Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: DA53]
      #5998878 - 07/30/13 06:06 PM

The firmware is contained in the CFM program that is downloaded to your laptop. There is no need for internet coverage in order to update your hand controller.

Stan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DA53

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: Shoreview, MN
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5999262 - 07/30/13 11:02 PM

True, if you thought to download it and keep it on your laptop, and you bring your laptop along. But you still need to bring your laptop along, something that bothers some of us (at least me), not others.

I will communicate my issue with Celestron, and see if they are planning on doing anything to fix the problem.

khingdheano

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #6002861 - 08/02/13 09:52 AM

First time I powered up my scope, right out of the box, I got "Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0002". Ran the firmware update, all was good. One week later I get the 0080 error. Running the CFM again fixed it, but afterwards my mount thought it was a GEM. Had to run it again after finding out that CFM defaults to GEM, and there is an option to change that. Didn't have to do that the first time, but whatever. Two weeks on with no problems. I'm hoping that I have immunity now, having suffered through both afflictions. Remains to be seen.

Pisces1

Reged: 07/15/13

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #6003568 - 08/02/13 05:07 PM

Welcome to my world...I'm a newbie and in fact this is my first post. I received a Celestron 4SE for a gift in June. After using it a few times I got the same message. I contacted Celestron Support and they directed me to their website to follow the instructions...well NOT! I packed it up and UPS'd it back to them for Celestron to re-program. It cost me $67 in shipping but they fixed the issue and sent in back in 2 weeks. Now, I'm exploring what battery tank to get..since the reviews on the celestron battery tank are discouraging...advice would be appreciated.

DA53

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: Pisces1]
      #6006551 - 08/04/13 08:09 PM

I was off on vacation for a few days, and found the necessary Keyspan adaptor in the mail when I came back today. The hardware fit together easily enough. Necessary software for my Mac was on a disk which came with the adaptor. It worked well with the Celestron CFM installer software I downloaded, and now the error message is gone, with same prompts as before (other than a request for which language to use, and an initial instruction to line up the index marks on the telescope--I don't remember seeing that before). I'll see how well the telescope works tonight with the new software.

Edited by DA53 (08/04/13 08:10 PM)

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
      #6006555 - 08/04/13 08:13 PM

Quote:

... and an initial instruction to line up the index marks on the telescope--I don't remember seeing that before).

I think you have the wrong firmware loaded. Apparently there is an option to do GEM or Alt/AZ and it defaults to GEM so if you don't notice you get that. Go back and load it again and look for that option and select the non-default option.

DA53

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #6006639 - 08/04/13 09:15 PM

Thanks. According to the manual, Alt/Az is the default. Where can I find the right firmware? Here is the source of the software I did download:

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownlo...,7

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6006651 - 08/04/13 09:23 PM

CFM is the correct software on your computer. It downloads the firmware from somewhere on the Internet and it can download two different versions depending on a setting you make.

You will need to run the same software just like before but as I understand it there is a drop down menu somewhere (when running CFM) that allows you to select which firmware it gets - to put into your hand controller. Just look for an option somewhere on the CFM screen that allows you to select something other than GEM.

Someone who has done it before told us and I don't remember where but I thought I was told it is somewhere in the upper left part of the screen (I could be wrong).

DA53

#6006686 - 08/04/13 09:42 PM

Something is wrong, as you suggest. When I go to the menu and select "Tracking" and then "Mode," there is no option for "Alt-Az."

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6006692 - 08/04/13 09:44 PM

The option will be on the CFM screen, on your computer, when you are about to begin installing the firmware update.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#6006756 - 08/04/13 10:22 PM

Drop-down list in upper LH corner. Listed under "Hand Control", then click "Mount Types".

Stan

DA53

#6007234 - 08/05/13 08:50 AM

Thanks, but even that won't do it. The default for the installer is indeed
"Alt/Az," but it still loads GEM software. Here are Celestron's instructions (which should be in our "Best of NexStar" thread here on CN).

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewar...

Following these instructions, I got it to load the right software. You'd think that Celestron would do a better job of making what is needed clear given the tendency of the firmware to corrupt. But if they don't do it, we at least should. Reloading the firmware should not be this hard!

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#6007369 - 08/05/13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks, but even that won't do it. The default for the installer is indeed
"Alt/Az," but it still loads GEM software. Here are Celestron's instructions (which should be in our "Best of NexStar" thread here on CN).

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewar...

Following these instructions, I got it to load the right software. You'd think that Celestron would do a better job of making what is needed clear given the tendency of the firmware to corrupt. But if they don't do it, we at least should. Reloading the firmware should not be this hard!

Isn't that what I told you to do???

Stan

DA53

#6007554 - 08/05/13 12:39 PM

Sorry, maybe it is indeed. No offense intended.

jeremy9959

Reged: 05/18/13

Loc: Connecticut
      #6007944 - 08/05/13 04:37 PM

Dear All,

Last night I went out to observe at around 11 p.m. in Eastern Connecticut on a beautiful cool evening. First, I realized I'd left the switch on my red dot starpointer on, so the battery was dead; then, I turned on the scope, and instantly got the Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 message.

So I went back inside, downloaded the various pieces of software, and reinstalled the firmware. I even tracked down a new battery. By the time I was done it was after 1 a.m. and my enthusiasm had pretty much died.

On a whim I grabbed my binoculars and went outside. I got a beautiful view of Andromeda through the binoculars, something I've never seen before.

I would never have tried the binocs if the telescope had been working. So something good came of the experience.

I just hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Jeremy

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: jeremy9959]
      #6008373 - 08/05/13 09:23 PM

Jeremy,

Re flashing the firmware to fix the Bootloader error is a one time event, not an ongoing fix. If you've done a good firmware update and the problem persists don't waste any more time, get your dealer or Celestron to replace the hand controller.

rockstarbill

Reged: 07/16/13

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6008766 - 08/06/13 03:17 AM

Mark,

I am not sure that is accurate, nor am I sure that it being correct is out of the realm of possibility. I have used my updated AVX hand control nightly for weeks, and tonight when I went out - I got the Bootloader error message. I reflashed and everything went smoothly. I assume something is awry here codewise, rather than a bunch of handsets being garbage.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6008922 - 08/06/13 08:15 AM

Quote:

I assume something is awry here codewise, rather than a bunch of handsets being garbage.

I had been successfully using my NexStar 5SE a lot and then one day it failed. I told it to go to Jupiter and it told me that it wasn't high enough. It was almost at zenith. I went to the setting for slew limits and the lower limit, which should have been zero, instead had some funky characters, such as an upside-down question mark. I changed it to zero and then everything worked fine. After that I decided to re-flash my memory.

I suspect that these hand controls are susceptible to getting zapped (static electricity?) and Celestron doesn't know how to fix that. Along with this hypothesis I suspect that Celestron added some kind of checksum test at each bootup to help us know when the memory has been zapped and that this is what causes those bootloader invalid messages on the new NexStar+ hand controllers.

I have no direct knowledge that this may be true, it is just a guess based on the symptoms and reports I've seen on CN. Based on this hypothesis it is possible that you will need to re-flash your hand controller periodically, hopefully not too often.

DA53

#6010114 - 08/06/13 07:00 PM

Hopefully the software you download now is updated and has a fix for the problem. We'll see!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1411

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics