Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: NOT a good start. Celestron AVX here a NO GO new [Re: Susan H]
      #6041447 - 08/23/13 08:55 AM

Dittos on OPT customer service... I have had it with ordering a componet then after a few days,,,, we dont have item in stock... An e-mail/phone call notification would be nice and they are not alone. I prefer to give buisness to Astro-specific places but have about had it with some of them... Would a notification via e-mail with a tracking number be so bad or difficult? On-line bundlers (amazon) do it????? Just a side note, the $55.00 you put out for shipping that was not reimbersed,,, I wonder how much that could cost them from lost buisness????
Kasey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: NOT a good start. Celestron AVX here a NO GO new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6041773 - 08/23/13 12:11 PM

When an item does not work, it should be the vendor's responsibility to reclaim it at their cost. Period. At least, that's what my Daddy taught me on how to run a business.

I'll be carefully checking the return policy fine print before anyone gets my business from now on.

Susan H

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Texas
Re: NOT a good start. Celestron AVX here a NO GO new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6041980 - 08/23/13 02:32 PM

I'm impressed with where I purchased my AVX from. I took it back this morning, they checked it out, still didn't work. They called Celestron and a new one is on it's way. Suppose to be here next week. Stay tuned...

Edited by Susan H (08/23/13 02:33 PM)

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: Laminarman]
      #6046151 - 08/25/13 10:55 PM

I'm surprised that OPT did not pick up the return shipping. I would have demanded it given the mount was DOA. Thanks for the warning.

Charles

Susan H

Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: greedyshark]
      #6065359 - 09/05/13 10:53 PM

Update on my AVX mount. I got it back today and plugged it in, nothing! I got my household current cord, it fired right up. I didn't have it plugged in all the way to my power tank. Once that was corrected it did fine. Now, I just have to figure out how to use it. It's pretty straight forward, but I'm so new to this I don't want to break it.

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: Susan H]
      #6065611 - 09/06/13 05:38 AM

Do you have a bad power supply plug? If the mount is good back from Celestron / dealer, then is your power cord (either DC plug or AC adapter) bad?

Susan H

Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6065806 - 09/06/13 10:07 AM

I didn't have it pushed into the power tank all the way. Once that was corrected it did just fine. Today I'm going to set it up in my living room and "play", to try and figure things out. I do have a question regarding the clutches. How tight should they be? I left them completely off and it went every where. But, I realized later after watching a video someone posted, the OTA is not balanced. Duh. I balanced the RA side okay. I figure once I get every thing in balance it's just a matter of getting out there and tracking. I plan in getting up early tomorrow morning and checking out Jupiter, M42 and other goodies in that area.

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
      #6065810 - 09/06/13 10:10 AM

I lock my clutches all the way. well, don't force them, but they should be secure

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6065819 - 09/06/13 10:16 AM

just a little below and north of jupiter you should see mars as well,,, good viewing to you,
Kasey

Laminarman

Reged: 08/25/06

Loc: New York
Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6065857 - 09/06/13 10:37 AM

I have a dumb question, somewhat related. If I view tonight, and my scope gets slightly dewy wet (SV 102ED), can i cover it with a cover (like a BBQ grill cover) and leave it OK? Does anyone worry about the dew trapped under the cover? The plan is to hibernate it while I grab some shut eye then get up again and view.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #6065889 - 09/06/13 10:49 AM

Quote:

I have a dumb question, somewhat related. If I view tonight, and my scope gets slightly dewy wet (SV 102ED), can i cover it with a cover (like a BBQ grill cover) and leave it OK? Does anyone worry about the dew trapped under the cover? The plan is to hibernate it while I grab some shut eye then get up again and view.

Laminarman,

Well I don't have as much dew in New Mexico as you may have, but I do worry about rain. For my LX850, I temporarily went with a BBQ cover for the mount, using a 1" nylon strap around the middle to hold it in place. This worked surprisingly well.

Now I have a Telegizmos 365 cover (there are several models to choose from). Folks even in Florida and the soggy SE have had great success with it.

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6065898 - 09/06/13 10:53 AM

You can buy a Dew Shield and Dew Heating system when in use, but, I wouldn't leave your scope unnecessarily outside when not in use.

Dew Shield and Dew Heater should be enough.

Laminarman

Reged: 08/25/06

Loc: New York
Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6066064 - 09/06/13 12:40 PM

I'm not getting dew on the lenses, the whole scope seems to get "moist." I'm more concerned about doing this over and over and getting corrosion from moisture on metal?

Susan H

#6067566 - 09/07/13 10:43 AM

There may be another issue now. I start a two star alignment and the RA motor does it's thing, but the Dec motor does nothing, you can hear it, but nothing moves. What am I missing here? I've made sure that the scope is balanced and that I've done a polar alignment as well. The clutches are loose, but not too loose. Could the dec motor have gone out? I try the direction arrows (up and down) nothing happens, or it's incredibly slow and I can't see it. The cable to the dec motor is connected too. Could it be bad? I've followed the instructions to the letter. HELP!

John608
journeyman

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: California
      #6067633 - 09/07/13 11:29 AM

HI Susan,
Since you say you can hear the motor running but the mount is not moving in Dec it sounds like the clutches need to be tightened. The clutches need to be tight for the motors to engage with the axis of the telescope. If the clutches are loose you can move the mount on its axis without the motors being on, when the clutches are tight the axis will only move in direct response to the motors. You want the clutches tight most of the time, the only time to loosen them is to manually return the mount to its index positions, or balance the mount when mounting a scope.

John G.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: John608]
      #6067676 - 09/07/13 11:50 AM

Why are the clutches loose when using the electronics (motors) to drive the unit?
Kasey

Susan H

Re: Celestron AVX here a NO GO *UPDATE* new [Re: John608]
      #6067679 - 09/07/13 11:52 AM

John thank you! Problem solved! Went and tightened up the clutches and it tracked just right! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll be out tonight under the stars looking around.

Susan H

#6067684 - 09/07/13 11:54 AM

Hey Kasey, cause I'm such a noob at this! John helped out. I'm on a learning curve here.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6067744 - 09/07/13 12:38 PM

LOL we all been there and done that
Kasey

John608
journeyman

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: California
      #6067815 - 09/07/13 01:25 PM

Great Susan! I remember that as like so many things in life I learned it the hard way! Have fun looking up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3199

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics