Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Tel]
      #6151134 - 10/22/13 06:26 AM

Tel, Thanks for your good wishes! My wife said thanks and she is feeling a little better, g ...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6156366 - 10/24/13 09:07 PM

Thanks, Tel. I am feeling a whole lot better. I have clear skies. I just pulled out the scope earlier to enjoy a nice view of Venus before it went behind some trees. Wife said it looked like a miniature moon. She is right. It was like a crescent moon. My wife was really surprised how fast I had the scope setup and tracking. I told her that is why the SE models of scope are so popular. Got my alarm set to get up at 4:45am. Going to set up the scope again before heading to work. If the skies stay clear, I am going to pull an all nighter. Won't go to bed until I see the dawn. Ok.. I'll probably take a nap first.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6156384 - 10/24/13 09:18 PM

Hot dang ... a nap .... urrr I mean Jupiter Hope you get a good view. Visually it's looking pretty good when I go out of a morning and get the paper. Looking forward to a good post!! I hope we keep our clear skies thru the weekend but I'm hearing we may have a little rain coming in Keeping my fingers crossed.... Have fun, Tony

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6156806 - 10/25/13 04:30 AM

Hi Ben,

Good to hear that you're well on the mend from that sinus attack and that you were able to get a night's viewing in !

Despite the bad weather we've been having of late, I managed to get a few, (unsuccessful imaging) hours in on last Wednesday's clear night but I think my time for "all night sessions" is rapidly declining as old age creeps on !

So saying, we revert to Universal Time over here tomorrow evening so that in itself will help me capture what I want within an earlier time frame and then be tucked up in bed at a befitting hour !

Many thanks also for that tip-off regarding the Stellarium / ISON "plug in". Yes, as you suggested, I was unaware of it so I'll certainly give it a try !

Whether however, I can raise myself from a warm bed in the wee small hours of the next few days before ISON is swamped by the early morning dawn light, may be a subject for speculation !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6156809 - 10/25/13 04:38 AM

Hi Tony,

Good also to learn that your wife is a little better. I hope by now that she is well on the way to full recovery. As I think I might have said, I only experienced sinus problems once but, "Oh Boy" ! Was that painful ! I can therefore clearly sympathise !

Wish her well,

Best regards,
Tel

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158316 - 10/25/13 10:10 PM

Hi Tel, The wife is almost completely well! Thanks for asking She said to pass along her thanks! Weather here has taken a turn for the worse after several days of nice days. Clouds have returned and along with them a chance of rain. Keeping my fingers crossed that it clears up though. Hope you are well and you get some observing in

Tel
Postmaster

#6158644 - 10/26/13 05:01 AM

Good to hear, Tony !

Weather-wise, ours is somewhat in sympathy with yours, namely: we're awaiting rain and high, wind storm conditions tomorrow ! All hatches are therefore battened down. I just hope the roof of my dome stays on !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6158686 - 10/26/13 06:56 AM

I braved a little frost on my pumpkin Friday morning to catch some Jupiter videos. After I get a chance to process them I will post on the AP graduates thread.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158689 - 10/26/13 07:02 AM

Good luck with the storm, Tel. I hope you weather through it fine.

As for me, clear skies this morning. I got up around 3:30. My daughter woke up and came outside with me as I was setting up. We had an Astronomy lesson. As I pointed to the sky,I asked her what constellation was that. She said Orion. I said very good. I then asked her to name the blob under the 3 stars. She said Orions Nebula. I said very good. I then asked her to name 3 of Orion's stars. She was able to give me 2 of them, Betelgeuse and Bellatrix. I then pointed to the moon and asked her what was the bright object near the moon. She said it's a planet. I said which one. She thought for a minute. I said, it has stripes. She said, Jupiter. Going to make her a Junior Amateur Astronomer yet.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6158693 - 10/26/13 07:09 AM

Quote:

I braved a little frost on my pumpkin Friday morning .......

As they'd respond over here, James:

"There's no answer to that" !

Looking forward to seeing the Jupiter images !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#6158712 - 10/26/13 07:40 AM

Thanks Ben !

Personally I think the UK's Met. Office are, in their inimitable and mostly, "miles adrift from reality" style, hyping up this coming storm. On the one hand they're advocating 80mph gusts for the area while on the other, their local forecast predicts 43mph max. !

It sounds as if your daughter has already been "bitten by the bug" and from what you say, she's certainly beginning "to know her stuff" ! It's really nice to hear of members of a family possessing enthusiasm for the same hobby, enjoying it and learning about it as they go ! A somewhat rare occurrence !

My wife, Hilde,..... likes knitting !

Best regards,
Tel

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158714 - 10/26/13 07:46 AM

Well, have her knit you some scarfs and mittens to help keep you warm while you are out observing.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6158903 - 10/26/13 10:42 AM

Based in the recent successes on small but bright to relatively faint planetary nebula with my C6 I am encouraged to seek more despite the 4.5 magnitude limit naked eye. I didn't even use light pollution filters as high magnification in these small discs down to 5 arc seconds was doing a fine job all on its own. My impression was small planetary nebula under high power show as well as larger planetary at low power with a filter. I'm calling the magnitude on the near stellar size planetaries at 11-11.5v just to keep surface brightness robust enough to shine well.

Just passing it along.

Pete

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6158958 - 10/26/13 11:12 AM

Pete - I'm happy with the capability of my 6SE optics wise. I do need to try to catch more PN's though. I live in a red zone so I'm challenged in that regard. The last PN I looked at was M57 with a magnitude of around 8.8 and I don't know what I can expect past that but sounds like you have had success. EP wise I can get 250X without using a barlow. My 6" is collimated well so I can probably go higher than than 250X. So you are pushing over 300X? Which PN's have you been observing? Tony

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Qu├ębec, Canada
      #6159255 - 10/26/13 02:07 PM

Planetary nebulas can often be seen from the city. They go through ligth pollution fairly well, much better than reflection nebulas. The blinking, eskimo or catseye are fairly easy from a white zone but i never managed to see the veil from the city.

They are small and brigth so they well magnification

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: coutleef]
      #6159742 - 10/26/13 08:04 PM

Well I have clouds this weekend I wanted to begin my Cassiopeia cluster observation but not going to happen this weekend. I'm sick of the red zone I live in but I guess it could be worse,g. I will start working on a list on PN's too after hearing from Pete and coutleef. Hope some of you received some clear skies. I think that Peter and Tel were going to be rained in or loaded with clouds Well I did get the yard mowed, weed whacked and edged. Bought a new 32 qt sized pot and got a plant potted that my wife asked me to do! I'd rather be setting up a scope with some fresh brewed java and getting ready for some nice viewing!! Maybe next weekend, g....

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6160370 - 10/27/13 09:14 AM

Tony - with porch lights hither and yon and mag 4.5 sky that included a near full moon I bagged an 11th magnitude planetary 5" across. Under these conditions going small and magnifying big helps a great deal to darken the sky background through the eyepiece but enlarge the nebula enough to stimulate the retina sufficiently. I would go past 11-11.5 magnitude when they are this small and I'm not even thinking about large and faint. NGC6210 is another nice one to try though bigger than 5" its size is the sweet spot Ive found for surface brightness and magnification "darkening" of the sky background. Or - foreground!

Pete

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6161066 - 10/27/13 04:47 PM

Well.. I am all packed up and ready to do some observing next weekend. We rented a cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Already did a test fit of my scope cases and astro stuff along with suitcases. I can't wait. Come on Friday.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #6161133 - 10/27/13 05:29 PM

Just got back from a three day/night break with Yvonne. Good to see so many interesting posts. Will catch up over the next few days. There's a storm threatening for tonight and into tomorrow morning. As Tel has said, it probably wont be as bad as they are making out, hopefully.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: Peter9]
      #6161232 - 10/27/13 06:27 PM

Peter - Glad to hear you and the missy had a nice retreat! Have been missing your post. Hope you and Tel survive the weather and hopefully it will not be as bad as it sounded. It's been clouds and mist for much of the day here. Stay dry and have some hot tea, I just had a nice hot cup myself

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10432

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics