Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6376373 - 02/14/14 03:50 PM

As long as your car was well out of the way, Peter ! We had a roof tile come adrift at the beginning of January which just missed Hilde's car !

BTW. As for a submarine,..... personally no can do, ..... but I'm sure Hilde could supply a second-hand U Boot !

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6376417 - 02/14/14 04:19 PM

Quote:

BTW. As for a submarine,..... personally no can do, ..... but I'm sure Hilde could supply a second-hand U Boot !

Best regards,
Tel

Thee daft begger.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (02/15/14 03:59 AM)

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #6376422 - 02/14/14 04:22 PM

Peter - I know where there are quite a few U-Boats.. But you will have to salvage them off the coast of the UK.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6376634 - 02/14/14 07:03 PM

Ben sorry to hear of your weather woes! Sounds like the bright moon might have been better timed for another date! I hope it clears soon for you.... Weather here has improved and it was near 78F today. I took my little 60mm out had had fun with the moon and outer craters night before last. Jupiter was really nice and I was surprised at the nice view. It is also windy so I don't know if I'll get out tonight or not. Hang in there and hopefully you will get some clear sky soon

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6376663 - 02/14/14 07:19 PM

We have some clear skies coming this weekend.. But alas, the full moon. My new laptop is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I am going to attempt to capture Jupiter. Moon or not.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6376670 - 02/14/14 07:22 PM

Peter - Sorry for the bad weather you've been getting and for the damage. I hope is wasn't severe. It finally has begun to clear here at my place it was up to around 78F today. It felt nice compared to the cold. The eastern portion of the US has been hammered with severe weather. We've been more fortunate here. If the wind dies down a bit I'll get a scope out. Hang in there....

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6397226 - 02/25/14 09:54 PM

I thought I would bring this back to the top.

I am working nights this week due to some things going on at work. Anyways, I go outside for a smoke (I know. Bad habit. Need to quit), I look up and see a fast moving object. I grab my phone. My ISS app says it's the ISS going over head. So, I watch it as it crossed the sky while having my smoke. Even though I don't have my scope with me at work, I still enjoy looking up and quizzing myself on which stars I see.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6397661 - 02/26/14 05:11 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Thanks Ben.

Great you saw the ISS, must be a good sight. We get very little chance to see it in the U.K so I get by with the ipad app.

Here's the Moon and Venus I captured this morning.

Camara..Fuji Finepix 1400...Time..06.30...Location..Leeds S.E.

A.P..... there's now't to it...

Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

#6397676 - 02/26/14 05:37 AM

Now, now, Peter, you realise you're launching into the dark realms of AP here !

Nice shot !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6397715 - 02/26/14 06:52 AM

Very nice capture indeed ! This is how it all starts. Watch out for that slippery slope!

Welcome to the dark side, Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

#6397718 - 02/26/14 06:55 AM

Just to add, Peter, you certainly got more than I did !

I went out about 7:45 pm last evening to a clear, alround sky. Just the night I'd been pining for to try out my now month old Atik 314L+ OSC I'd bought at the London Astrofest.

I soon got a "Two Star" alignment with the Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro GEM and then slewed to M101 my intended target. With the Atik in place, I tweaked the focus a little out of necessity, and then ran a preview image through my capture software, Nebulosity 2, for a couple of minutes just to check exposure time. Clearly however, more time was needed so I then set about finding a guide star through which to extend the exposure. This I eventually achieved via my old Meade DSI Mk.1 and my parallel mounted Nexstar 8i OTA with its f/6.3 reducer.

By 8:25pm I was fully ready to roll and thus set the exposure time to ten minutes and a final preview before embarking on the main image capture.

Now with the camera churning away, I came indoors, sat down and watched a wee bit of TV while clock watching the whole time.

After the elapsed time, I returned the backyard and found,..... yep, ...... total cloud cover, my PHD guider bleeping out its frantic message that it had lost its "guiding light" and to crown it all, ..... it was bl--dy drizzling !

I have just spent a morning cleaning my speckled optics.

Oh, NOT to be in England !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6397729 - 02/26/14 07:11 AM

Quote:

Just to add, Peter, you certainly got more than I did !

I went out about 7:45 pm last evening to a clear, alround sky. Just the night I'd been pining for to try out my now month old Atik 314L+ OSC I'd bought at the London Astrofest.

I soon got a "Two Star" alignment with the Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro GEM and then slewed to M101 my intended target. With the Atik in place, I tweaked the focus a little out of necessity, and then ran a preview image through my capture software, Nebulosity 2, for a couple of minutes just to check exposure time. Clearly however, more time was needed so I then set about finding a guide star through which to extend the exposure. This I eventually achieved via my old Meade DSI Mk.1 and my parallel mounted Nexstar 8i OTA with its f/6.3 reducer.

By 8:25pm I was fully ready to roll and thus set the exposure time to ten minutes and a final preview before embarking on the main image capture.

Now with the camera churning away, I came indoors, sat down and watched a wee bit of TV while clock watching the whole time.

After the elapsed time, I returned the backyard and found,..... yep, ...... total cloud cover, my PHD guider bleeping out its frantic message that it had lost its "guiding light" and to crown it all, ..... it was bl--dy drizzling !

I have just spent a morning cleaning my speckled optics.

Oh, NOT to be in England !

Best regards,
Tel

I feel your pain! Tried some AP Saturday with my ASI120 MC with horrible results. Tried some planetary with Jupiter as my target. Well I forgot that I downloaded an antivirus program and it deleted several folders from my capture software so I needed to get my old laptop. When I capture several videos of what seemed to be decent quality, after processing I found out they were in mono and had little detail and didn't stack ? On a good note I tried to image M42 at F/10 in video mode and it "worked". Not presentation worthy but I was able to capture something. Now if it would only stay clear and above freezing I could iron some of these things out.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6397741 - 02/26/14 07:25 AM

It's good that we're dedicated, James !

Nuts,........... but dedicated !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6397804 - 02/26/14 08:26 AM

Many thanks James. Think I'll be wearing my Moon boots ( non slip ) for a while just incase I encounter any slopes.

Many thanks Tel,
Sorry you experienced such a frustrating night. That's a lot of work for no return plus your new "buy" is still largely untried. Hope your surfaces are O.K and better weather comes your way.

Funnily enough, I too was on the point of setting up last night but a short sharp shower followed by wind blown clouds curtailed my plans. Always the optimised, I' ve brought my jump start unit in for another top- up boast. Well....you never know.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6398079 - 02/26/14 11:00 AM

I can feel everyone's pain. I got my new mount in about 2 weeks ago and have yet to even get it outside once. If it's not cloudy or raining, I am having to work. It's getting really frustrating. Ah, the life of an amateur astronomer.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6398265 - 02/26/14 12:42 PM

Hang on in there Ben. Its got to turn for the better some time. Fingers crossed for you being able to give your new mount a run out in the very near future.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6398915 - 02/26/14 06:30 PM

Well it's going to be clear all night but temps in the teens with a stiff wind. Spring's just weeks away but I'm afraid it won't warm up till June.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6401388 - 02/28/14 07:20 AM

Last night was the first clear night for a couple of months but I, sorry we, were out visiting an old friend who is nearing the end of his time, so no contest there.
That said, I don't think the seeing was up to much. Stars as high as 55/60deg were twinkling, a sign that the atmosphere was "boiling"
There's a slight chance of a clear sky tonight. I live in hope for myself and all my friends.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6401501 - 02/28/14 09:09 AM

Peter - Sorry to hear about your friend ... I haven't had an opportunity to get out much either. Brenda had an injury to one of her legs and it has been time consuming to take care of that. Tonight looks like it may be decent so I'll try and get a scope out. Hope you are able to get out some too....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6418610 - 03/21/14 03:14 AM

Just had to say this, " It Is So Good To Be Back Here On The Old Site Again."

Regards. Peter

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13560

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics