Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6180358 - 11/07/13 04:24 AM

Thanks James. Sorry about Guy Fawkes. I made the mistake of thinking everyone know the story when of course, it's a purely English tale. The night before Guy Fawkes night or Bonfire Night as it is commonly called, is Mischief night when children traditionally played tricks on grown ups by knocking on the door and running away or coating door and gate handles with something sticky (or smelly) . This, like many other such traditions,has largely died out.

Here Endeth the history lesson.

Regards. Peter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6180422 - 11/07/13 07:03 AM

Thanks for the details that Wikipedia left out. Hope your hands aren't too smelly!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6180452 - 11/07/13 07:39 AM

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6188028 - 11/11/13 06:21 AM

Morning everyone. Went out at at 4ish this morning. My RDF is rigged up to work for the moment. I am still waiting on my replacement to come in from Celestron. Clear skies but poor seeing. I still made the best of it. First, I looked at M42. I know it's probably the most observed DSO on the planet, but it is still beautiful to me. I then slew to my old friend Jupiter. As I said before, poor seeing, but I still enjoyed looking at it. Such a wonderful planet. By the position of the moons, it looks like 2 of the moons were on the other side. I observed Jupiter for a little while. Took a break by sitting on the porch. I got an alert on my phone about the ISS going across the sky. So I went out in the yard. Sure enough, there it went moving from the South East to the North East. I wish I would have had my binos ready. Anyways, by the time that was over with, I realized Mars was coming over the trees. I slew to Mars. There it was. In all it's reddish glory. Couldn't really see much detail. I am hoping as winter approaches, the humidity will drop and seeing becomes better. I went back to Jupiter to see if there were any transitions. That is when the low batter indicator on my power tank went to yellow. So, I packed it in. I wish my RDF wouldn't have bit the dust on vacation. Those skies were so clear and dark on my first night.

Most of us on this earth, don't even gaze at the night sky anymore. It's a shame on what wonders they are missing on a clear and starry night.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6188054 - 11/11/13 06:57 AM

Well done Ben. Your a man after my own heart, i.e making the most of what's on offer. Nice that you are now able to catch M42 and, as you so rightly put it, "Old friend" Jupiter. Your correct in saying that M42 is probably the most viewed DSO but, like with you, it will be, along with Jupiter, amongst the first objects I look at each time I get the chance this winter. If you spend the time, there's always something new to see with both.

Trying to tease some detail out of Mars is good fun. Glad you where able to catch sight of our "Red" neighbor. Mars unfortunately, will not be on view for me, at a reasonable time of night, until early March 2014.

I whole heartedly echo your sentiments on people missing out on what's up there. It would seem, certainly here in the U.K, that the amount of light pollution gets worse year on year, blocking out more and more of what little dark skies we have. Still, where there"s life and all that.

Thanks for your excellent report Ben.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6194221 - 11/14/13 09:42 AM

Hi All,
I was out once again on Tusday night although conditions were worse than on my previous session. There was a slight haze, not noticable to the naked eye, and lots of moisture in the air which was also very turbulent.
It had been my intension to try and observe at length a few Planetaries for filter comparison, but after trying NGC6572, NGC7009(Saturn Neb,) and M27(Dumbbell) none of which would come to focus or take any magnification, I switched to observing some open cluster I had not looked at for a long time.
Open cluster are good targets when conditions aren't up to scratch, and it was fun chasing the smaller fainter ones. I managed 11 in all.
Had a quick look at Neptune which did'nt fair well on the night.
Finally on to the Moon. Surprisingly, it too faired badly, dancing like crazy in my FOV. For once it would take little or no power other than low.
Still, I got to see many O.Cs I had not seen in an age, so the night was not lost.

Just for the record, I started my session at 18.45ish and called it a draw around 21.00.

Regards. Peter.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6194283 - 11/14/13 10:28 AM

Peter,I have not done any viewing since way before starting my Observatory build. I just got tired of set up time with having to put up blinds for stray light and the time it takes to set up everything else. Then only being able to view for short periods because of seeing conditions.
Kudos to you for sticking with it when conditions prove to be less than optimal.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6194287 - 11/14/13 10:30 AM

Better viewing with less than optimal seeing conditions than not viewing at all.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6194323 - 11/14/13 10:54 AM

Many thanks Tim.

It is a big advantage when you can be up an running in just a few minutes time. Many of my C.N friends have to contend with setting up etc before they can start observing. It's something I tend to, but should not, forget.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (11/14/13 12:54 PM)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6195539 - 11/14/13 09:25 PM

Good to see you're getting some good viewing in Peter even if you can't see your intended targets. My schedule has been so hectic during the week and during the weekend the weather doesn't always cooperate. I do envy you all with observatories, if I didn't have to set up and break down a 1/2 or 1 hour session would be nice on occasion.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6199459 - 11/17/13 06:35 AM

James - I know how you feel. I would put up an observatory in my back yard, but I have to many trees around my property. So, the front yard is the only place I can observe from. My HOA would have a cow if I built one in my front yard.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6199604 - 11/17/13 10:05 AM

We have had clouds the last few days and the few we didn't I was too busy due to other activity. I have enjoyed reading your post though and even learned about Guy Fawkes! I made it out a few brief times with binoculars but that's it. I picked up a copy of S&T's Skywatch for 2014. I used the 2013 and found it to be useful so I got another one. Check a copy out if you see it. Other news is I'll be a "grandpa" sometime in January! I've been looking forward to that. Maybe in a few years I'll have a little observing buddy Ya'll take care...

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6200619 - 11/17/13 08:07 PM

Clouds.. Rain.. More clouds.. rain.. That is my observing report.

But on a side note, I probably won't be doing much observing after Dec 2nd. I have accepted a job offer to work for another company. The bad thing is the commute is going to be long, but the promotion is well worth it. So, if I don't post much, don't worry. I'll still be around. I'll try to play catch up on the weekends.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6201069 - 11/18/13 04:04 AM

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear of your weather conditions. If it's any consolation, it's the same over here !

Congratulations also on your new job and all success for the future.

Do let us hear from you though from time to time when you get a spare moment !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6201071 - 11/18/13 04:09 AM

Don't worry, Tel. I plan on playing catch up on the weekends. Also, this new job means a 25% pay raise. Told the wife I already have my eye on some nice equipment for Christmas next year.

Tel
Postmaster

#6201081 - 11/18/13 04:20 AM

With that amount of raise, Ben, I suggest you invest in a "Mink" for next year's Christmas.

Worn by the lady of the house whenever the occasion arises, it could also keep you warm on those cold nights when observing and imaging !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6201087 - 11/18/13 04:36 AM

A mink.. Hmm.. Could I use it to keep the scope warm and the dew away?

My wife is very practical. She got rid of a very nice mink coat she received from her mom's estate as well as a fox stoal thing. No, she said she wants to finish remodeling the house. My wife isn't into jewelry either. She is very hard to shop for.

Tel
Postmaster

#6201094 - 11/18/13 05:05 AM

Likewise mine !

What do you buy the girl who has nothing ?

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6201097 - 11/18/13 05:27 AM

Posts.

You pair of daft beggers.

All the best with the new job Ben. Really pleased for you, and the family.

Stay with us though. Looking forward to your catch up's.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: Tel]
      #6202018 - 11/18/13 04:15 PM

Hi Tel & Ben,

Me too! I thought I had the only wife who doesn't like for me to buy her expensive gifts - or flowers, for that matter. Not that she doesn't like flowers - just that they die too soon and she thinks they are a waste of good money. This may come from the fact that she spent her early adult life as an accountant. Hmmm... What do you buy the wife who has nothing, and wants nothing? She likes us to spend our money on things we both can enjoy - like that big RV!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13891

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics