Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
NoRain
journeyman

Reged: 07/16/13

Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new
      #5974121 - 07/16/13 01:11 PM

Hello
I just got a ETX90 been using a ES 8.8mm on Saturn now.Is anyone using a higher mag with this scope,will there be a better view with a 7mm can I go to a 6mm or is that to much. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dengwer
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Texas
Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new [Re: NoRain]
      #5974280 - 07/16/13 02:21 PM

My wife's ETX90 can handle 7mm with no sweat and handles 6mm on Moon, Mars,Saturn and double stars well.

NoRain
journeyman

Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new [Re: dengwer]
      #5974311 - 07/16/13 02:36 PM

Hi dengwer
ok great so I can go as high as a 6mm.Have you look at Saturn thru the 6mm was it great?

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5974517 - 07/16/13 04:19 PM

Hello and welcome to Cloudy Nights! I just got that EP and it's pretty nice. I have a ETX90 that I have had for over 12yrs. and still works pretty well. For me in my observing site, I can rarely go over 10mm on that scope because of seeing conditions. If you are getting clean sharp views of Saturn at 140x and can see the Cassini Division, you must have pretty good skies. I also have a 80ED and the most I can push that is 125x. Also you have to be concerned about eye relief the stronger you go.

Have fun!

NoRain
journeyman

Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new [Re: REC]
      #5974561 - 07/16/13 04:34 PM

Hello Rec
When you say you just got the EP was it the 7mm(what brand)and when you say you can rarely go over 10mm (meaning 9-8-7-6)because right now I have been using the ES 8.8 with no problems,and I am in NJ now.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5975216 - 07/16/13 11:13 PM

7mm often.
6mm in really good seeing, like last night.

NoRain
journeyman

Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new [Re: moynihan]
      #5975812 - 07/17/13 11:35 AM

Thanks guys,I will start looking for a good 7mm now.

justfred

Reged: 09/24/10

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
      #5976797 - 07/17/13 08:42 PM

Consider the University Optics 7mm ortho. Really sharp and contrasty... on the nights that the air will support the magnification. You can go higher to split doubles but on planets and the moon you won't see much unless the night is unusually still. And on the doubles if they are note equally matched, the brighter one's airy disk will hide a closer companion.

I've had an original ETX 90RA for a very long time and its been used an awful lot. Really good scopes. I have had a Questar for a couple of years now and it honestly gets most of the use now, but I still take the ETX our for comparisons from time to time... Yes, you can tell the difference between the views in the eyepiece - but you've got to look close.

Fred

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new [Re: justfred]
      #5977774 - 07/18/13 11:55 AM

Interesting comment as I always wondered how the ETX would stack up at the EP vs. a Questar! I worked for Meade when they first introduced the ETX-90 back in the 90's and it was fun selling at the time. Billed as a Questar knockoff at 1/3 or more less. Still have mine since and mainly use it for Solar white light observing mainly with a 20mm SWA EP. Just fits the whole disk in it.

REC
Post Laureate

#5977783 - 07/18/13 12:00 PM

I was referring to the ES 8.8mm EP. I have not tried it in my 90ETX yet, just in the refractor so far. I'll give it a quick look in my 90 tonight on the Moon and Saturn and see how it performs. You must have fairly good seeing where you are, so good for you! Are you able to see Cassini's Division pretty clearly with the 8.8?

Bob

NoRain
journeyman

#5977942 - 07/18/13 01:35 PM

Hi
justfred I will look around to see if I can find a University Optics 7mm ortho I dont think there easy to find.
REC,ES 8.8mm EP is the highest one I have right now and I cound not see the Cassi,could see the planet and rings but not so much detail in the rings maybe because it has been so hot here the sky might not be so great. Let me know how you do tonight,also if its a good night for you whipout your ES6.7mm because I want to get a 7mm but if your 6.7 is pretty good than maybe I will check it out ....Thanks

REC
Post Laureate

#5981590 - 07/20/13 03:09 PM

NoRain....that's all we are getting here in NC! Seems from the weather report more storms for the next week. I can't even use my scope for a solar view as well.

BTW...the ES6.7mm is a great EP and my most used in with 80mmED for highest power at 90x.

Stay cool!

Bob

dengwer
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Texas
      #5982222 - 07/20/13 11:54 PM

I observed schroter's valley and the marius hills last night 7/19/13 with ETX90 and 6mm eyepiece. The views were sharp and contrasty. Very nice views.

David

NoRain
journeyman

Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm new [Re: dengwer]
      #5982683 - 07/21/13 10:12 AM

Hi
I did pick up a older used ES 6.7 on the bay, could not find a new one.(out of stock)
Dengwer its good to know that I can go to 208x with this scope.Next month I go back overseas where I will not have to deal with all this heat and t-storms,so I will be able to really test out the scope.

justfred

Reged: 09/24/10

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
      #5982906 - 07/21/13 12:10 PM

NoRain, good luck with your search. You've got a great scope. right size to get used a lot and enough aperture to show an awful lot of what is up in the sky. The design is rock solid and the slow speed for all of its detractors is very forgiving. Don't listen to all of the folks who go on about what the scope will not do. Simply keep finding the things that it will do and enjoy being out there under the stars. My definition of the greatest telescope in the world is the one that you use the most. The ETX 90 series definitely fits that spec..

REC, we were in Charlotte for the past few days and about got washed away! Did clear up for a Charlotte Knights baseball game on Friday night.

Dengwer, The ETX90 is an amazing scope and Texas has some amazing skies! I am jealous. I'm going to get out that way one of these days.

This is a fun forum.

Thanks all,

Fred
Back in Birmingham and waiting on some clear sky!

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Anyone using 7mm or 6mm [Re: justfred]
      #6003168 - 08/02/13 12:51 PM

Fred, supposed to be clear tonight for the first time in weeks, but I'll believe it when I see it! Maybe you get a break down there as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1108

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics