Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Alein 1630

Reged: 01/18/13

Loc: Dutchess county NY
I'm thinking about a bino-viewer...
      #6029503 - 08/16/13 04:31 PM

I am considering getting a bino-viewer. I don't have a $1000+ for one (although I would love one like that ), a binoviewer for about $ 250
+ or - $50 would be great, like:

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&...

Will this reach focus with my 8" f/6 dob? I have 40mm of back focus, would I need the 2x nosepiece corrector? The nosepiece extender?

Ill use the supplied 20mm eyepieces and likely buy extra Hyperions or ill get ES eyepieces.

Next, are there any other bino viewers I should consider?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: Alein 1630]
      #6029550 - 08/16/13 05:00 PM

you'll have to use a 2x ocs or barlow to maybe get it in focus.

since I made my dob it was easy enough to add another set of holes 4in higher on the tube so I don't use any ocs.

but since I moved the primary up, if I want a nice 100% circle I'd have to change the secondary to 2.14"ma. but for now I have no problems with it as is.

and its a lot easier for my rig to compensate for balance, I just loosen up the "craddle" slide the tube around a bit, and I'm re-balanced.

if you dumped your stock cell you could make a cell and move the mirror up the tube. and get some mag weights to help with the balance.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: Alein 1630]
      #6029977 - 08/16/13 10:00 PM

Quote:

I am considering getting a bino-viewer. I don't have a $1000+ for one (although I would love one like that ), a binoviewer for about $ 250
+ or - $50 would be great, like:

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&...

Will this reach focus with my 8" f/6 dob? I have 40mm of back focus, would I need the 2x nosepiece corrector? The nosepiece extender?

Ill use the supplied 20mm eyepieces and likely buy extra Hyperions or ill get ES eyepieces.

Next, are there any other bino viewers I should consider?

Try before you buy if possible. Link up with club members, etc.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: faackanders2]
      #6030702 - 08/17/13 11:00 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

My observing cohort and myself each have a pair WO's binos. We do mostly planetary, lunar and double stars. For several years now these have served us well. I can tell you one thing we never discuss when getting together and that is.....do you think we need to upgrade? The 20mm WF eyepieces that come with it are a real bargain too. Mike

karstenkoch
sage

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: GMT+9
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: mikey cee]
      #6032685 - 08/18/13 11:38 AM

I give up!!! I just ordered the WO binoviewer from Agena Astro. Been wanting one for a while and finally took the plunge. Can't wait to use both eyes!!!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6032825 - 08/18/13 01:00 PM

Have fun, they are great on the moon and planets and should look great in those scopes!

Just a heads up on configuration; for me to get them in focus with my 80ED, I have to use the included 1.6x barlow in FRONT of the diagonal and not in the nose piece!

Bob

karstenkoch
sage

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: GMT+9
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: REC]
      #6033346 - 08/18/13 06:14 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind! I'm going on a little faith that they will work in my scopes. Don't know anyone with a pair near me. I also bought a 1.25" diagonal to help shorten the light path (I only have 2" diagonals now).

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6034019 - 08/19/13 06:00 AM

I spent Saturday evening with my AVX Edge 8" with my WO binos looking at the moon, and despite the washed out sky from the moon and the ever increasing clouds, got great views of several double stars and faint fuzzy's before getting totally clouded out for the evening.

Great fun though comparing the Moon with my 20X80 binoculars to the view of the same area of the Moon with my WO binoviewer with the stock 20mm.

It was also great to be able to invite neighbors and passing fishermen to come take a look at the nearly full moon. Most had never really noticed the Moon before.

DG Aucoin

Reged: 03/20/13

Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6052478 - 08/29/13 12:38 PM

I have a question for this thread. I also want to consider a Bino-viewer, I do not have deep pockets either and would consider either the Mark V or the WO binoviewer. Currently, I have an Orion XT10, in 2 months I plan on buying the XX14g and next Spring, ordering the Obsession 18. Will either binoviewer work in all three scopes? I do not know the back focus on my XT10(kinda cloudy over this way), but based on other scope owners, would either binoviewer work? With the Baader Mark V, would the 1.7X 2" nosepiece work or should I look at the 1.25" nosepiece instead?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: DG Aucoin]
      #6052547 - 08/29/13 01:18 PM

Dude, if you don't have deep pockets, not sure how you are going to afford the Mark Vs.

Mark V is $1400 for just the body.

For a Newt, you need the Newtonion 1.7x GPC (not the refractor version) and that is $300.

Anyway, if you are on a tight budget, you are so not going to be able to afford a Mark V I don't think.

If you were talking about the Baader Maxbright, then that is a different conversation.

The Maxbright is an excellent binoviewer, but again, you need the Newtonian GPC and not the refractor GPC.

You also need the quick connector adapter for the Maxbrights to mate it to the quick connect dovetail (which comes with the 1.7x Newt GPC).

This combo will reach focus in many dobs, though it is best to test (you can find these instructions on line by searching for the 1.7x GPC... Many web sites include the test so you can see if your scope will work).

Another option is to look for a used Denk Supersyestem. These often sell for between $600 and $800. This will be cheaper than doing the Maxbrights and 1.7 Newt GPC and this would be the recommendation I would make.

Use these with a pair of 20mm ES 68s and you can get it done for less than $1000.

Be aware though that for the 14", you will almost for sure need to upgrade the Denk OCS to the 45mm OCS. Maybe you can find a used system though that comes with the 45 OCS, but make sure you asks, and of course, be willing to pay more for it than one with the small OCS.

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: DG Aucoin]
      #6053843 - 08/30/13 05:14 AM

Go with either the WO binoviewer package (you get two nice, but not truly wonderful) 20mm EP's and an extension. Comes with a nice box too.

OR...you could go with a Celestron binoviewer, but you'd have to supply your own EP's. I got my friend a pair of 30mm EP's for his on his birthday.

Both are moderately priced. I got my WO binoviewer set for about $175.00. My friend got his Celestron binoviewer (remember, it's just the body and a fancy box) for about $200.

The others that you see talked about here are much costlier...and probably give better viewing, but at a price to which, from your statement, you can't afford right now.

You might want to do the baby step and go with the WO or the Celestron.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6053852 - 08/30/13 05:25 AM

Quote:

The others that you see talked about here are much costlier...and probably give better viewing, but at a price to which, from your statement, you can't afford right now.

You might want to do the baby step and go with the WO or the Celestron.

There is no "probably" about it.

With his dob, he'll also likely require a longer extension tube than what comes with the stock WO or Celestron in order for it to reach focus.

Binoviewing is complicated.

Edited by Sorny (08/30/13 05:29 AM)

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: Sorny]
      #6053981 - 08/30/13 08:24 AM

Yep, my WO with the 1.6 extender still won't come to focus in my Dob. You HAVE to get an additional OCS adapter to make it work. The Siebert OCA costs about $150 for it, so now your up to close to #350+ to use in your Dob.

So please look into using a BV with different scopes. The most friendly type is s SCT with plenty of back focus.

Relativist
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/03

Loc: OC, CA, USA
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: REC]
      #6054246 - 08/30/13 11:34 AM

REC is correct. For reflector use the supplied adapter does not readily come to focus. What I did is buy the multi mag OCA from Siebert, it gives 1.25x, 2x and 3.5x.

http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOptics-OCA.html

What I figured at the time is I can change magnifications with the same eyepieces, thus reducing the number of eyepieces I needed. Remember, for a given view we need to buy 2 eyepieces, not just one. The practical part about changing the adapter magnification in the dark is the thing I found challenging about my imagined usage. So in the field when it's dark I am usually able to go between 1.25x and 3.5x since it requires only a single step. See the following instructions as a reference:

http://www.siebertoptics.com/Burgess125xto3x.html

Lee.S

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: I'm thinking about a bino-viewer... new [Re: Relativist]
      #6055199 - 08/30/13 10:07 PM

I had been in this same situation "thinking about a bino-viewer " .Last week I ordered,and received in quick order from Agena Astro a set of W.O. Until the last couple of nights ago the sky was not cooperating. I used the viewer on my 8" also having to use a 2 x Barlow for focusing purpose,which had a tendency to darken the objects observed as far as D.S.O.Jupiter lost its color but was double in size and the bands were easily detected .After the Moon rose above the horizon haze the view without filter needed was like I could almost reach out and grab some dirt! My eyesight is poor so expensive eyepieces are generally a waste for me,so I think these W.O.'s I'm going to enjoy L.S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1213

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics