Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5980135 - 07/19/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

I prefer a moon that doesn't blind me. It actually at 2mm exit pupil is just on the edge of tolerable. My favorite view is 1.2mm exit pupil(with a #8 yellow filter and 83x) to cut down the glare. I see more when able to have my eye at the eyepiece and I see nothing when I have to take frequent brakes due to eye comfort.

I have a similar preference. I use a 107mm aperture mask with my 140mm refractor and enjoy the views the best at 100-120x.

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: russell23]
      #5982116 - 07/20/13 10:15 PM

Over the years, I've observed the Moon through many dozens of different telescopes of varying designs and apertures. One of the scopes that I've used quite often is a 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain reflector, usually at magnifications ranging from 162 to 324x. I feel no need to use filters at smaller exit pupils. Occasionally, I'll use the old trick of turning on a white light.

Dave Mitsky

Javier1978
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/12/09

Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5983792 - 07/21/13 11:03 PM

I became a really enthusiastic lunar observer in the last year. I have a Syntha 8" f6 dob an itīs a terrific performer. A couple of nights ago I saw the Alpine Valley Rille at 270x for the first time, impressive experience. Catena Davy also looked terrific.

With a 1" thick mirror, I think itīs a really powerful "semi" grab an go.

Edited by Javier1978 (07/21/13 11:15 PM)

pdxmoon
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: Javier1978]
      #5983832 - 07/21/13 11:21 PM

Since I first wrote my first post in this thread, I've observed the moon through several scopes:

The Celestron 80ED has given me wonderful views, with 200x bright and clear, about all I can push it to with good seeing.

The Cometron 60mm has also been lovely at low power; crisp, clean, helped me learn the basic selenology of the lunar surface.

A 70mm Celestron short scope that I got at a garage sale gave me some very good grab and go views--a 10mm barlowed at 2x was sharp and bright.

And finally, a new to me late 60s Tasco gave me a very acrobatic (I had to lay on the ground, haha) view of the moon last night. But there was magic looking through that ep and that small FOV and seeing THE MOON there.

At a star party last night, I looked through 8" dobs, a 13?" dob, a Vixen 100mm Mak, the Orion 90 Mak, a few gigantic maks with complex computers, 102 4" achro, and even a reflector or two. And I came away with this overwhelming feeling that just about every scope will do service as a moon scope. They all have their special properties, and one may have a two speed focus pull and one more aperture, but I no longer worry that I don't have enough scope for the moon.

Thank goodness there is one celestial object where just about anybody, at any entry price point, can have the joy of exploration!No matter how you observe it, with whatever instrument you use, the moon is always more than just a faint dot in a black field. Lady Luna always puts on a show.

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: curiosidad]
      #5992645 - 07/27/13 09:33 AM

I commonly use my 12" f/5 dob (FL 1520mm) on the Moon at 243x (12.5x and 2x barlow). Great detail and smooth-ish surface.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6000033 - 07/31/13 01:16 PM

It does NOT take 400 hours to work that size mirror. What mfg told you this?

67champ
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: ed_turco]
      #6001868 - 08/01/13 06:35 PM

Eric,

I also have a 127mm Mak-cass and I love it. However, for about 3 weeks I had a 180mm Mak-cass, and it was noticably better! One day I would like to get another 180mm mak or bigger again. Probably need a focal reducer with them though.....

dana t

TomCorbett
sage

Reged: 07/08/13

Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: Da Bear]
      #6009553 - 08/06/13 02:04 PM

Nice scope . . . nice retriever.

pdxmoon
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? [Re: TomCorbett]
      #6033323 - 08/18/13 06:00 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Well, I'd like to nominate a scope for darn near perfect grab and go for the moon:

The AT72ED

Great views!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4136

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics