Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6458902 - 04/10/14 05:13 PM

Quote:

You need An observatory sonny

Regards. Peter.

works until the object you want to observe is in the neighbors direction.

I suppose if you get the right elevation, the rim or wall of the observatory could block it.

Ok, right then.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: maugi88]
      #6459595 - 04/11/14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Regards. Peter.

I suppose if you get the right elevation, the rim or wall of the observatory could block it.

Ok, right then.

I think you need to ask yourself for a second opinion.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6466288 - 04/14/14 07:02 PM

Nice reports!! I haven't been able to do any observing due to wife's health but I'll try and have a gander at the "blood moon" tonight....

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

#6466506 - 04/14/14 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Regards. Peter.

Ok, right then.

I think you need to ask yourself for a second opinion.

Regards. Peter.

You talked me into it. Er wait I mean I did?

All the best and good seeing.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: maugi88]
      #6467073 - 04/15/14 07:46 AM

Pleased to report I have just managed two and a half hours of Solar viewing.
Conditions were between fair and down right poor, due to a turbulent atmosphere and high wispy cloud, but it mattered not, I was at the eyepiece after a long break.
As for the Sun itself, it was sporting some fine single Sunspots along with three really nice groups. I made the most of what I had and enjoyed my session. I counted twenty two Sunspots in total, many being within the groups, and I'm sure, under better conditions, I would have seen a few more. Mid range magnifications proved the best, i.e x150 to x200.
Towards the end of the session, the high wispy clouds thickened making viewing impossible.

The one Goto was spot on after the long Hibernation, (mind, if it can't find the Sun ) and tracking was first class. I was using the CPC1100.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6485655 - 04/24/14 01:48 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Thought I'd rescue this thread to say that I still have not had a chance to get out and observe due to the weather conditions. Don't think I've experienced such a long spell of inactivity before.
The reason I've not posted for a while is that one of my son's got married over the weekend of the 19th April. That which ment we, (Yvonne and I) were away from home for a few days.
Here's me in my Sunday best. Son Richard, The one who got hitched, is next to me, with Son Karl next to Yvonne.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6485892 - 04/24/14 03:40 PM

Congratulations to Richard; Peter, be sure to pass them on !

Intrigued to know though, where the bride was when the picture was taken !

Suggest you keep an eye on that girl, Richard !

Very best wishes to the bride and groom; likewise to Yvonne and your good self, Peter.

Tel,

hamdul
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6486005 - 04/24/14 04:36 PM

Peter,
You handsome devil you!!!

What's with the crutch?

Fred

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6486586 - 04/24/14 09:15 PM

Peter, What a fine looking family and congratulations on the son's wedding! I don't know how you got so lucky to get that nice wife though!!! You know I'm just kidding you You don't have to gaze at the stars in heaven when you have such a lovely companion at your side ... Again a very nice looking family and I'm happy for the wonderful occasion....

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6486606 - 04/24/14 09:23 PM

I agree with Tel, seems a bit peculiar that Richard's wife is nowhere to be seen! Unless he married the invisible woman?

Congrats to all on the wedding. I'm sure you're all proud of him. Now I see where he gets his good looks.

Never mind the crutch, what's that huge thing attached to your belt? This is why I don't post pictures of myself!

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6487622 - 04/25/14 11:35 AM

Congrats Peter! I hope the newly weds have a long and very healthly life together. The wife and I just celebrated 14 years together this past Tuesday.

James - I am like you.. I hate having pictures taken of me.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6487934 - 04/25/14 01:59 PM

Hi Tel,

Many thanks. I have indeed passed your congratulations on to Richard and Rachel, his now wife. They have asked me to pass on their thanks to you for your kind words. I made Richard aware of our "chats" some time ago and one of the things he always asks when he visits is "Have you and Tel been putting the world to rights again since I last called"
Thanks also for your good wishes to Yvonne and me. We had a wonderful day. Will catch up with you soon.

I will address the issue of the missing bride in my reply to James.

Hi Fred,
Yes, I am good looking ain't I

As for the crutch, I have mobility probs. I wear a brace on my left leg on a more or less permiment basis. Please don't worry about asking, it's good of you to be concerned.

Hi Tony,
Good to see you getting some time in with the scope. Hope youi are still taking good care of the "Brute".
Many thanks for your kind words re Yvonne. We've been inseparable since we met some 38years ago. Not only is she a nice looking lady, but a truly wonderful person as well. Many thanks too for your kind wishes to Richard and his bride, and to my family on our special day.

Hi James,
My thanks to you also for your well wishes.
The "huge thing" on my belt is a money pouch. I hate coins etc in my pockets so I wear the pouch. It is usually tucked away round to the side but for some reason, Yvonne has a magnetic influence on it and it always ends up next to her left hand. Funny thing is that she has the same effect on a certain part of my anatomy...eh...what...No,No, I was refering to my hand.
With regard to the "Missing bride" the picture was taken prior to the wedding taking place, and as tradition dictates, Richards could not have sight of his bride until she had strutted her stuff down the aisle. I will post a quick pic of the Bride and Groom at a later date.

Hi Ben,
Many thanks to you too for your kind good wishes to Richards and Rachel. They have asked me to add their congratulations to mine on you and your good lady being able to celebrate 14 years of happy married life together.

Finally, I would like to thank the Mods for allowing me this small digression. I think they help to strenghten the bonds of friendship between us and make C.N. what it is, the premium astro site on the web.
I am proud to be amongst such wonderful people.

Again, my thanks to all. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6489714 - 04/26/14 11:56 AM

I was able to set up the AR102 last night for a few hours of fun observing. It's a short fl refractor really designed for wide field views but last night I put it to the test on Mars and Jupiter. The sky was clear but only avg however there was not a cloud at all. With a short fl refractor I had to barlow my EP's with a 80's Celestron Silver Top 2X barlow. Views with my 6mm BCO yielded good views. Markings were easily seen and the power was about 220X. I think my best view was with a 7mm ortho CirV. It yielded about 189X. Could definitely see dark regions but nothing else. Jupiter also put on a nice show and I could make out about 4 belts if I looked carefully. I put on the 495nm yellow long pass and wow... Jupiter really looked good. I tried a variety of EP's and had a fun time with the planets. The short fl refractor performed admirably even though it's not designed for planetary observation. I also had a quick look at Polaris and Alcor / Mizar. Polaris B was visible at a mag of 8.2 to 9.2 depending on which data your looking at. All in all I had a fun time and maybe it will be clear tonight. Cheers...

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6489810 - 04/26/14 12:53 PM

Hey Tony - Sounds you did have a great time. I wanted to go last night but I was so exhausted. Sounds like that AR102 was giving you some really nice views. It is supposed to be nice tonight, I am going to take both of my scopes out and do an all night observing and AP. I was a good boy today. I did all my yard choirs.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6489922 - 04/26/14 01:46 PM

I had a great time and I sure hope you will be able to get out tonight! Glad you got those ol' chores finished so keep those fingers crossed and we'll send out those positive vibes for good skies

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6490126 - 04/26/14 03:19 PM

Hi Tony,

Good to hear you were out once again. Sound as though you really enjoyed your session.
With avg conditions you did well to see markings on Mars. I always found it difficult even with the 8se.
Pleased also to see that Jupiter is still putting on a show for you. Four belts and some detail would I think, make your nights viewing well worth while. I've never used a coloured filter on Jupiter, but judging from your "WOW" the yellow long pass did it proud. Jupiter is now getting low in the west for me, not that it matters with the weather being as it is. 100% cloud cover as I type (20.15) it wont be dark for another hour but theres little chance of it clearing.

Thanks for the report Tony. I enjoyed the read.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6490207 - 04/26/14 04:00 PM

Hi Peter,
Yes I had a real fun time, partly due to not being out to observe lately The 102 is an achromat and with the short focal length, there is CA present on brighter objects. There has been some nice discussions on filters to correct this on CN. The Baader Yellow 495nm longpass reduces the CA to just about zero and it really enhances the details. Now it is slightly colored yellow but for me the benefit with this scope is good. It really is worth the small cost. Mars is always a little hard since the disc is much smaller. I could definitely see dark regions but that was the extent. I had to use a barlow with this scope because of the short focal length to get any real higher magnification out of it. You know I just read on the General thread an article on how the GRS is shrinking. I seem to have a hard time seeing it though. If you can see the two big equatorial belts you would think you could see it but for some reason, due to color, its always hard for me to see. I had a good time though. It's pretty overcast right now but I had planned to get my 6SE out tonight. Will keep the fingers crossed and hope it clears out for you too!

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #6491884 - 04/27/14 01:57 PM

Hey Peter, How did a guy like you land a beauty like Yvonne? Just kidding (about you, not Yvonne), you handsome devil! Actually you look a little like me and that makes you a VERY handsome devil! Poor guy.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Skip]
      #6491911 - 04/27/14 02:15 PM

Quote:

Hey Peter, How did a guy like you land a beauty like Yvonne? Just kidding (about you, not Yvonne), you handsome devil! Actually you look a little like me and that makes you a VERY handsome devil! Poor guy.

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

#6492278 - 04/27/14 05:31 PM

Congrats Peter. Nice report.

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13452

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics