Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
AstroMan0

Reged: 06/19/12

Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts
Need Help With Veil Nebula Scan
      #6029791 - 08/16/13 07:33 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi everyone,
Here is a scan of a 30-minute exposure of the veil nebula and Pickering's Triangle that I took at Stellafane. Something is obviously wrong with the scan, and I don't know if it can be fixed by processing or not. The scanner I used probably isn't very good; it isn't a dedicated film scanner. I have had success scanning my black and white tech pan shots, but I have never dealt with color negative scans before.

Thanks and clear skies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
Re: Need Help With Veil Nebula Scan new [Re: AstroMan0]
      #6032996 - 08/18/13 02:36 PM

What scanner model and software is it using? Some software has a profile listing for negative films from each manufacturer. This helps to set up the scanner to get better colour. Use a manual mode instead of auto - as that is rarely even close to astro - it's for typical outdoor landscape.

Can you adjust the histogram or levels / curves in the software? Can you list any menu items in the manual mode?

igor

AstroMan0

Re: Need Help With Veil Nebula Scan new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #6033495 - 08/18/13 07:49 PM

I think the scanner I used is an Epson 620 printer; it definitely is not a film scanner. I did set the scanner software to "Professional" mode. Some of the menus had to do with dpi, film type and film format. There were also some check boxes; I know one said "unsharp mask filter." I don't remember what else was there, as the scanner is at my grandparents' house.
Do you mean the histogram in my image processing software? Sorry-I'm no expert on digital image processing!

Thanks for the help!

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

#6034590 - 08/19/13 01:27 PM

That helps Noah. The scanners on those multi printers are not really suited to this kind of work. They are mostly for scanning documents and maybe a photo I would think. You might be able to get film scanned at a photo store? I would phone around or look up scanning service on the internet.

igor

AstroMan0

Re: Need Help With Veil Nebula Scan new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #6034991 - 08/19/13 05:24 PM

The custom lab I go to does scans, but they charge over $80! I imagine that they are really high quality scans, though. I will definitely get a print of this photo anyways, but I'd also like to find someplace that will scan for less money. The photography store I go to might be able to do it.

Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
      #6037092 - 08/20/13 06:35 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

It's hard to do something with a scan like this. I agree with Nebhunter - find a scanning service. I don't own any scanner neither.

Dave Kodama
sage

Reged: 10/04/10

Loc: CA, USA
Re: Need Help With Veil Nebula Scan new [Re: Michal1]
      #6037993 - 08/21/13 10:02 AM

I have not had good experiences with using scanning services because not the difficulty of scanning astrophotos. It might be OK if you can work with the same operator all the time, but even then it's best to have your own scanner because it takes time (lots of experience) to get proficient. This could get expensive if your paying for each scan.

Dave

AstroMan0

Re: Need Help With Veil Nebula Scan new [Re: Dave Kodama]
      #6038515 - 08/21/13 02:58 PM

Do you know of any good film scanners that aren't too expensive? A scanner like the Nikon 9000 seems to be way out of my price range.

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

#6052601 - 08/29/13 01:46 PM

The only scanner I know of which WAS the best value about 3 years ago is the Canon Canoscan 9000f. Reasonable price, but I strongly suggest finding one that comes bundled with Silverfast V8 software. It will bump up the price, BUT it is worth every penny. Stock software is OK - especially for landscape daytime shots. But astro - forget it. You will definitely bring out much more detail and quality with SF V8.

igor

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 575

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics