Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ben2112]
      #6001651 - 08/01/13 04:37 PM

Um.. Clouds, clouds, and oh.. More clouds.. Rain, rain, and more rain. My eye is starting to twitch. I sat up the scope in the living room and did a fake alignment. My wife thinks I have lost it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6001879 - 08/01/13 06:40 PM

Ben um what color is the sky in your world? I think your wife has a point. I would never let anyone "see" me do a fake alignment !

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6001908 - 08/01/13 06:56 PM

Ben
If you want to have some fun and really freak her out, try this.

1. Do a fake alignment.

2. Select a star that is approaching the meridian on the east side that will pass over just north of the zenith. This is an area known as the "Circle Of Reversal". It's the only area where the mount turns CCW in the northern hemisphere.

3. Allow the mount to track the star.

4. When it starts to do the fast motion around the north side of zenith then call your wife and tell her to watch the scope and listen to the motors. Make it sound important. When she looks at you strangely, just smile, lean back, and let out a long sigh.

Edited by Arctic_Eddie (08/01/13 06:59 PM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6001920 - 08/01/13 07:01 PM

James - I have no idea what the color is. I see hints of blue every so often.

Eddie - That is just evil. I like it.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6002198 - 08/01/13 09:55 PM

Just checked and it is still 98 deg F here at almost 9PM. I think it was 104 today. To hot to get out and it's clear enough to set up but just to dang hot for me

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6002274 - 08/01/13 10:44 PM

108 here near Laredo. Tube currents anyone?

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #6002297 - 08/01/13 11:01 PM

Matt, I thought it was hot here! Was that the current temp or the high you had today? What a shame because it is clear but I didn't check the transparency... stay cool

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #6003239 - 08/02/13 01:51 PM

If the wind will settle down I'll be observing tonight. Its too strong at the moment(almost 19.00hrs), though there's still time as its not dark enough here until around 22.30hrs / 23.00hrs. Will do a report if the wind plays ball.

Strong winds beat me last night although the seeing did not appear to be up to much, even the overhead stars were twinkling (always a bad sign).

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #6003648 - 08/02/13 06:03 PM

Hi Peter

How hard is the wind blowing? At what speed does it become a problem for the CPC1100? I'm just hoping for some clear skies around the weekend to get some viewing in but it doesn't look good. Good luck on your session.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6003718 - 08/02/13 06:39 PM

Peter - I hope the wind settles down for you. Not much fun when it is windy. I need to check and see what it looks like for my area... Good luck!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6003949 - 08/02/13 08:58 PM

Peter - I hope that the winds die down so you can enjoy that really nice CPC1100.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6004341 - 08/03/13 04:43 AM

Quote:

Hi Peter

How hard is the wind blowing? At what speed does it become a problem for the CPC1100? I'm just hoping for some clear skies around the weekend to get some viewing in but it doesn't look good. Good luck on your session.

Not so much the CPC1100 I'm worried about, it's more the P.O.D being lifted of its moorings.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6004344 - 08/03/13 04:51 AM

Thanks for the good wishes lads. All to no avail I'm afraid. We had a big electrical storm with high winds and torrential rain. It was a spectacular sight and lasted, on and off, for a good 45 minutes.
So the heavens gave me a treat, all be it not the one I was hoping for.

Half a chance again tonight. I really want to give the CPC it's first full session.

Thanks again and I wish you all clear skies soon.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #6004356 - 08/03/13 05:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the weather, Peter It sounds like what I battled with in June. Torrential rains pretty much every day for a month. Then in July nothing but more rain and clouds.

But on a great side note, I finally got an hour or so of some pretty good observing. Weather channel showed a window from 3ish to around 5am. So, I set my alarm clock and got up. Sure enough, the skies were clear. Although the seeing wasn't quite there, the skies were clear enough for me to enjoy some bino viewing. They did fog up, so I was like, it's Saturday morning, I am going to use the wife's hair dryer. Once the binos were defogged, I went to observing. Got to see the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) and got to see the Pleiades. Not a long viewing session as the clouds rolled back in, but a satisfying one. My eye quit twitching.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6008169 - 08/05/13 07:08 PM

Yippee! Last night was clear as a bell, the kiddies were off to bed at 9:30 and I got to set up the SE for 2 hours of viewing time. I didn't care about the 15 to 20 mph gusts. Two things happened that got me concerned. While setting up my tube was fore loaded and the alt clutch slipped . No harm after I loaded it up with diagonal and an eyepiece but I will now need to tighten it up. Second problem after replacing the secondary mirror screws with Bob's Knobs I now need to collimate. At least that went well. I got the scope aligned quickly but everything seemed off(alt clutch?). I had to use precise goto to see most objects. By the time I got set up Saturn was behind a building. Went to M27 and M57 which are good targets in the city. It also helps having a O3 filter. I had a very hard time finding M13 and M92 so I went after some doubles and open clusters. I don't know if the atmosphere was very transparent or that I just never noticed it before but I could see Sagittarius. At least the teapot hovering over the roof tops. Wish it was Saturday night to stay out longer but after a long lag in observing it was fun to be out .

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6017176 - 08/10/13 08:28 AM

Manage just over an hour last night. The weather forecast let me down again. Instead of clear skies, it was 60% cloud cover. But after being inactive astronomy wise for so long, I decided to see what I could in any clear patches.
I managed to do an auto two star alignment using Arcturus and altair. Polaris was covered in cloud. Got a look at M8 + Lagoon Nebula, M16 + Eagle Nebula and M20 + Trifid Nebula. Saw more of the open clusters/ star fields than the associated nebula's but was pleased to see anything being so close to the horizon (between 10 and12 deg from my location) and the persistent clouds. Did catch a lovely view of M11 ( Wild Duck) at a more respectable 30deg. Saw that Ursa Major was relatively cloud free so I slewed over and got good views of Bode's ( M81/82). The size of the objects through the CPC1100, much larger than through the 8se, took me by surprise. Increasing cloud cover forced me to call it a draw for the night, but I did enjoy my hour at the eyepiece.

It would be wrong to give a report on the performance of the CPC1100 due to the conditions and the fact that the collimation needs a slight tweak, but I will say that I was very pleased with what it gave me last night. I will do a report when I manage a proper nights observing.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #6017193 - 08/10/13 08:51 AM

A short session Peter ,but it sounds as if it was well worth it,good to hear you were well pleased with the CPC1100,and i`m sure your tweakes to the collimation in the near future will only allow you to be more impressed with that scope. Look forward to your more indepth report on that fine scope.

best wishes,

Tom.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: haytor]
      #6017511 - 08/10/13 12:12 PM

Peter - Glad you had some scope time. A little tweaking here and there, you will have it perfect in no time.

If the weather does what the forecast says , I should be setup and doing an all night viewing session. Plus, with the Perseids, should be a great night to be outside.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: ben2112]
      #6017599 - 08/10/13 01:17 PM

Thanks Tom. Good to see you out and about on the forum again. Hope it's not too long before you are out and about in your observatory serving up those wonderful images for us all to enjoy.

Thanks Ben. It's only slightly out of collimation, but I may as well have it perfect as not.
Good luck for tonight. Hope the Perseids put on a good show and your general observing session goes well. Enjoy.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #6018227 - 08/10/13 08:41 PM

Skies are clear, yard spray has been sprayed. Waiting for it to get a little darker before taking the scope out. Wife is taking a nap so she can be up with me for my night time viewing.

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35427

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics