Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6291448 - 01/04/14 10:27 AM

James - That's pretty cold in my book! I don't blame you for not getting out. Temperature last night for me was probably in the low 40's, so not bad at all other than it was windy. No snow here, g. We seldom see it but it does get very icy sometimes. Hope the weather improves for you and you begin to feel better

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6292292 - 01/04/14 04:43 PM

I am not a happy camper!!!

Sun went down last night, it was beautiful clear night. I was really tired, been a long week. Being the new guy, I had cover for the others taking vacation days. Anyways, the Weather Channel said it was going to be clear and kind of low humidity. Set my alarm clock to go off at 4am. I want to be able to see Jupiter, Mars and Saturn in one viewing session. Alarm went off, got up, went outside, CLOUDS!!!

It's going to be cloudy and raining here for the next few days.. The only time is when I have to go to work. Hmm.. Call in sick?

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6292604 - 01/04/14 07:40 PM

Sorry to hear of your weather woes! Those pesky clouds can just ruin observing plans,g. I've got partial clouds tonight as I just went out to check. Hope it improves for you soon

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6293256 - 01/05/14 05:39 AM

Sorry to hear of your woes Ben. Hope you managed to jump back into bed and catch up on some much needed sleep.
As with Tony, the weather here has remained cloudy and wet. Forecast to be unsettled for most of next week so, fingers crossed, we may get the odd couple of hours break in the clouds here and there.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6306359 - 01/11/14 02:51 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Just some fruit from my labor. Got this back on 12/27 when Ganymede transited Jupiter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6306432 - 01/11/14 03:31 PM

Wonderful shot James. You've caprured three great features all in one go i.e the GRS, the moon Ganymede, and its shadow.
Hope we don't lose you altogether to the "dark" side.

Which scope were you using BTW?

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6306902 - 01/11/14 07:26 PM

Not to worry Peter, I'll always enjoy visual observing, but in my light polluted backyard I can "see" more when I image and process the results. The image was captured with the C8 on the CGEM mount for stability. On that same night I did some visual observing with some guests from Brazil(see above post).

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6307596 - 01/12/14 06:48 AM

Hey all

Well, I FINALLY got to get the scope out early this morning. Woke up to use the bathroom and noticed on the weather channel that is was clear skies. So I went outside to survey the skies and sure enough it was clear. I got dressed and pulled the scope out. My goal was to see Mars. So, I setup (Last date on the HC was 12/24/2013) and slewed to Mars. I did a Solar alignment and let it sit for about an hour before I started my observations. I started off with the 25mm to make sure everything was centered. I really need to invest in a reticle eyepiece. I then went to my 17mm, 13mm then all the way down to my 6mm. Now these are the cheap eyepieces that come in the Celestron kit, but they work. Using the 6mm, I was barely able to eek out the polar cap on Mars. Seeing was about above average. When I got up to stretch the old back, out of the corner of my eye I saw an object in the sky. It was Jupiter. So, I slewed over to Jupiter. I observed Jupiter for a little while. I then slewed back to Mars. I then noticed another object right below Mars. It was Saturn. So I slewed over to Saturn. I was able to use my 6mm on Saturn. It wasn't crystal clear, but clear enough. So, in a 2+ hours of observing, I got to see 3 planets . It was so great. Been so busy working and weekends here have been really bad weather wise, I was really missing my time under the stars.

James- That pic of Jupiter is awesome!! If I had a working laptop, I probably could have gotten some pretty good pics of Mars. I told the wife that I am getting a new laptop with part of our tax return. I want to get one just for AP work.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6311639 - 01/14/14 05:05 AM

Well done Ben. All credit to you for seeking out all three in the one session. Saturn always provides nice views and Jupiter must have been the icing on the cake for you.
Mars has never been a good target for me. Have managed to see some surface markings and polar caps with the 8se under good seeing, but they have always been less than shape.

I did a little solar viewing (30 mins) yesterday. The sky was filled with patchy clouds but I needed to give the scope a run. I was rewarded with views of four spots in full view with two large groups on the edge on the eastern limb (as seen through the eyepiece).

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6368622 - 02/10/14 03:31 PM

Hi All,

Had to go to page 4 to find this thread. I guess, like me, most of you are not having the best of weather for observing. Going back through my notes, the 4th of November 2013 was the last time I was out observing at night (have managed two solar viewing sessions). In all that time I can only recall one near miss. Sadly, the forecast for the next week or so is not at all promising.
Still, it has got to break sometime so fingers crossed and chin up for myself and all my friends here on C.N who are in the same boat.

Regards. Peter.

Speaking of boats,

A man hired a boat to go lake fishing. He anchored near the center of the lake and caught more fish than he knew what to do with.

That night he told his friend of his good fortune. "I hope you marked the spot" said his mate, "so we can fish it again tomorrow".

"That I did" said the man "Before I left my position on the lake, I put a big cross of the floor of the boat"

"You fool" said his mate, "we might not get that boat tomorrow".

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6368639 - 02/10/14 03:41 PM

Hi Peter

All I got is bitterly cold clear nights or somewhat bearable cloudy or snowy nights! Big storm headed this way on Thursday. I've been very busy planning my next upgrades ! Hopefully this spring will bring clear skies through September .

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6368652 - 02/10/14 03:45 PM

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6370701 - 02/11/14 04:00 PM

Hi Tony

Fingers crosed the coming storm dosn't cause you and yours too many problems. Sounds like your going through a bitter cold spell.
We have suffered some really high winds and unseasonal heavy rain over the past few months. There's flooding over large parts of the southern half of the country. Some people have been under water for weeks with no letup in sight. The only up side is that we have had little or no snow and ice so far this winter.

Do lets us know how we can spend your money for you on your planned upgrades.

Hope you are looking after the "Brute".

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6371016 - 02/11/14 07:25 PM

Hi Peter,
Yes, for us, it's been cold ...lows in the mid to upper 20's but it got up to 36F today. I think one more potentially icy morning and I believe we are to warm up to the mid 70's. We had cloud cover for awhile but we had one or two clear nights but I wasn't able to get anything outside. I know you and fellow CNers in GB have had your share of unfavorable weather. I'm getting a list of upgrades ready for you Hope you and the Missy have been doing well. Cheers and hope you get some good weather.... Oh the brute is doing well!

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6372375 - 02/12/14 01:38 PM

This is the worst winter so far since I have lived here.. and my wife which moved here in 1968 says it is the worst she has seen. Usually we get snow like once every 4 years or so.. But now, 2 winter storms in the past 2 weeks has hit us. This is just plain weird.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6375038 - 02/13/14 10:06 PM

Well.. The power went out.. So, I grabbed my binos to some bino viewing real quick.. Stupid full moon has the whole neighborhood lit up. But the skies are clear.. Just cold. If the moon wouldn't have been so full, I'll bet I could get some good viewing in.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6376121 - 02/14/14 01:31 PM

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear that your weather seems to be following the trend that is affecting many of us which is..... Bl...y horrible.

Still, its good to see you are trying to take advantage of the smallest oppertunity.

We suffered some property damage during Wednesdays storm. Nothing too bad but we now have scoffolding up to the chimney. Perhaps they can build me a viewing platform up there while they are doing the repairs.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6376168 - 02/14/14 02:00 PM

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear that chimney you mentioned during our conversation on the 'phone earlier in the week, finally broke loose. I hope any damage caused is minimal.

But yes, the weather is really bad ! High winds, rain, some forecast snow and of course, wide spread flooding !

Obviously, astronomy is now on hold for the duration down here in the South, but could I perhaps interest anyone in a 4" periscope ? Apochromatic ? Naturally !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6376274 - 02/14/14 03:02 PM

Peter - Sorry to hear about your damage. I know that the weather over there is really bad. A viewing plateform sounds cool. But the vibrations might be kind of bad, unless you have a pier built.

Tel - Does that periscope use mirrors or prisms?

I hope all our UK friends across the pond keeps dry and hopefully it will be over soon.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: ben2112]
      #6376345 - 02/14/14 03:33 PM

Hi Tel, Hi Ben,

Thanks for your concern. Yes Tel, it did come apart during the storm. The wind strength was frightening at times. Fortunatly, the stack broke up in small sections so to speak, so very little damage was done to the roof itself.
BTW, does the Periscope (Apochromatic) come with or without a submarine.

I think your right about the vibrations Ben, plus it could get very cold up there. Think I'll stick with the Obs.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13825

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics