Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6418621 - 03/21/14 04:28 AM

Absolutely !

Is there no way that can be found to keep it ?

C'mon Mods and Admin, is there any way or means you can suggest whereby we, the members and subscribers can seriously help to maintain this tried, trusted and familiar to all CN format ?

It may not be perfect but....................

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6421911 - 03/22/14 10:18 AM

Boy I really prefer the old CN landscape to what we had the last few weeks! I understand the need to update but it sure would be nice if we could keep the format and look that I much prefer ..... on another note, cloudy and rain scheduled for the next few days. Looking forward to the sun and clear nights returning....

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6422483 - 03/22/14 01:39 PM

A few last comments, or rather questions, before the block descends, but I, and I guess many others would just like to know why CN must update ? After all, change for the sake of change .....?

Reading through even a fraction of the written support given to Mike and his team, there is, without doubt, an overwhelming desire to keep things as they are: so what is the problem exactly ?

Mike has already explained in all honesty, that the failed deal with "Hoopla" has left him/Astronomics seriously out of pocket. But to leave him/it in such an intolerable situation is, I'm sure we'd all agree, totally unacceptable, particularly for a sponsor who/which has done his/its best since CN's creation, to maintain this website for our benefit and enjoyment over some 12 years.

But I, and I'm sure many others are still "in the dark" as to why CN must update.

If not having to "move on" and gain " status points" purely through the quantity rather than the quality of posts one makes or the number of "Likes" one despatches or amasses can be avoided vulgarly, dare I say, with money, then I'm sure that CN's vast membership support would be only glad to pay an annual subscription fee to maintain the status quo.

I don't know, but would dearly appreciate some answers, simply to be able to help this, arguably the most comprehensive and comradely astronomy forum in the world.

Long may it remain so !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6422537 - 03/22/14 02:18 PM

Tel, I and many others, share your sentiments, and the same question you ask is being asked elsewhere, (See the CloudyNights Feedback forum) i.e WHY must CloudyNights be updated in the form of a new site.
Surely the money could be put to use updating the present site, something that many members are crying out for.
Some members who work in I.T. for a living, seem to suggest that it is possible.
Again, and as Tel quite rightly says, most members are willing to pay annually in order to make this come to pass.

Let me suggest that before any further action is taken on this, a pole of members takes place to determine just where the membership stand on this.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6422856 - 03/22/14 03:10 PM

And now for something completely different......

I actually had some clear skies and tolerable temperatures. The seeing was complete rubbish and the clouds moved in around 1 but I was out under the stars and planets for a good 2-3 hours. I got a little planetary imaging in and captured my best Mars ever!!! Of course it was my first attempt at imaging it. I also got some videos of Jupiter and I need to process all of them and will post on the other thread. As for visual observing, it was a little tough picking out much details on either planet but I could "see" the polar ice cap on Mars and a small bit of dark detail under it. Jupiter was really tough. The seeing was very bad and it starting to move west puts it over the Times Square glow. I'm not sure I saw the GRS but I think I saw something red near the south. Not much of a report but it was nice to be out again!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6422898 - 03/22/14 03:41 PM

Thanks for the report James.
Sorry you had such a hard time visually. I was saying to Tel the other day that I never rated Mars a good target for the 8" even under good conditions. So to manage to see some markings and the polar cap under bad seeing is a result.
I'll look forwards to seeing your images on the other thread once you've processed them.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6423218 - 03/22/14 05:53 PM

James ... Glad you were able to get some viewing in! It is cloudy today and some light rain. Supposed to get the same tomorrow but we do need any rain we can get. Sounds like you did pretty good with Mars! WTG

hamdul
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6423583 - 03/22/14 10:17 PM

Glory be to whoever or what ever you believe in.....the sky was for the most part clear as a bell, with an occasional puffy cloud. The Temp. was in the low (Very Low) 40's F. So! out went the scope. My wife looked at me like I had lost my mind and exclaimed, "You're going out in this??? I got all those nice new toys for Christmas and I was determined to finally use some of them.The alignment went for the most part smooth as silk. (More on that later) My first go to was Jupiter...WOW!!! You know in my lifetime I had several scopes one of which was a 13" Dob. but I've never seen Jupiter like I saw it tonight. I saw 3 belts easy Didn't look long enough to notice any details in the belts. It still wasn't warm enough so I knew I would not be out too long. I was using my new zoom and that was so cool to be able to rotate the barrel and watch the image grow. Then I went to M-42 and the image was spot on. I changed eyepieces to a 20mm with a UHC filter and again WOW! what a difference that filter made. I then switched filter to an O-III and boy, what a difference from the UHC view. Over all I'm walking on cloud 9. That's one of the puffy clouds I mentioned at the start of this Tome. Cold is catching up with these old bones so I packed it in.
Getting back to the problems during alignment. The speed rate acted whacky. After I got my 1st alignment star in the FOV I pressed enter but when I tried to center the star the scope sped must have been around 9 cuz the scope moved really fast so I manually set the speed a 4 centered the star and went to my 2nd star. I went to the finder to get the star and the scope speed was sill on 4 and I had to manually bump it up to 9 and again when tried to center the star in the scope it was still sat the higher speed.
All things considered it was short but a truly a glorious night.

Fred

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6425922 - 03/24/14 05:09 AM

Thanks for your excellent report Fred. Jupiter is a great sight at the moment and it's good to hear you were able to take advantage. Pity you could not linger awhile due to the cold, as you would have been well rewarded.
Pleased your filters work well with M42. The O3 and U.H.C really do bring out the detail in the cloud. Funnily, I found the U.H.C gave the slightly better view. Maybe conditions played a part.
As for the slew rates, I find that even when set lower, rates of 4 and above appear quite fast through the eyepiece. I tend to use the finder first to get the object close and then centre through the eyepiece on rate 2 or 3.

Hope your old bones are warmed through again.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6426849 - 03/24/14 04:10 PM

Fred - That is a great report and I'm glad you were able to get out! Jupiter and M42 sounds like they put on a nice show for you. It's been cloudy here, especially over the weekend. Hope to get some stable clear sky soon. Those filters really helped it sounds like! Thanks for the report....

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
      #6438468 - 03/30/14 08:56 PM

Finally got out last night with the 8SE. Jupiter was the first object I went to and the seeing was actually not bad for my area. I could easily see four bands. The Galilean moons were bright and crisp and I think I saw two of the lesser moons as well. For a fraction of a second I thought I had the GRS but I cannot be sure. The next target I went to was of course m42 and It was glorious. The contrast using a filter was as intense as I have ever seen it with the dark areas showing almost black against the bright gradients of the illuminated areas. M82 was next in line to see if the SN was still visible (I know from other posts it is) I could not see it. The galaxy was clear and evident but the SN was not. I think if I stayed with it longer I could have spotted it but I did get it when it was a lot brighter and it was getting to be time to get to bed so I gave up. Anyway, it was a enjoyable night out and I wanted to get this thread to the front page so there you go.

Edited by maugi88 (03/30/14 08:57 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: maugi88]
      #6438686 - 03/31/14 12:04 AM

The only moons you are likely to see are the bright 4 - Amalthea has never been seen through an 8" . From there the others get progressively difficult (impossible) without an imager .

Pete

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6439868 - 03/31/14 05:35 PM

Yes I agree. The background stars sure looked like moons though. They were remarkably crisp clear dots. Looked as if there were six Galilean moons, no lie.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6451238 - 04/06/14 05:11 PM

Finally got out last night. The sky was clear but wind gusts were up to 15 mph and temps were in the mid 30's. Didn't care threw caution to the wind and went out even with a cold coming on. Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts but I've got a telescope and I'm gonna use it ! Set up the beast (The DX) during the day but didn't start until around 9:30. Jupiter was the first target, being low in the west the atmosphere was not playing nice and the view was not that great. I decided I wanted to do some imaging and since it was so windy, DSO's were not an option. Took some vids of Jupiter and it was really funny to watch it go from roiling to mediocre and for some fleeting moments well defined. My next target was the Moon, also in the west at this time and sinking fast. I didn't directly observe our satellite but using the camera was able to gaze its terrain. Went inside to get the feeling back in my fingers and face and when I went back out went to Mars. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the EP view. A very bland side was facing us. Weather and work will keep me from opposition this week so I did capture a few videos for my collection. Went inside and took an hour nap. Went back out at 2 am and went to Saturn for my first look this season. The rings are really on display this apparition. I could barely make out the southern portion of the planet. Once again some video was taken and I will hopefully be able to process them in the coming days. Hope your skies clear especially for the lunar eclipse!

sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
      #6455508 - 04/08/14 10:39 PM

I have never seen Mars before. Over the last week there have been a few clear nights and I was to busy to get out with the scope. Tonight I was able to get set up in the yard. I got the scope aligned and set my 30mm on Mars. Popped it out and put in the 12.5mm. Looked at it for about 20 seconds and swapped out the 12.5 for the 8. I got to see it for all of 30 seconds when the kids that live behind me decided to go out in the yard and pop on the two rediculously bright spotlights. The worst part is that they have them aimed straight out. Even with a 6 foot solid fence between me and them it illuminates my yard so much that I could read the text on my star charts. Of course they only stayed out for about 5 minutes but left the lights on.

I need to move.............

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: sonny.barile]
      #6455947 - 04/09/14 07:11 AM

Quote:

I have never seen Mars before. Over the last week there have been a few clear nights and I was to busy to get out with the scope. Tonight I was able to get set up in the yard. I got the scope aligned and set my 30mm on Mars. Popped it out and put in the 12.5mm. Looked at it for about 20 seconds and swapped out the 12.5 for the 8. I got to see it for all of 30 seconds when the kids that live behind me decided to go out in the yard and pop on the two rediculously bright spotlights. The worst part is that they have them aimed straight out. Even with a 6 foot solid fence between me and them it illuminates my yard so much that I could read the text on my star charts. Of course they only stayed out for about 5 minutes but left the lights on.

Have you tried to talk with them? Maybe invite them over to show the wonders of the night sky and then explain to them about how their lights hinder your observing.

Or you could invest in a BB gun.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6456034 - 04/09/14 08:40 AM

I'm sorry you had your session spoiled. I've been through a long astronomical winter induced drought and am looking forward to what may be my first session in months tonight clear skies and temps in the upper 30's and would hate to have to deal with such a situation. I hope open communication between you and your neighbor will solve the issue.
Be Well
Grey

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6456108 - 04/09/14 09:25 AM

Sorry about your light problem. I would try to talk to them and invite them over. I did that with my neighbors. So when I get setup, I just ask them to turn off their lights. It works.

But a house that is a few doors down from me got new renters. They put in the brightest outdoor light they could find. It drives me nuts. I am seriously thinking of building observing blinds to block that light.

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: sonny.barile]
      #6457000 - 04/09/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

Make a screen out of landscape fabric. The black kind. You can make a virtual curtain between your back yards. Works great I have two.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6457795 - 04/10/14 03:45 AM

You need An observatory sonny

Regards. Peter.

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13852

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics