really nice patio set up.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 675

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics