Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Filter for Deep Sky Objects new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6050576 - 08/28/13 12:07 PM

Bob
We'll see. Yes I can usually make out Corona Borealis curve on a decent night. It varies as you say .. On the map I'm orange.. Sometimes it feels like red sometimes it feels like closer to yellow there has a been a LOT of poor nights all spring and summer.. But the last few weeks have had a better percentage.

I've learned to properly dark adapt David, been a big fan of that since I first learned of the advantages , 60 minutes! my tablet is rubylith filmed and its very low light output when also turned down. and I seem to always be at relatively low magnification I always backlit off when the stars get blurry and so rarely can't push it up. Looking forward to another clear night and darker skies.

I was so impressed with the lagoon nebula at a green zone recently I never even thought to try to filter it. Hmm..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Filter for Deep Sky Objects new [Re: lamplight]
      #6050592 - 08/28/13 12:15 PM

Here's another thought: was looking for NGC 7006 recently (i think it was near the nova in delphinus), and couldn't find it with my zoom eyepiece at the lowest mag (24mm). Switched to a modest astro tech paradigm ED (12mm), and there it was. That was the last straw. Anybody want to buy a zoom eyepiece cheap?

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: Filter for Deep Sky Objects new [Re: lamplight]
      #6051214 - 08/28/13 06:22 PM

Bob,you have a awesome filter before you go out again go over David's list and write some targets down that scored good with the use of the UHC filter. The Veil is a tricky one in higher LP, the OIII filter is the best for me for the Veil. I have tried my UHC filter on it, I can see it with it. it's kinda hard to explain but I get different detail of the Veil with the UHC. It's not bright but it's there, near by lights is the killer. If I don't block the lights near me and put something over my head too. I can't see it, but with dark adapted eyes, using light blockers, something over my head I can even see it with no filter but of course it's very faint. Next time try putting 52 Cyg just a little out of view but close to the edge. Give yourself so time to get use to the filter. I have noticed over time using the OIII filter I'm seeing better and better.
When I first got my OIII my girlfriend could hardly make out any detail using the filter. Now that her eyes have more experience she is seeing a lot better with it now.

But yeah check out David's list there is a lot of goodies that your DGM filter will kick but on.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1250

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics