Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6161250 - 10/27/13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Tony - with porch lights hither and yon and mag 4.5 sky that included a near full moon I bagged an 11th magnitude planetary 5" across. Under these conditions going small and magnifying big helps a great deal to darken the sky background through the eyepiece but enlarge the nebula enough to stimulate the retina sufficiently. I would go past 11-11.5 magnitude when they are this small and I'm not even thinking about large and faint. NGC6210 is another nice one to try though bigger than 5" its size is the sweet spot Ive found for surface brightness and magnification "darkening" of the sky background. Or - foreground!

Pete

Pete good post and sounds like you are doing quite well. I feel that I'd have a hard time with a > 11 mag PN at my location but then ours sound somewhat similar. My highest power eyepiece is a 6mm plossl. I do have a good 2X barlow that I haven't used very much. That would get me ~500X which is pushing pretty hard around 83.3X per inch. Seems too much to me but I could also get around 150X to 300X with my 10mm and barlow combination. Besides NGC 6210 what PN's do you plan on trying? Thanks ..... Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6161256 - 10/27/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

Well.. I am all packed up and ready to do some observing next weekend. We rented a cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Already did a test fit of my scope cases and astro stuff along with suitcases. I can't wait. Come on Friday.

Ben2112 - Have fun on your adventure! Sounds very fun and I know I'd be awful excited for the trip. Look forward to hearing your report

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6162133 - 10/28/13 09:51 AM

10/27-28/13
10:15pm to 1:30 am
Seeing - 6-7 Pickering
Temp 45f
Transp: poor to good
Site : home 4-5 NELM

65 Piscium again, 5.5-5.5v, 4.6"

Like last time this wad immediately apparent at 61x a clean white pair with only a hairs breath of dark space. A perfect low power double without the bother of proximity glare at this magnitude. A few faint stars against an otherwise spartan black background.

28 Piscium - 4.0-6.2v, 1"

The secondary is seen delicately at 152x this turns out to be an illusion of seeing however. I couldn't make the catch!

78 Pegasi - 4.9-7.7v, 0.9"

A pointed elongation at 400x. This was a very slim catch . The Delta makes this a toughie but doable in 7/10 seeing moments.

Alpha Piscium 3.8-4.7v, 1.8"

Here its a change to have a vibrant secondary as in this star. Dark space in between and elongated encompassing diffraction rings. Superb strong pair at 216x.

Uranus - Seen at 61x with some yellow grey blue tones coming through. A peculiar sight . At 216x a reasonable tho small disc. The overall color is grey blue tho dirty grey yellow-lime tones wave in. View sharper last viewing thru the 6" but pleasant tonight.

Collinder21 is striking if faint in my polluted sky's. A double is immediately apparent within the crescent of stars. This photographs well but the overall impression visually is a little anemic. Only double seen in this though I thought I recalled at least another in a photo. Could be optical only - don't know.
Eh. If the stars were a couple mags brighter itd be striking.

6 Trianguli - 5.1-6.5v, 4"

This one is faintly evident at 61x with slim dark space and asymmetric brightness. Nice magnitudes for both. At 123x its quite the charmer - certain crisp and bright but still delicate. Fine object. Faint candle yellow primary and uncertain white secondary. Faintly the diffraction rings waver in and out with the seeing.

1 Areitis - 5.8-7.0v, 2.9"

Teasingly double at 61x bit uncertain. Very clean and seperated however at 123x . Looks like a slightly less bright 6 Trianguli. These two really make an interesting back to back. Both seem a pale candle yellow. I almost want to see blue in the companion but its inconclusive. Very smart, very clean.

Gamma Areitis 3.8-3.8v, 7.5"

At 61x about as technically perfect as you could ask for. Bold bright and just tight enough to elicit a look of everything optimum in double observing. White cream pair of near equal brightness. The NEAR equal brightness looked off by about a quarter magnitude - maybe less. It is variable so that explains the magnitude difference. Perfect at 61x

Nu Ceti - 4.8-8.9v, 8.1"

The companion IS faint but picked up at this generous seperation within seconds at 123x. Appears ashen blue grey and speck like at 61x while the primary glows a distinct candle yellow. . Higher power would set it off more but this is as best at this magnification with seperation taken into account keeping the liberal tightness from flying apart too much.

Gamma Ceti - 3.4-7.2v , 2.9"

With the 123x ocular STILL in the eyepiece holder I GOTO'd over to here and it was near center after all the whirring . Can't fault that! Alas no companion at 123x though. Eh. So I up the power...

- OK this is a delicate one. Hinted at with 216x but hardly while 320x makes it happen. When it materializes its reminiscent of 6 Trianguli and Gamma Ari but much more challenging. Just outside the first diffraction ring of the off white primary. A distinct spurious disc of ashen hue made out with some strength in th best moments. This is a very fine object and the beauty of the night for aesthetic charm and challenging presentation.

56 Andromedae - 5.69-6.09v, 199.7"

A very very wide double at 61x with an orange primary but what really sets this off this is the huge open cluster NGC752 is it sits on the edge of . All stars seemingly at mag ten and fainter taking the entire .8 degree FOV and a little more. Great object for its location to a beautiful cluster. A nice 2 degree ocular would set this off.

Phi Andromedae- 4.2-5.8v, 0.5"

Seeing here at the zenith is 7/10 more often and as a result this object was resolved to the point the elongation was detected with certainty and the dimmer overlapped spurious disc was seen. Nice diffraction rings in the better moments . This was difficult but the drive keeping it centered makes this sort of thing easier than my dobs drift method. This is an object that tells you how wonderful your optics are. One of the finest sites of the night.

Ngc7662 : amazing finds here.
This view was so good it was puzzling...

My 8" reflector under msg 6.2 skys and 364x never showed this planetaries central region as more than a shadowy uncertain curiosity and often nothing. What stymies me here now is that I clearly saw more detail here at 400x with a UHC under mag 5 sky's with a 6" sct than my 8" under magnitude 6.2v sky's. I'm starting to wonder if I used the wrong Barlow back then with the 8" and I never actually hit 364 x !! Here now with the 6" I can see the darker center and the width of the ring surrounding the subtle grey dark hole. Incredible. . I grabbed the 1.8x back then not the 2.5x I'm thinking. At anyrate from this lousy lousy sky I saw detail in an object the bigger scope barely scratch scratched the surface of. Encourage at 400x I floored it and went to 600x - which turned put even better than 400x - the smoke rings thickness is actually measurable now. From there I pulled out all the stops and went for an exact 1000x and it still looked great - no less than 600x though better than 400x. Very mysteriously at these two super high magnifications I was glimpsing these starry bright spots that came and went. I couldn't tell if I was seeing the highest surface brightness albedo glimmering through or my eyes were playing tricks. I still don't know. This whole experience has me awestruck. The effectiveness of super high power here literally outstripped my larger scope under better skys by a scope with 50% less light gathering power but so much more image scale. I'm floored at the effectiveness .

WZ Cassiopeiae, 7.1-8.2v, 58.1"

. The primary here is THE reddest star this scope has ever seen as well in my 8" too. Curiously though, the typcally sapphire blue companion seen thru the 8" is really a cool grey white through the 6". The seperation is really wide here but the color is worth the trip. The red is shades of deeper red and rust browns with the 6" while the 8" sees crimson tinges. The other end of the scale an 18" reflector which bleaches this out with too too much light so it appears light orange. I wonder if the crimson is seen in a ten though.

A very productive night with the reward in NGC7662 having me ESTATIC.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/28/13 04:13 PM)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6163130 - 10/28/13 06:41 PM

Pete - Nice report and thanks for posting! Interesting on the PN! Not sure about the barlow? I would guess if you have several of different magnification then maybe you grabbed the lower one. I'll enjoy trying some of the doubles and PN you listed and see if I get similar results. Thanks again...

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #6164792 - 10/29/13 03:16 PM

Thanks for another great report Pete. Looks like you had a very rewarding session with NGC 7662 rounding it of in stye. I do remember observing 7662 (Blue Snowball Neb) some long time ago but can't find my notes as to how it looked. I have listed it as a target for next time out.

Tony. Re using the X2 barlow. Most are a two element construction. If you unscrew the bottom element and screw it into an eyepiece as you would a filter, it will give you X one and a half. This will give you a slightly different range of mags with your eyepieces. Might be worth a try.

Regards. Peter.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6167422 - 10/30/13 10:10 PM

Seriously Pete - try super high magnification for the central hole - its subtle but man its there!!!!

Pete

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6169024 - 10/31/13 06:07 PM

Well, so far the Weather Channel, Wunderground, Accuweather, etc have predicted a nice clear Saturday night for Townsend TN where my cabin is.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6169233 - 10/31/13 09:00 PM

I hope it all goes well for you. Enjoy the views and don't forget to post them here! Looks good in NYC this weekend though I have a feeling the views won't be as nice.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6169907 - 11/01/13 09:56 AM

Cloud and rain and more cloud and rain here I'm afraid. Had some semi clear nights but the clouds that were about were rain clouds giving frequent showers. (No joy there)
Did start with a clear sky Wednesday night. What followed was what we have all experienced more times than we care to mention. Got all togged up, got all set up but before I could put eyepiece to diagonal, the tiny bit of cloud that I spied in the West had grown into that large bit of cloud that blanketed the entire sky.

Better luck to you guys.

Regards. Peter

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #6170148 - 11/01/13 12:27 PM

I went out this AM before the sun was up and what an absolutely beautiful clear sky!! This after more than a week of cloud cover. For those with clouds, be assured that all the stars and planets were right where they are supposed to be!

Hope everyone gets some clear air soon.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Skip]
      #6170422 - 11/01/13 02:43 PM

Thanks for that Skip. It's been so long I was beginning to wonder.

Good to see you back with us.

Regards. Peter

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #6172387 - 11/02/13 06:31 PM

Thanks Peter. Yep back from another cross-country jaunt in the RV. This time I took the 6SE with me, but as luck would have it we had maybe one clear night in the 5 weeks we were gone and were busy that night with other things. Dang me! The scope and all my paraphanalia takes up lots of storage space so may not be taking it along for awhile.

Next trip is to West Palm Beach Florida (Susan's folks) for Christmas and New Years but won't be leaving until mid-Decemberish.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Skip]
      #6172436 - 11/02/13 07:06 PM

Hi Skip and good to hear from you! Sounds like you have had some adventures as Bilbo would say, g...

I have my massive 4.5" reflector set up this evening. Haven't used it in a long time so thought I'd give it a try tonight as conditions are not too bad! Hope to have some decent viewing with the manual goto tonight, g...

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172791 - 11/02/13 11:18 PM

Gave up the ghost around 9:45pm. No clouds but transparency wasn't good and I'm tired of the light pollution from Austin. I had a hard time finding OC / GC in Cassiopeia and couldn't even find them in binoculars or finder. I had a decent view of the double star n Cassiopeia. Also had a look at fuzzy M31 and M110 of course no detail. I did manage a nice view of the Perseus double cluster. Also managed views of e1 e2 Lyra. Resolved the double double with 6mm for about 152X. I moved over to M57 and found it but of course it was dim. I went in and out trying to watch a movie with Brenda and do a little observing. The small reflector remained collimated well since it has been stored and moved around some. I was surprised to find this! Light pollutions is such a hassle. With small scopes and non goto it's tough to get going when you are trying to find objects that you can't see with naked eyes or binoculars. I think it is going to be time to plan a get away to darker skies!! Hot dang Hope you guys had better luck

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6173209 - 11/03/13 07:19 AM

Good on yer Tony. Pleased you managed a few hours at least. Nice too that you were able to sit with Brenda for a while in between. I know what you mean regarding manual slewing. I have seen more objects in the five or so years I have had Goto than I did in the forty odd years without.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the 6se Skip. Sad that it's put you off taking it along next time but if the weather is not going to play ball and storage room is a problem, I can see your point.

I may have the odd clear night next week if my weather gods smile on me. Hope to view in and around Perseus and Cassiopeia. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the report Tony. You too Skip.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6174193 - 11/03/13 06:07 PM

Well fellas... clouds are back after a couple of nice days and nights! No observing tonight it looks like. I worked on and lubed my little CG4 mount. I lubed the focusing mechanism too since it was a little tight. I've read that these mounts can handle up to around 10 to 14 pounds of OTA and equipment. I'm think about putting on a larger reflector or refractor. The 114mm yields surprisingly good views for what it is though! Hope you all have some clear skies and nice weather. Well since the weather came back I'll get back to astronomy reading

Edited by CelestronDaddy (11/03/13 06:44 PM)

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6174318 - 11/03/13 07:17 PM

Well. I am back from the mountains of Tennessee.

Friday night: Very clear skies. So I setup the scope. While doing an alignment, the RDF died on me. It wasn't the batteries. It was the finder itself. I was able to lock onto Venus, but I could get to the menu to change the location. I did a dry run before I packed up the scope. We got to see Venus, but we were all so tired from the drive. So, I was like. Oh well, the skies were so clear and nice, I pulled out the binos. Glad I remembered to pack them. Man, so many stars, I was getting lost. I am so used to my light polluted skies, it was hard to figure where things were. I then recognized Andromeda constellation and with the help of Google Sky, I was able to find M31. I showed my brother and he was like "WOW!!" We hit the hay after doing some just looking around the skies.

Early Saturday Morning - Got up around 5ish am. Went outside, the skies were so dark and full of stars. I found Orion and looked at M42. Jupiter was as zenith, so the binos were heavy to look straight up. Oh, I also found M45. Just awesome views. You could make out the band of the Milky Way. I want to move out there.

Oh I did get one pic that I thought was pretty cool. It is the moon real early in the morning. You can just see a sliver.

Saturday night- RAIN and more RAIN!! But that was ok. We kicked back and enjoyed a few favorite beverages.

Sunday - We left. But we are going to rent the same cabin again next year.

The good thing that came out of the RDF biting the dust, the wife said I am going to get a better finderscope for Christmas. So, I am going to be Christmas shopping. I want one that is none electronic.

Over all, it was a great skies and great times.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6174366 - 11/03/13 07:53 PM

Ben2112 - I wondered how your trip went! Sorry to hear about the RDF and then the rain. Sure sounds like you had a nice time no matter what. Nice picture of the thin moon and I'm glad you remembered those binoculars, g. Welcome back and glad you had a safe trip...

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6179198 - 11/06/13 12:52 PM

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip Ben, even though you seems to have had mixed fortunes astromony wise. I too get lost when viewing the sky from really dark sites.

My skies cleared on Monday night so I managed over 3 hours at the scope. Seeing conditions were bad due to the fireworks and bonfires with which people had been celebrating Halloween and Guy Fawkes night over the preceeding 4 to 5 days. I will just list the objects I observered with brief comments were needed as most suffered greatly due to the seeing.

Started with M30, a small G.C, Saturn Neb (NGC7009) next. Conditions prevented sharp focusing. Tried the UHC and O3 filters but conditions made their use pointless. Popped over for a look at Neptune which showed up well. M2 and M15 also fought their way through the murk somewhat. Then went looking for comet Brewington which showed as Mag 9.1 on Sky Safari. According to Heavens Above today, its Mag is around 15 so its no wonder that I did not find it. Had a trip down to Uranus which again show a little better than I expected. Long slew now to take in NGC7662 (The Blue Snowball Neb) As with the Saturn Neb, it was hard to bring it into sharp focus. Tried the filters again but my earlier veiws on their use were born out. M32 (Andromeda) next. This turned out to be the best view of the night. Wether or not it was in a pocket of clear sky I know not, but it took medium amounts of Mag well and showed a little detail. Took a look at Almach next. I rate Almach as good as Albireo when it comes to best doubles. Finished up with a long look at the Double Cluster, a wonderful sight through my 38mm wide angle, on what was overall, a bad viewing night.
Still, it was good to be at the scope and I enjoyed the 3 hours plus. (18.00 to 21.15ish)

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: Peter9]
      #6179946 - 11/06/13 08:21 PM

Great report Peter and I had to look up what Guy Fawkes night was because what I was imagining wasn't good . Boy you learn something new every day. Glad to see you had some time with your scope.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13857

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics