Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
BiffSpiffster
journeyman

Reged: 03/21/09

Cell phone imaging
      #6002633 - 08/02/13 06:15 AM

I do a fair amount of Outreach with my little 4.5" dob. Usually have some part of a first quarter moon to look at. I use a 32mm or 26mm eyepiece which gives a very nice view of the entire moon and I do not have to nudge the scope but every 4 or 5 minutes to keep it centered. Viewers often times want to take a picture with their cell phones, handhelds, sometimes might even have a real camera. Anything I can do to help this process along? Eyepiece with longer depth of field, wider field of view? First thing I notice is most people cannot hold the camera steady and they never seem to have their finger on the "shutter" when they do get it lined up. But every once in a while someone seems to get a fair good shot, at least looking at the image in those little screens.
Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Cell phone imaging new [Re: BiffSpiffster]
      #6002807 - 08/02/13 09:07 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

it can be done but its tricky. getting it positioned just right is probably the hard part. with the moon being as bright as it is its easier than most targets to take a picture with a phone or camera at the eyepiece afocal with, what i have found is if you can find an eyepiece that has just the right amount of eye relief like my 16mm Nagler type 5 does, I can use the eye cup to keep the camera square and then i just have to find the light cone from the eyepiece with the lens while operating mostly blind. best way to discribe it i guess is finding a "hole" if you will or window in 3d space all 3 axis matter. once you have the lens in the window your good.

Orion also sells some iphone holders and camera holders that can help with this process but truth is its not the best way to take a picture with a telescope and its definately not something you want people doing with your telescope at an outreach event unless you got the free time, though to be honest and i do outreach just about every month for my club. i've never had anyone try to do it, if they did and it was the moon i'd let them try, other targets I already know from experience its kinda a waste of time.

here is probably one of the best shots i ever pulled off and it was with my phone's camera (nexus 4) scope was my club's Celestron 102F Florite refractor on my CG-5 with a 16mm Nagler.

BiffSpiffster
journeyman

Reged: 03/21/09

Re: Cell phone imaging new [Re: frito]
      #6004348 - 08/03/13 05:06 AM

Thank you so much, great tips. Nice picture, if I can get people to do that they would be so happy. You are right, when we do school star parties there is no time for pictures. But we do a monthly sidewalk moon gaze that is much more relaxed. Thanks again.
Steve Shaffer
Astronomical Society of Las Cruces
New Mexico

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 192

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics