Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6032311 - 08/18/13 05:37 AM

Hi James,

I too attempted a shot at Uranus,.... back in '06. No detail but just nice to say I'd "got" it !

What I like about your two images, (if shot under the same conditions), is the well illustrated comparison in the distance related size between Uranus and Neptune.

Congratulations on such a presentation !

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #6032331 - 08/18/13 06:21 AM

Many thanks for your input Tel. Much appreciated.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6032377 - 08/18/13 08:02 AM

Great report James. Many thanks. Glad you put your O111 filter to good use on M57 and M27. I am toying with the idea of adding the O111 to go with my UHC. The UHC is doing all I want at the moment so I'm undecided. Missed out on M57 on Friday, skipped passed it on my list. Hope you got a good view in the end. Neptune and Uranus are too low here for any useful observing. Good images from you of the two, thanks.
I see you stayed out longer than me, you old night rake.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6032461 - 08/18/13 09:22 AM

Thanks Tel & Peter for the comments on my captures. I always like to show what I see when possible. Nice detailed report Peter, looks like that 1100 is a keeper! Nice that you finally got her collimated and the weather cooperated.

Sorry I'm not familiar with your English slang. Could you explain a "night rake". Believe me I paid for it the next day. The kids wake up early and make plenty of noise . My forecast called for clouds last night, but by 9:00 it cleared. Unfortunately, this old night rake was dead tired !

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6032495 - 08/18/13 09:43 AM

James, Good catches! I like the colors and I hope to catch them at some point... good job....

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6032498 - 08/18/13 09:44 AM

For Night Rake read.... Dirty old Stay-out.

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards. Peter.

Klausthaler

Reged: 04/09/07

Loc: Augsburg, Germany
      #6032507 - 08/18/13 09:49 AM

Although my English is very limited, I would guess, "night rake" means the same as "night owl", that would be "Nachteule" in German.

Best regards,
Klaus

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6032534 - 08/18/13 10:08 AM

I was able to get set up around 9 PM CST. Moon was very bright but the sky was clear but a little washed out from the moon. I did a two star alignment on Antares and Arcturus as I have a limited FOV of the sky where I set up at in my yard. I first headed to Zeta Lyr to have a look. Beautiful yellowish - white to my eyes. I've been wanting to try out a new EP that I had received, a Silver Top 45mm and they were stunning in color with this EP. I like the EP but you can experience blackout as many have indicated on this EP if you move your head any but boy what a nice view. I then moved to Epsilon Lyr, the double double. I could discern both splits at about 88X in a 17mm plossl. I then moved to Polaris because I wanted to see if I could pick out the 9th mag companion with the brightness of the sky. No problems and I enjoyed the view of a yellowish Polaris and whiter companion. I had a quick look towards the Moons brightness at M7 in Scorpius. This is always a splendid open cluster and I enjoy the various colored stars in the group. I had another quick look at M103 and enjoyed the various colors of the star group. I spent a little time looking at Antares, Arcturus, Vega, Deneb. I packed it in around 1 AM and I think I forgot some other objects I looked at because I wasn't writing them down like I was supposed to do! I've been trying to hone my observation skills on binaries and individual stars and see if my viewing experience matches what I read in the various atlases and books. I had a good time and it was nice to get a little observing in...

Edited by CelestronDaddy (08/18/13 01:47 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6032755 - 08/18/13 12:16 PM

Nice report Tony. Pleased the weather held you you. Not spent much time looking at individual stars. Sound like good fun. Must give it a try. When around Ursa Major, Mizar is always worth a look. I too thought the Moon was very bright. Hope you got good views of M7 and M103. Not seen them for a while.
Sounds like you enjoyed the night.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Klausthaler]
      #6032900 - 08/18/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Although my English is very limited, I would guess, "night rake" means the same as "night owl", that would be "Nachteule" in German.

Best regards,
Klaus

Waere Dein Englisch ueberhaupt begrenzt, Klaus, dann ....... ?

Aber keineswegs ! Es ist einfach augezeichnet !

So weit aber als es sich um >>Nachteulen<< handelt, hast Du recht, obwohl der Begriff << Night Rake<< noch eine tiefere und vielleicht finstere Bedeutung als <<Night Owl> hat.

Beim <<Night Owl>> geht es um anstaendige Leute wie wir, die nachtsueber, wenn moeglich, nur den Himmel beobachten, aber beim Begriff <<Night Rake>> geht es um solche >>Nachteulen<<, die nachts vom (Baum)-Stamm-(Tisch) zum Naechsten fliegen !

Best regards,
Tel

Just noticed at least one grammatical error on my part, Klaus,; hence the edit !

Edited by Tel (08/19/13 04:04 AM)

Klausthaler

Reged: 04/09/07

Loc: Augsburg, Germany
      #6033002 - 08/18/13 02:40 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Hi Tel,

you wrote:
Quote:

Beim <<Night Owl>> geht es um anstaendige Leute wie wir, die nachtsueber, wenn moeglich, nur den Himmel beobachten, aber beim Begriff <<Night Rake>> geht es um solche >>Nachteulen<<, die nachts vom (Baum)-Stamm-(Tisch) zum Naechsten fliegen !

Now I know, what a "Night Rake" is. I'm happy to be a friendly "night owl".

Thanks for your comments on my English. I learned it at school, but I have never been to England or the U.S. Reading the forums on Cloudy Nights and reading english articles about astronomy helps me a lot.

Tel, Du kannst ja Deutsch!

Ist das Wallingford, wo Du wohnst in England (UK) oder in Neu-England (USA)?

Viele Gre,
Klaus

BTW: I managed to get the exact same "pirates scope", I used to have fun with as a child. Unfortunately, it comes without Goto and there's no "Pirate Scopes" forum on Cloudy Nights.

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Klausthaler]
      #6033033 - 08/18/13 03:05 PM

Love the "pirate's 'scope, Klaus !It's a pity it lacks GoTo otherwise I'd make you an offer !

I live in Wallingford, England (UK), although I believe our town is twinned, (Zwillingsstaedte) with Wallingford Connecticut, US.

Regarding myself, I'm English but German by marriage !

To explain: my wife, Hildegard, comes from Oberhausen, (im Ruhrgebiet) but long before we met in the UK, I worked for about two years for a German company in Hamburg ca. 46 years ago; hence a little knowledge of the language, land and people.

Best regards,
Tel

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6033804 - 08/19/13 12:00 AM

Klaus und Tel,
I love it. I'm reading you posts with a big smile on my face

Fred

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6033961 - 08/19/13 04:07 AM

Thanks, Fred, a little light heartedness is always good for the soul !

Best regards,
Tel

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6034160 - 08/19/13 09:00 AM

Tel,
ich sprechen ein bitzen Deutsche, aber nicht ser gut.

in other words I struggled with your post
Fred

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hamdul]
      #6034364 - 08/19/13 11:20 AM

Hi Fred,

Fully understood your German, but if you were struggling with mine, (and only Klaus can tell with all certainly as to its accuracy), I was trying to explain to him the subtle difference between night owls and night rakes; the first relating to those upstanding citizens like, of course, ourselves who merely spend our nights observing the heavens, while the "other", more sinisterly, is more likely to be found flitting from one bar stool to another .... or worse !

Best regards,
Tel

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
      #6035304 - 08/19/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Great report James. Many thanks. Glad you put your O111 filter to good use on M57 and M27. I am toying with the idea of adding the O111 to go with my UHC. The UHC is doing all I want at the moment so I'm undecided. Missed out on M57 on Friday, skipped passed it on my list. Hope you got a good view in the end. Neptune and Uranus are too low here for any useful observing. Good images from you of the two, thanks.
I see you stayed out longer than me, you old night rake.

Regards. Peter.

The olll filter is your next step, especially for planetary nebulas and for the veil. I have one from celestron and it works well without costing much. I now ended up using more frequently my olll than uhc filter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: coutleef]
      #6035848 - 08/20/13 04:47 AM

Thanks Francois, I probably will take the plunge and buy a O111 filter following your advice. I intended to try the UHC on the veil while I was observing on Friday night, but clouds were in the way.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

#6035890 - 08/20/13 06:24 AM

Hi Peter,

Just a thought, adding to Francois' recommendation.

If you intend getting an Olll filter, it's perhaps wise to specify that it's, (in your case), for visual use only.

Those used for imaging are different in as much as they normally permit IR to pass through them as a bonus feature for this facet of out hobby but one which is unnecessary for visual use.

Hence and pleasingly so, the Olll "visuals" are cheaper but nonetheless effective in their particular design.

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: Tel]
      #6035908 - 08/20/13 06:55 AM

Hi Tel.

Many thanks for that. It is something that would not have crossed my mind to look out for. And to add to that, I'm all for Cheaper.

Will be in touch soon.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10414

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics