Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/08

Loc: LaGrange, GA
STF-8300m owners..
      #6030969 - 08/17/13 01:21 PM

What filter wheel are you using? I assume most are using the SBIG FW designed for the camera, but I wonder if I could use a different one, say, the Starlight Xpress. I like the fact that its USB powered so I don't have to run more cables. And as far as filters, can I used 1.25" or am I going to have to spring for larger?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddie R

Reged: 07/02/11

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: Phil Hosey]
      #6030988 - 08/17/13 01:38 PM

I use the SX USB wheel and 36mm filters. 1.25" will not cover the sensor.

Rick J
Postmaster

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN
Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: Eddie R]
      #6031026 - 08/17/13 01:54 PM

Doesn't the SBIG wheels for that camera just plug directly into the camera with no other cable involved? It gets its power and USB for guider from the camera's power and USB line if a guider wheel. Going with a USB powered wheel would actually add one or more cables over the SBIG wheels. Also they lock into position removing the chance for positional errors.

You might want to consider the QSI 8300 with built in filter wheel. Saves a cable as well but does need one to the guider. That added cable has the advantage that it can guide while downloading. The SBIG guider/FW stops guiding while downloading. For some mounts that can mean you need to add a delay to allow the guider to recenter the guide star before going on to the next frame. Though it is fast enough to download a frame that most mounts won't have this issue.

The QSI can use your 1.25" filters in its internal wheel as it is right in front of the chip. Others are best served with the 36mm filters as they are further from the chip and likely would vignette except in high f ratio systems. I'd go with at least the 36mm filters when using a separate wheel.

Rick

buckeyestargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/12/08

Loc: IN, USA
      #6031107 - 08/17/13 02:32 PM

Phil,
Your question is of interest to me because I am hoping to soon switch to a STF-8300m also. I currently have an Atik 383L/EFW2 filter wheel/Atik OAG and I love the kit, but I have an opportunity on a good deal for an STF-8300.

I'm going to try using the STF with the Atik filter wheel, which shouldn't be a problem as far as I can tell.

Regarding using 1.25" filters; I think it depends on the speed of your scope. I use 1.25" filters with my Atik 383 down to f/5.4 with just a little bit of vignetting in the corners which is easily corrected with flats. The camera backfocus of the STF and 383L are identical at 17.5mm, so I'm going to try using my 1.25" filters with the STF, and I anticipate that working just fine in my system. Faster than f/5 and I'm not sure if 1.25" filters would work very well.

gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/15/04

Loc: On far side of moon. Send help...
      #6031125 - 08/17/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

I like the fact that its USB powered so I don't have to run more cables.

I don't think this argument is correct. The STF FW connects to the camera with a cable and that's how the FW gets its power. Your alternative would run a cable from the SX FW to your laptop which to me sounds like a compromise as this cable can get caught in the wind. But if you have all your wiring inside the mount it's not a big deal I guess.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: gezak22]
      #6031157 - 08/17/13 02:58 PM

yes the sbig filter wheel connects to the camera with a DB9 connector which i believe carries i2c (and power). that interface is controllable via the usb port on the camera.

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: gezak22]
      #6031191 - 08/17/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I like the fact that its USB powered so I don't have to run more cables.

I don't think this argument is correct. The STF FW connects to the camera with a cable and that's how the FW gets its power. Your alternative would run a cable from the SX FW to your laptop which to me sounds like a compromise as this cable can get caught in the wind. But if you have all your wiring inside the mount it's not a big deal I guess.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

I think you are correct.. I had not thought about that fact that the ST-8300 FW gets its power etc, from the camera. In that respect it would be a better option, except that it costs twice as much.

Dr Benway
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/27/08

Loc: Abilene, TX
      #6031229 - 08/17/13 03:38 PM

I usually use the Starlight Xpress FW, but also have used the Optec IFW with good results. I am currently populating a 7 slot 36mm SX carousel with Astrodon filters. I plan to use it with the STF-8300M and QHY22.

John

Edited by Dr Benway (08/17/13 03:39 PM)

JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: Dr Benway]
      #6031523 - 08/17/13 06:33 PM

I believe some 8300 chip support 1.25" filters in f/5, some models, atik, qsi etc

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #6031560 - 08/17/13 06:54 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Hi,

I have a STF8300, nice camera, the only weak link is the cooling, it 'only' cools down to -36C from ambient. I highly recommend the SX Filterwheel, I have the 7 filters 36mm and it is a perfect match, I also have the SX OAG.

The nice thing about the SX flterwheel and OAG is that you can get 56mm of back focus with almost any camera, actually you have to add some short spacers to get 56mm, so you can use the camera with 'any' corrector/flattener. Once you start guiding with OAG there is no way to go back to guide scope.

You can glue a small powered USB hub to the camera and you'll be able to run the show with 'only' with 3 long cables, camera power, hub power and hub data.

There is a new SX FW-OAG combo, very low profile and is everything in one piece.

Cheers,

Jose

Edited by tjugo (08/17/13 06:56 PM)

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: tjugo]
      #6031568 - 08/17/13 06:57 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Pic 2

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6031573 - 08/17/13 07:01 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

This is a native resolution crop of the center an corners of a 1 hour RAW sub. The camera is properly spaced to match the 56mm of the corrector.

1h subs are impossible to achieve with guide scope.

Do you know the total backfocus of the SBIG combo?

Cheers,

Jose

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

#6031658 - 08/17/13 08:00 PM

Wow Jose, thanks for the info. I think I will be going for the SX filter wheel and probably 36mm filters, although I'm tempted to use 2" mounted filters but then I would only be able to use a 5 pos wheel, so 36mm seems the best bet.

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

#6031707 - 08/17/13 08:36 PM

I use the FW8-8300 filter wheel from SBIG. As for size of filters, the 36mm filters are required for fast systems. For slower systems 1 1/4" can be used. However, then you'll need to buy spacers if you are using the SBIG filter wheel.

https://www.sbig.com/products/accessories/filter-insert-36mm-to-1.25/

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

#6032708 - 08/18/13 11:53 AM

Ok, I've been thinking about this a bit more and I'm wondering if I even need an electronic FW. Since I'm likely going to have to re-focus between filters anyway (even with parfocal filters because I'm using refractive optics) wouldn't it be a waste of money? The only way I could see it making sense is if I were also auto-focusing. Am I missing anything? (Other than I can't seem to find a manual FW that has 7 positions..)

Dr Benway
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/27/08

Loc: Abilene, TX
      #6032733 - 08/18/13 12:04 PM

I think you would do well with the SX FW. I bought mine on AstroMart with considerable savings over MSRP. Mine came with a 1.25" carousel, but I replaced it with a 5 slot 2", and now am filling up a 7 slot 36mm as I can afford it.

John

buckeyestargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/12/08

Loc: IN, USA
      #6032884 - 08/18/13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Ok, I've been thinking about this a bit more and I'm wondering if I even need an electronic FW. Since I'm likely going to have to re-focus between filters anyway (even with parfocal filters because I'm using refractive optics) wouldn't it be a waste of money? The only way I could see it making sense is if I were also auto-focusing. Am I missing anything? (Other than I can't seem to find a manual FW that has 7 positions..)

Unless you are on a really tight budget (which I understand!) don't go with a manual filter wheel. I think you'll regret it. I had problems with light leaking around the thumb carousel and in general it was just a pain for serious imaging.

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: buckeyestargazer]
      #6033461 - 08/18/13 07:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unless you are on a really tight budget (which I understand!) don't go with a manual filter wheel. I think you'll regret it. I had problems with light leaking around the thumb carousel and in general it was just a pain for serious imaging.

Well, I decided to stick with the SXVR-H9 for now instead of switching to an 8300 chip, but I did order a SX 7 position USB filterwheel along with a set of Astrodon Tru-Balance Gen II E-series LRGB filters, which about wiped me out.

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6033733 - 08/18/13 10:51 PM

Good choice! The SX wheel works with many cameras, regardless of the CCD size (you can use 1.25", 36mm and 2" filters). I have used my wheel with these cameras:

-- Atik 460EX
-- SX H18
-- QHY9M
-- STF 8300
-- Orion DSI pro 3

With every camera I managed to achieve 56mm of backfocus including the OAG.

Later if you get another camera you don't need to worry about the filter wheel.

Cheers,

Jose

elbee
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Arizona
      #6034621 - 08/19/13 01:53 PM

jose -- nice setup with the STF-8300 and SX filter wheel/OAG. do you use a rotator or do manual rotation at the beginning of your session to get the guide camera on a guide star? (what about after meridian flip)

thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, droid, bilgebay, WOBentley, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1028

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics