Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new
      #6017251 - 08/10/13 09:47 AM

What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus

By Steve Coe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6017492 - 08/10/13 11:57 AM

Excellent article, Steve! I use the BSA anytime I'm observing with my ST80 or 20x80's, it's the perfect companion.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #6017969 - 08/10/13 05:02 PM

Scott;

I think Brian Skiff and Wil Tirion provided a really excellent small set of charts. Just deep enough for binoculars and small scopes and easy to use. I do wish it was spiral bound so it set flat, but ya cain't have it all.

Glad you enjoyed the article;
Steve Coe

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6018218 - 08/10/13 08:31 PM

IC4665 has always fascinated me. Thanks for sharing Steve.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #6018444 - 08/11/13 01:07 AM

Daniel;

I "discovered" it many years ago in binoculars, just poking around the Milky Way. Then, of course, it was on the Tirion Star Atlas and my heart was broken.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #6018680 - 08/11/13 09:26 AM

Steve,
Great job on a very interesting object. This cluster has always been a favorite binocular target for me and you have provided great information about the cluster.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: blb]
      #6019664 - 08/11/13 08:31 PM

Buddy;

Thank you for the kind words, it is always nice to hear from a satisfied customer.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #6021665 - 08/12/13 09:13 PM

This one is a perennial favorite for my summer bino observing! It's a good example of the kinds of objects which are the equal of, if not better than, many Messiers.

An interesting aspect of this cluster is that it lies in the plane of Gould's Belt, not far beyond the currently estimated periphery as defined by enhanced density of molecular and atomic gas due to a more recent burst of star formation, and seems to be of an age not too unlike the Pleiades and alpha Persei clusters. These latter two systems lie not far from the middle of the roughly elliptical and highly flattened Gould Belt, and are thought to *possibly* be of the first generation of stars to form in the Belt. I wonder if IC 4665 is related to the Belt...

It's important to stress that Trumpler's classification scheme is observational, or descriptive of the appearance on the plane of the sky. The presence of the "n" merely means that nebulosity is superimposed. It does not imply that the cluster is actually involved *in* the nebulosity. There are a number of clusters now known to be most certainly superimposed upon unrelated nebulosity, the result of a chance alignment.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #6021851 - 08/12/13 10:51 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

Hi Steve,

A great article with nice illustrations and timely for those who haven't seen this object. My attention was first drawn to IC 4665 by a binocular sketch that Rony de Laet from Belgium posted in the Sketching Forum a few years ago. He called it the Summer Beehive.

You might be interested in this sketch I did two years ago at Green Bank Star Quest 8. I used my trusty Astroscan, a great scope for low power rich field views. Conditions were very good which, as you say in your article, helps to get a good look at this pretty cluster.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6022176 - 08/13/13 03:42 AM

I know of several people who have an Astroscan and use it often. The easy to use telescope is the one that gets used. It certainly is a clever design.

Glenn, I know little about Gould's Belt, but it seems to be an area in the Milky Way of lots of star formation. I do remember the discussion of the nebulosity seen in some open clusters is not a feature of the stars being intertwined with the nebulous glow, just a foreground cluster superimposed on the nebula.

Regardless of all that, this is becoming a more well known cluster and it deserves it.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Peter D.
sage

Reged: 02/09/12

Loc: Central New York
      #6022603 - 08/13/13 10:36 AM

How do you mount your Astroscan? I love mine for the wide contrasty views under dark skies with the 28mm eyepiece it came with (at about 15X; it's actually contrastier than with my TeleVues). But hate the table-top mount: my available outdoor tables are too low, too shakey, and I've hurt my neck trying to hold it in my lap (or the ground). It's OK when mounted on my CG5-ASGT, but of course it's a hassle to set up and align the CG5, and the go-to capacity of the CG5 is a hinderance for sweeping with the Astroscan. These days I prefer my 100x33 45 degree binoculars mounted on a big Hercules tripod, but that gives half the field of view: the Astroscan was my first scope, and it remains a favorite (except for the mount). It's really great for IC 4665, the beehive, other large open clusters, and the milky way starclouds in general.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: Peter D.]
      #6022718 - 08/13/13 11:42 AM

Pete,

If I'm not using my 15x70's I screw the Astroscan cradle onto the center post of my Paragon tripod. If I am using the binoculars, I screw the cradle onto the tripod I got from Edmunds Scientifics that they sell for the Astroscan. It's a little flimsy but OK.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #6026326 - 08/15/13 12:46 AM

Thanks for bringing IC 4665 to my attention, Steve. I' m adding it to my " to do" list!

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: Spaced]
      #6026457 - 08/15/13 03:58 AM

Mike;

I think you will find it worth a look, as I said in the article a pair of big binoculars or an RFT scope are your best choices. There are so few objects from the Index Catalog that are worth exploring in a modest scope we need to take a look when we can.

Enjoy;
Steve Coe

PhilH
sage

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6026503 - 08/15/13 05:18 AM

Great article, as always, Steve. IC 4665 is one of my favorite binocular targets this time of year.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What’s Up - IC 4665 in Ophiuchus [Re: PhilH]
      #6027992 - 08/15/13 08:38 PM

Thanks, Phil, always glad to hear from a satisfied "customer". I agree, it is a very nice cluster for observing with both eyes.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1403

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics