Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
WeltevredenKaroo

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: 31°51'09" S 24°25'47" E
User reports for Desert Sky Astro DSV-3? new
      #6000359 - 07/31/13 05:49 PM

I have a Desert Sky Astro DSV-2 which I'm very happy with. I'm now looking at the DSV-3 to carry a heavier load. Anyone have use experiences on the 3? How's the manual tracking with it? =Dana

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: User reports for Desert Sky Astro DSV-3? new [Re: WeltevredenKaroo]
      #6000858 - 08/01/13 01:02 AM

It comes with a well illustrated set of directions. This includes clear directions for adjusting backlash on the slo-mo knobs. Mine needed a little adjusting, but now tracks well enough (on par with the Teegul alt-az). However, I find that I use the panhandle for tracking more often. With good balance and proper use of the QBS (which could use a tine bit of refinement), the panhandle provides smooth control.

Things I'd change? Sure. I'd like clutches that had greater range (from loose to very tight/locked), which is something I've discussed with Raul and he's looking at it. But the value is quite high with this mount.

I'd recommend it without qualification for a 9.25" and smaller SCT and fastish 5" and smaller refractor.

- Jim

Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

Loc: Arizona
Re: User reports for Desert Sky Astro DSV-3? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6001510 - 08/01/13 03:13 PM

Jim, nice looking mount/OTA combo! I have a question about the QBS. I see that the counterweight track runs fore and aft of the altitude pivot. What benefit does the counterweight have if set forward (and above OTA centerline) of the altitude pivot?

kevint1
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: West Michigan
Re: User reports for Desert Sky Astro DSV-3? new [Re: Adam Taylor]
      #6002148 - 08/01/13 09:11 PM

Sliding the weights forward in Jim's setup accommodates heavier eyepieces or lets you mount a scope with more weight at the rear end, like a Newtonian reflector. The whole QBS can be moved forward in the saddle also.

MortonH

Reged: 05/12/07

Re: User reports for Desert Sky Astro DSV-3? [Re: kevint1]
      #6032179 - 08/18/13 02:42 AM

Last weekend I used my DSV-3 with an 8" f/5 Newtonian and it was perfect. I thought it would be noticably less stable than the smaller scopes I'd had on it before (6" f/12 Mak-Cass, 110ED f/7) but it wasn't - at all!

I used my Meade LXD75 tripod at its minimum height, partly because it was windy and partly because the eyepiece is obviously higher on a Newt than a refractor or Mak. The whole thing worked beautifully. Like Jim, I keep the clutches loose and push round by hand, although I tend to push the scope instead of the handle.

What I'm wondering now is how well it would handle a larger scope like a Meade 10" SCT. The Meade 10" weighs about the same as a C11, which the mount can supposedly handle (although my tripod might not).

Is anyone using the DSV-3 with a larger SCT or Mak-Cass?

Edited by MortonH (08/18/13 02:43 AM)

teelgul
sage

Reged: 09/02/11

Loc: Australia
Re: User reports for Desert Sky Astro DSV-3? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6148807 - 10/20/13 06:04 PM

Any idea if the DSV1 or DSV2 can be used with something like TEC110 or similar as the site tells about refractors up to 102mm but does not specify any weight limitations considering that it can be used in single and double saddle configurations
Reagards
Vaidya

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 526

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics